What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newby advice on maintainence  (Read 3114 times)

MaryM

• Proud new owner of an Optima
Newby advice on maintainence
« on: October 31, 2004, 08:07:48 am »
Last night was our first soak; how good it is  :D
Now, for the details - How ofter should we test the water? How often do we add the Bromine? We are using Bromine tablets. The info for the Optima said we should just fill the Brominator with the tablets, so we did. Do we just keep it at a filled level? (We also have an ozonator)

Thanks,
Mary

Hot Tub Forum

Newby advice on maintainence
« on: October 31, 2004, 08:07:48 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Newby advice on maintainence
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 08:16:50 am »
Step away from the Bromine..... !!!

You'll find that Bromine tabs are 40% chlorine. Chlorine, when used in a dispenser such as yours, will damage the vapor barrier inside your spa cover. This will cause the cover to absorb water and get too heavy to lift in a short period of time.

If you want to stay with Bromine, switch to powdered bromine, or go find some "Brilliance." The latter is made by the Baqua folks, and you will have to put it into a floating feeder, but that's ok because there are times you may get the bromine level up too high and you will need to pull the feeder out for a few days.

My favorite way to care for a spa is this:

keep the pH at about 7.4
TA at about 120
Add a TEASP00N of Dichlor for each person who just got out of the spa.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 08:17:44 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 09:25:58 am »
I keep my customers on Bromine powder as long as possible. Similair system as Chas stated.

pH 7.5
TA 80-120
1/2 teaspoon of bromine/person/20 minutes.

Works well for most of my customers. After a month or two some of our customers start using pucks and a floating dispenser. This system somes with conveniences and dangers (as Chas mentioned above).

Chas, are you saying NO to tablets period, or just for a novice?

HTM
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 09:33:14 am by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

salesdvl

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 12:13:58 pm »
I have never cared for the smell of Bromine.  To me it has a dirty sock kind of smell.  I am very happy with putting a tsp of Di-chlor in when we get out and then a cap of non chlorine shcok once a week.
Measure once, cut twice.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 03:04:03 pm »
The advice that hottubman and chas gave you should be followed.  Use the bromine granular and you'll be happier overtime.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 03:22:10 pm »
Chas, are you saying NO to tablets period, or just for a novice?
HTM
Yes. I mean NO. I mean: I'm saying, "don't use tabs (Bromine or Trichlor) in any covered spa."

Yes, there are some folks who use the tub twice daily, or for some other reason seem to do ok with it, but the vast majority of people using tabs in a feeder do damage to the cover (keep in mind that you can't SEE this damage, it's inside the cover) and some of them also do damage to pillows and such.

I do sell a few of the tabs, but the people either have uncovered tubs (in-ground or similar) or they have just not asked for advice. One of them thinks I'm trying to sell him something more expensive - so I let him go right on using the tabs. And I have sold him three covers in 12 years - would have been four, but he lets them go till he can't even open them.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

david

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 03:55:46 pm »
I will be getting my hot tub in about a month.  Appreciate the advice on daily use.  Where do you suggest we buy the chemicals and what brands are best.  I would like to buy over the internet so I do not have to drive 20-30 minutes to refill every 3 months or so.  Thanks

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 04:05:40 pm »
Yes. I mean NO. I mean: I'm saying, "don't use tabs (Bromine or Trichlor) in any covered spa."

Yes, there are some folks who use the tub twice daily, or for some other reason seem to do ok with it, but the vast majority of people using tabs in a feeder do damage to the cover (keep in mind that you can't SEE this damage, it's inside the cover) and some of them also do damage to pillows and such.

I do sell a few of the tabs, but the people either have uncovered tubs (in-ground or similar) or they have just not asked for advice. One of them thinks I'm trying to sell him something more expensive - so I let him go right on using the tabs. And I have sold him three covers in 12 years - would have been four, but he lets them go till he can't even open them.

Since we are discussing cover and pillow damage, lets not forget the effects of ozone. Ozone will shorten the life of pillows and covers because it is an oxidizer. The bromine tablets don't do damge by releasing adequate sanitizer levels. The damage occurs by allowing the levels to go to high, creating the oxidizing effect.

That said I am not defending brom-tabs or attacking ozone. A well built ozone system will minimize or eliminate the potential negative effects. Taking the time to monitor your sanitizer levels will minimize or eliminate the potential negatives of a tablet/floater system.

HTM

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 05:34:04 pm »
I will be getting my hot tub in about a month.  Appreciate the advice on daily use.  Where do you suggest we buy the chemicals and what brands are best.  I would like to buy over the internet so I do not have to drive 20-30 minutes to refill every 3 months or so.  Thanks

David,
I would recommend to buy from the dealer that sold you the spa.  Have them shipped from his store.  There are many reasons:  he's the expert and can help when you have problems, if you aren't maintaining your water properly, bad things can happen, cheaper products add fillers and it takes more to get the job done (costs more in the long run), most of us have chosen to sell the brand of chemicals based  upon experience and quality of the brand, etc.  

Jordy

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 12:59:40 am »
Hi Rocket,
That's really good advice. At least that way the Dealer should be able to offer help based on first hand experience with the product line they carry. There are many quality lines of chemical (watercare) products available and will reduce confusion if everybody (you and your dealer) stay on the same page.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 10:01:51 am »
Another plus buying(and testing with) from your dealer:

Water care history - Some warranties have out clauses based on water chemistry. Things like heaters, jets and covers can be damaged through poor water management. Some manufacturers will try not to pay if they suspect mis-use. