What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance's territory issues  (Read 5835 times)

vanbar6

Sundance's territory issues
« on: November 03, 2004, 10:14:59 pm »
  Hi all.  This is my first post here although I have been reading for a while in order to gain knowledge before my first spa purchase.  
 Ideally, I would like a Sundance Optima; however, the dealer insists on $8000 before tax and options.  They will provide delivery, steps cover and lifter for that price.
 I would like to be lower than that after researching what others have paid.  The problem I am having negotiating is due to Sundance's territory sales policy.
 Does anyone know a way around their "policy"?  I could drive and pick it up if I had to.
 My only other option is to go with another brand.  I have some back up models which are quite sufficient.  One is a D1 which is even more expensive but at this point I am tempted to buy the higher priced D1 just so Sundance (who is not willing to bargain at all) doesn't get my business.  I also like the master spa and have a choice picked in their line.
 Any recommendations?  I really would prefer the Optima but I don't like the mini monopoly Sundance has going!  I can purchase immediately, in cash if necessary, but the dealer is stuck on that price.
 BTW, I am located in NJ.  If you would prefer to email me directly that is fine.

Thanks,
Barb

vanbar6@comcast.net

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance's territory issues
« on: November 03, 2004, 10:14:59 pm »

rocket

• Life is good!
Re: Sundance's territory issues
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 10:23:56 pm »
Hi Vanbar6,

I don't believe that there is a sales territory for any spa dealer from the manufacturer.  

That said, I believe that a delaer will have a dealer agreement with the spa manufacturer which will normally state the following, "Any spa  that you sell you must do 2 things, deliver it and service it under the terms of the warranty."  If a customer moves to a new city, the selling dealer is no longer responsible for warranty service.  

With the above stipulations, dealers usually stay within a reasonble area in which they can effectively deliver & service their customers.

Hope that this helps.  Which D-1 are you considering?

Is there a Marquis dealer near you?

Rocket ;D

vanbar6

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 10:42:52 pm »
  The Chairman is the D1 I'm considering.  It is quite suitable and the dealer seems fine.
 I am about to check around for another Marquis dealer.  We went to one yesterday in PA and the sales guy was worse than stereotypical used car salesman you've ever seen on TV!  Here's a sample...

Barb:  I'd like the LED lights also.
Salesman:  I'll have to call my boss on that one!  Let's see, cover, lifter, steps, chemicals and LED for free? (proceeds to call "boss" in front of me)  I can't believe he went for it!  It must be your lucky day!  (he actually said that).

All that and he wanted 7600 for an Everyday 636.

Maybe I'm just too cheap :-)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 10:45:34 pm »
Chairman is a great choice. I was soaking in one last night. When you divert full power of pump 1 to the corner with the Neck-Flex jet......ooooooh that feels some good.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 10:58:36 pm »
Sorry you had that experience with the Marquis dealer.  As a Marquis dealer, I'd kick that guy out with the trash and send him to the used car dealership.

The Chairman is great tub.  D-1 is a good, quality spa.

salesdvl

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 11:15:36 pm »
The Chairman is an awesome spa.  I used to carry D-1.
If their is an Artesian dealer near you I would suggest that brand as well.  Very similar to Sundance in looks but has more jets and an extra jet pump.

good luck &  test soak. ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

poolboy34

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 12:01:03 am »
You have some excelent choices on the table for you to choose from.  Do these dealers have the models in stock in the shell and cabinetry of your choice??? that has a lot to do with the pricing.  Dealers are more likely to wiggle on price if you are looking at a model they have in stock versus a model they will have to special order, especially if it's during a slower time of year for that dealer.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 07:04:00 am »
You know, I have found, after having my tub for a year, that the minimal price differences I was fretting over really weren't that big of a deal.  I paid more than others on this board for my Vanguard, but I figured, if it gives me the kind of hot water therapy I want, then what is a few more bucks in the long run?

If you like the Optima, buy it.

Just my $.02.

Good luck!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 07:16:08 am »
Vanbar6,

Since you said your looking in NJ are you by chance looking in the Trenton area?

As far as dealers are concerned my local Sundance/Marquis dealer didn't have any Marquis on the floor and actually didn't have anything nice to say about them.

As far as D1 dealers there's one in PA and there's one in Jackson right off of 295 (think it's called Seasonal World), it's not listed on the D1 site - I just happened to call and found out.

