What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Startup - Step by Step  (Read 3753 times)

Sam

Water Startup - Step by Step
« on: November 01, 2004, 08:59:23 pm »
Just preparing to start the new tub up this coming weekend.  I used a Taylor Test kit (for the first time) to test my tap water (city water).  Did a lot of reading on this subject... maybe just enough reading to confuse me  ???.

This is what I found..
Free Chlorine 0
Total Chlorine 1
PH 7.4
TA 70
Calcium 70

My questions are:
1.  Do the above numbers sound reasonable for city water or did I mess something up.
2.  Can I leave my PH alone since it is at 7.4.
3.  My TA and Calcium sound low.  What should I raise them to?  I'm thinking 90 and 150 but am not really sure.
3.  Can I assume that I will get the same reading from the tub when I fill it?  

Maybe dumb questions but am just double checking my thought process.

Thanks
Sam

Oh ya, I'm going to Nature 2... do I need to test for copper and   should I be managing it?

Hot Tub Forum

Water Startup - Step by Step
« on: November 01, 2004, 08:59:23 pm »

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
Re: Water Startup - Step by Step
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 09:13:36 pm »
The following link will take you to a good place for some of the info you are looking for:

info

Then you should check out the FAQs at the same site.  There are 2 very good "formulas" there you can follow with great results.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 09:15:39 pm by ttodd1 »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 10:07:40 am »
Just preparing to start the new tub up this coming weekend.  I used a Taylor Test kit (for the first time) to test my tap water (city water).  Did a lot of reading on this subject... maybe just enough reading to confuse me  ???.

This is what I found..
Free Chlorine 0
Total Chlorine 1
PH 7.4
TA 70
Calcium 70

My questions are:
1.  Do the above numbers sound reasonable for city water or did I mess something up.
2.  Can I leave my PH alone since it is at 7.4.
3.  My TA and Calcium sound low.  What should I raise them to?  I'm thinking 90 and 150 but am not really sure.
3.  Can I assume that I will get the same reading from the tub when I fill it?  

Maybe dumb questions but am just double checking my thought process.

Thanks
Sam

Oh ya, I'm going to Nature 2... do I need to test for copper and   should I be managing it?

City water around here is very similair.

By raising the TA, the pH will also rise. If you raise TA to 120 pH will go to 7.6, which will be OK. 150 CH is also good to aim for. Yes the water should be the same one in the tub.

No dumb questions here, just some dumb people like me answering :P
Homeworks Financing Representative

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 11:05:37 am »
Sam,
As HotTubMan alluded, the only dumb question is the unasked one.  You are approaching everything very well it seems--especially your Taylor Test kit investment--isn't that booklet great?  The only thing I might add to HTM's sage advice is to make sure to give your adjustments plenty of time--24 hrs. between adjustments is not too much....
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Sam

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 11:34:50 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I printed out the info found in the link above.  Funny - read that stuff some time ago and completely forgot about it.

Should be soaking in 4 days  ;D

salesdvl

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 09:18:11 am »

As HotTubMan alluded, the only dumb question is the unasked one.
 8)

Yes, I have a rule at my store that we never laugh at any question a customer asks us until we are sure they are gone.     ;D  Just kidding.....maybe ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 09:18:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42