What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Warranty  (Read 3655 times)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Warranty
« on: November 05, 2004, 03:00:14 pm »
In light of Yorag's lastest revelation (see: Buy my Cla Spa please...) I think a little info for the shoppers is in order. This is from the Dimension1 warranty (availible on-line) although every warranty has a clause like this:

"...there shall be no other waranty or obligation, expressed or implied, oral or statuatorY. No agent, dealer, service company or other party is authorized to change, modify or extend the terms of this warranty....."

Yorag is in a situation where his dealer offered, in writing,  warranty better than the manufacturer warranty. His dealer is gone. The manufacturer does not honour the dealers "extension".

In a perfect world all manufacturer warrantes would be posted on their web sites. Until then don't buy until you have read the MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY

HTM
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 03:01:54 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

Warranty
« on: November 05, 2004, 03:00:14 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Warranty
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 07:37:57 pm »
BUMP

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 01:01:17 pm »
Actually, the dealer didn't sell me an upgraded or extended warranty. He misrepresented the type of spa I purchased on the sales receipt.
At the time I purchased the spa (1996) there were two shell warranties available from Cal Spas from the factory.
The 5 year warranty was for their standard shell and the 10 year warranty for their "plus" shells. The dealer simply told us that we had the "plus" type shell and marked the sales receipt accordingly.
It wasn't until I had someone actually look at my shell recently because of the blistering issue that I found out that it wasn't the "plus" variety at all.
The difference between the two shells simply being the thickness.
The standard shell is about 1/16" thick and the "plus" shell is about 1/8".
There is no way a consumer can verify this easily at purchase. You are completely at the mercy of the dealer.
I'm sure the price I paid for the spa was inflated to reflect the "plus" type shell and I'm sure the dealer just put this money right in his pocket and laughed all the way to the bank.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 03:49:36 pm »
Probably why he's out of business now.  You can only cheat customers for so long.  
Brewman
Brewman

Zoo

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 04:28:07 pm »
Hi All,

It just goes to show you that you need to shop for a good dealer as well as a good manufacturer. I see signs around where I live offering hottubs at 30-50% off of retail. Forget it! This is why it is so important to buy from an established dealer who has been around for a number of years.

Zoo

poolboy34

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 04:58:28 pm »
The one thing I hear the most that bugs me, but at the same time makes me feel good is when a customer says to either myself or one of my staff members: "we should have bought our spa from you guys"  

It makes me feel good because it reminds me that we are doing are job, and taking care of everyone that walks through our doors.  At the same time it bugs me b/c here is someone who used to be in the market for a spa, most likely shopped us but ultimately chose not to buy from us initially.  This always eats at me, b/c obvioulsy we didn't give them our best effort to not only sell them a spa, but also on our company and the customer service we take pride in.  

I hope I'm not alone on this one.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 05:04:03 pm »
The one thing I hear the most that bugs me, but at the same time makes me feel good is when a customer says to either myself or one of my staff members: "we should have bought our spa from you guys"  

It makes me feel good because it reminds me that we are doing are job, and taking care of everyone that walks through our doors.  At the same time it bugs me b/c here is someone who used to be in the market for a spa, most likely shopped us but ultimately chose not to buy from us initially.  This always eats at me, b/c obvioulsy we didn't give them our best effort to not only sell them a spa, but also on our company and the customer service we take pride in.  

No, you are not.

These people fall into one of three categories (usually):

Thought they would save a bundle and found it was true, "you get what you pay for"

Or

They bought a good tub from a bad dealer.

Or

They are completely unreasonable people and I am glad that they are making someone elses life miserable.

HTM

zzaphod42

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 06:05:02 pm »

I have definitely been there. All too often it seems that the "buy this weekend only" gimmick catches quite a few people.

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 06:14:41 pm »
The sad thing is I bought a bad tub from a bad dealer......

