What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: spa blanket  (Read 3096 times)

pjjp21

• We Love our Emerald!!
spa blanket
« on: November 06, 2004, 11:19:51 am »
are the spa blankets woth buying.  do they really help with keeping the water temp up. what about in the winter, if you remove the blanket to go into the tub, does'nt it freeze?  overall is it something i should buy.. i live in new york, just so you know the temp ranges.

thanks

john

Hot Tub Forum

spa blanket
« on: November 06, 2004, 11:19:51 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: spa blanket
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 12:17:17 pm »
Good questions.  I live in the snow belt too, and have been wondering the same thing.  
I'd think that any extra insulation on top of the water would hold heat in a bit better, and save some electricity.  I can see where removing and replacing the blanket might be a pita.  
On an earlier thread, someone came up with the idea to velcro the blanket to the underside of the cover.  It essentially comes off and folds up with the cover.  This idea was more to preserve the cover from rotting.  

Brewman
Brewman

steve771

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 12:48:23 pm »
I tried one and didn't like it.  Not so much a pain to remove, mine wanted to "fold" when the filter jets came on, thus losing some effectiveness.  But I bought mine mainly to protect the cover and it just didn't seem to help that much.  (I didn't attach it to the cover, just floated it)  You guys in the North might get an insulation benefit, but the freezing concern might be an issue as well.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 04:34:36 pm »
Repost.

(Everything I know on how to protect and give added years of life to your expensive Spa Cover.)

HOW TO ATTACH A SPA BLANKET TO YOUR HOT TUB COVER.  

I used strips of Velcro about 3/4 inch wide by3 inches long.  I spaced four of them out on the outside edge of the cover.  You may wish to use more depending on the length of the cover.  

The adhesive on the velcro does not stick to the vinyl cover very well so I used Clear Silicone.  Apply the hook side of the velcro on the cover, the rug side on the Spa blanket.
Remove the Spa Cover and lay the spa blanket over the tub.  I cut the blanket to the OUTSIDE dimensions of the tub. Then install the Spa Cover and Silicone the velcro strips onto the blanket and Cover while they are in place.

Let the silicone set and you are ready to go.

I have a cover lifter and when I flip the first half of the cover over, the Spa blanket goes with the cover.

BTW, I left the other end of the spa blanket loose, but you could do the same thing on the other end too,  but make sure you have left enough length so there is an allowance for the folding cover.   Whether you attach the other end or not  when cutting the Spa blanket be sure you leave extra length for allowance of the fold of the cover when it opens.   Approx 8 - 12 inches, depending on the thickness of the Spa Cover.

By using Velcro when it is time to replace the Spa Blanket, just apply velcro on the new replacement and away you go.

To seal and protect the top and underside of the vinyl and stiching of your Spa Cover it is a good idea to spray it with 303 Aerospace protectant (www.303.products.com).  Beyond being a sunscreen, it also helps prevent mildew growth.  Do Not use ArmorAll or Black Magic!

A Spa Blanket is Cheap Insurance, and it will save you money on keeping the heat in the tub, helps prevent the cover from absorbing water and getting heavy to lift, and keeps the Chlorine and chemical gases from attacking the underside of your Spa Cover.

I have found that if you do not attach the Spa Blanket to the Spa Cover it can be a real pain in the ass to handle and store.

I also use Steve Russell's Cover Saver  ( Email:  srsb@shaw.ca)
which takes the stress off the stitched Spa Cover Hinge when using a Cover Lifter.  It could also add years of service to the Cover.

A word about Cover Lifters.  A Good Idea!
If you do not use a cover lifter, over time your Spa Cover will get damaged in handling it on and off the spa and will suffer abrasions and cuts which will allow water to enter and water log the insulation.
A cover lifter affords an easy way to effortlessly move the cover on and off the spa and keeps it in good shape.

If your Spa is not in a Gazebo it is also a good idea to put a plastic tarp over the Top of the Spa Cover in Winter to protect it from rain, ice and snow.  Just pull it off along with the accumulated snow before opening.  It is just that easy!

Hope this helps,

Happy Hot Tubbing . . . .  

Ps  before I decided to attached the Spa blanket to the Cover, I used two plastic potato chip bag clips( looks like a bulldog clip) which I attached to one wall of my gazebo to hang the blanket when I used the hot tub.  It got the blanket out of the way but wasn't as convienent to handle.

Regards,    Zz
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 04:35:01 pm by ZzTop »

Zoo

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 04:37:13 pm »
Good re-post ZZ-Top,

I have printed this out as a reference!

Zoo

P.S. How is that Beachcomber treating you?

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 06:51:17 pm »
Good re-post ZZ-Top,

I have printed this out as a reference!

Zoo

P.S. How is that Beachcomber treating you?

Thanks for asking Zoo.

The Beachcomber is great, I have had no problems .

rcbako

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 09:09:12 am »
Thanks ZZtop. I also printed it for future use. Looking forward for positive result.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 09:09:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42