If you would like to look at Artesian (I would suggest you do!) go to Simply Spas on Route 9 in Manalapan. They are GREAT, family run business, knowlegeable and nice people too! Tell them Vinny sent you - I told them I would talk them up and I am!

Good Luck!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 07:35:54 am »
You know, I have found, after having my tub for a year, that the minimal price differences I was fretting over really weren't that big of a deal.  I paid more than others on this board for my Vanguard, but I figured, if it gives me the kind of hot water therapy I want, then what is a few more bucks in the long run?

If you like the Optima, buy it.

Just my $.02.

Good luck!

Well said (as usual!), Lori.  

Like you, I probably paid more for my spa (Optima in our case) than the lowest prices others paid.  It's been 18 months, we are very happy with the spa, and I don't even think about what I paid.  

Find a spa you like, make the best deal you can, and get soaking!

Brewman

« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 07:36:38 am by Brewman »
Brewman

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 08:58:37 am »
Barb,

You are in EXACTLY the same position I was in when I was about to buy my tub.  Contrary to what you read in previous posts, Sundance DOES have a territorial policy--whether Sundance dealers admit it or not, I experienced it.  I tried my best to buy a Cameo from my local Sundance dealer for a reasonable price (BTW, I would have sealed the deal for $8000 with steps, lifter, ozone, LED light, delivery, setup but his bottom line was $8300 with NO options--a difference of about $800-$900 after options) but he knew I couldn't get it elsewhere and actually belittled me for trying to buy at what I felt was a reasonable price.  I approached the 2 next closest Sundance dealers about a purchase but they refused to quote me once they found where I live--which they asked up front.

As I had wet tested a Master Spas LSX and liked it immensely,  I contacted the closest MS dealer (200 miles away) and we struck a deal on an LSX for the $8 grand I had budgeted with the options listed above.  I have "thanked" the local Sundance dealer many times as the LSX has been perfect since delivery on 7/11/04.  Plus,  my wife and I feel the therapy is superior (we both wet tested the Cameo).  Read my review on the LSX here at the Reviews section.

I'm sure there will be addititonal threads rebutting this but please understand, I am accurately presenting the facts surrounding my experience and I am truthfully adding my own opinions about the tubs mentioned.  Would I buy a Cameo/Optima today for $8000?  Absolutely--but not for close to $9000.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chris_H

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 09:11:36 am »
Barb,

I would recommend you to find every dealer in New Jersey.  I will doubt you will find one dealer under $8,000.   I have no idea why in New Jersey the prices tend to be higher than other parts of the country, but I can also name at least 3 New Jersey dealers, off the top of my head, that have prices higher than the one you were quoted.  I think, $8,000 is extremely reasonable.

By the way, if you do go to the dealers in New Jersey many will deliver out of their area.  You just need to find the right one.  I am not a New Jersey dealer.  

Chris H

« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 10:18:40 am by Chris_H »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 10:44:35 am »
I bought my Sundance from a local dealer.  A friend of mine who lives in the next town over bought his from a dealer two hours away.  The only issue is he gets service from the dealer he purchased from which most likely includes a travel charge.

8000 does not sound like a bad price for an Optima.  Some have paid less, but I think you will find most have paid more.  Everybody's situation is different.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 10:48:33 am by tony »

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 11:04:03 am »
I also live in NJ just outside Philadelphia.  I don't want to throw more mud in the water but have you been to the HotSpring dealer in Moorestown.  Very friendly people and I think you will be able to get a lot for $8000.  I actually bought my HS at the Niagara dealer on Rt 73 in Berlin.  Soon after I bought mine, they stopped carrying HS but this new dealer in Moorestown is even closer to me and has been very helpful with any thing I have needed.

I looked at pretty much every dealer in the Southern/Central Jersey area so if you have any questions let me know.  I believe the Niagara dealer I dealt with now sells just Master.  I also visited a Vita dealer, Catalina dealer, CalSpa dealer, PDC dealer, D1 dealer(is the D1 dealer you are referring to the Rec Warehouse in Mt Holly??), two Sundance dealers and some more I can't remember right now.  Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 11:06:15 am »
I'm in NW NJ and I for one enjoy shopping around for price and do it with most everything.   Especially for a purchase as large as a spa.

When I was shopping the local Caldera dealer gave me a price but said he could do much better when I decided on his product.  As a result I never went back.

I ended up buying a HS from a dealer in NY (about 30 minutes) since he was 10%  lower than my local delaer and my local dealer wouldn't budge.

I wouldn't buy if I was forced to use a particular dealer, just on principal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 11:06:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42