We did look at Sundance and Hot Springs, but as I remember, their spas wouldn't fit in my gazebo. And as I recall it wasn't so much a price issue as it was space limitations. We paid $4,500 for the Cal Spa in late 1996 and as I remember the other two were in the $4,500 - $5,000 range as well.
The other issue that came into play was the delivery. Both HS and Sundance were quite a distance over (50 miles) from my home and wanted about $250 to deliver. The Cal Spa dealer was close and charged nothing.
It's true that you get what you pay for, however when the dealer grossly misrepresents what you're getting, it's a whole different ball game.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 09:33:12 am »
I would just like to add something for you dealers to think about.  Not all of the customers who don't buy from you fall into the three categories mentioned.  I would like to add one.

When I was shopping, I found the HotSpring dealer, the LA Spa dealer and the Sundance dealer to ALL be great.  They had all been in business for 20 years or more.  They all gave me great references.  None of them bashed the other brands I was considering.  As a matter of fact, the LA Spa dealer went out of her way to find a tub for me!  The only problem I found with the Sundance dealer was that they seemed to only have one service tech, which I used as a consideration because my coin tosses weren't getting me anywhere!

I just didn't have enough money to buy a Vanguard, a Fiji (LA Spa) and an Altamar (Sundance).

I have bought chemicals from the Sundance dealer (who is closest to me), especially after my dealer quit selling spas.

P.S.  I did inform all dealers why I chose or did not choose their tub.  I hope they didn't think badly of me for not buying from them.  It was not personal.  I just really liked the Vanguard the best!  Plain and simple!  Although, it was a tough decision!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 10:37:17 am »
I would just like to add something for you dealers to think about.  Not all of the customers who don't buy from you fall into the three categories mentioned.  I would like to add one.

When I was shopping, I found the HotSpring dealer, the LA Spa dealer and the Sundance dealer to ALL be great.  They had all been in business for 20 years or more.  They all gave me great references.  None of them bashed the other brands I was considering.  As a matter of fact, the LA Spa dealer went out of her way to find a tub for me!  The only problem I found with the Sundance dealer was that they seemed to only have one service tech, which I used as a consideration because my coin tosses weren't getting me anywhere!

I just didn't have enough money to buy a Vanguard, a Fiji (LA Spa) and an Altamar (Sundance).

I have bought chemicals from the Sundance dealer (who is closest to me), especially after my dealer quit selling spas.

P.S.  I did inform all dealers why I chose or did not choose their tub.  I hope they didn't think badly of me for not buying from them.  It was not personal.  I just really liked the Vanguard the best!  Plain and simple!  Although, it was a tough decision!

Lori;

You will notice above that I did say in brackets (usually).

It was nice of you to call them all. We would all be better sales peolpe if we received such calls.

I do beleive you fell into my "good tub/bad dealer" category however. If you had a good dealer, they would still be around, or maybe you have some other explaination why they no longer sell spas.....

:)

HTM

fritz

• I like pools
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 01:29:24 pm »
yeah, if custumers would honestly tell my, why they bought a tub at onother place, I could improve much faster. Most I hear nothing. And calling them leaves a
uneasy feeling, when I find the answer is  not the real
reason.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 07:04:37 am »
I saw your disclaimer, HTM, I just thought I would add my experience.   ;D

They weren't a bad dealer, they just didn't want to bother with spas anymore.  They moved their store, smaller building.  I have a feeling the owners are looking to retire soon.  They have been in business for 35 years.  I am speculating on this one, but having been in business (and they had sold some kind of spa all of this time) for that long, they had to be doing some things right.  They had sold the HotSpring brand for 5 years.  Maybe I'm in denial about them?  I don't know.  They were always great when I went in, whether to ask questions before the sale, the 2 wet tests I scheduled, or to buy chemicals after the sale!  The only down side was trying to get there when the Sooners were playing a home game!   :P

I felt it was only right to call the sales people who had spent so much time with me.  They had taken time with me, which is money out of there pocket, and I believe everyone's time and effort should be worth something.  Even though I did not buy a spa from them, they deserved to know why.  Plus, I figured I would be buying some chemicals and stuff from them, since I lived closer to them than my dealer.

Ok, I guess I'll shut up now!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 07:04:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42