What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thermal Blankets  (Read 3305 times)

SpaNY

Thermal Blankets
« on: October 23, 2005, 05:50:06 am »
I'm looking for info , feedback on the use of Thermal Blankets. I live in the Northeast and was inquiring to see if they provide enough extra insulation to justify getting. Do they also protect protect your cover (inside)? One additonal concer I have is if you have a cover lifter, then each time you remove the coveryou would also have to manaully take off the banket and put it somewhere. Perhaps over the coverlifter. Seems like a lot of extra work if you don't get much out of them? Appreciate any feedback.

Hot Tub Forum

Thermal Blankets
« on: October 23, 2005, 05:50:06 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Thermal Blankets
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 09:06:24 am »
I live in NJ and bought a foam floating blanket. I can't compare the energy efficiency as my tub is only 4 months old and I put it on 2 weeks after I started my tub.

I have neck jets so when I cut the foam I left openings for the jets to hit the water and I didn't cut it exactly correctly at some places.  :-[

With that said, I do get condensation on the spa cover, but it does seem to have less than when it wasn't on. My thoughts are that with 95% of the water covered, I should be getting 95% less condensation and 95% less exposure to the water's chemistry. Probably without sealing the water totally I'm not making the airspace between the cover and floating blanket  more efficient.

As for the lifting of the floating blanket, Doc sells a "cover leash" to lift it when the main cover comes up.

drprwnap

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:22:10 am »

As for the lifting of the floating blanket, Doc sells a "cover leash" to lift it when the main cover comes up.

Vinny,
Did you buy the "cover leash"? I have looked at them but I'm not sure I want to poke holes in my cover (no matter how small)!

drprwnap
8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:58:17 am »
Yes,  I bought it.

I only put 2 straps on but it comes with 3, I couldn't get to the center of the cover.

I had concerns about putting holes into the cover and if you read the warranty, it does void it :( , but I figured what the heck!

It does work well but I found  the foam does flap in the wind at times and the hole in the foam looks like it has elongated.

There's a post here from ZZTop on "using" a bubble blanket and attaching it to the cover. I decided not go that route because I have head rests and figured I would protect them.

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:06:16 pm »
NY,

There have been a few posts on this subject.  I also figured that it may help in the insulation and cover wear departments.  Haven't gotten our second electricity bill yet, so I can't comment on the cost differential.  We live in So Cal, so my guess is the savings would probably be minimal.

I spent about $25 at a Leslie's for mine, and then custom cut it to fit.  I spent quite a while with a pair of scissors, carefully trimming it to the contours of the tub a little bit at a time.  When it was done, it fits almost perfect.  I'll take a picture of it this afternoon and post it later today.

As for the removal, it is a little bit of a pain.  My current method is to open the first half of the cover, then pull half of the blanket up on to the top.  Then I simply use the cover lifter to pull the rest of it off the water.  If it is still hanging in the water, I just tuck it outside the shell edge, between the cover and the shell.  Putting it back in is simple:  Drop the cover lifter down, and the blanket just slides back into the water.  

rcbako

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:03:04 am »
I just bought my thermal blanket at Nextag. I didn't find any problem regarding of its usage. No double effort is required based on my experience.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:03:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42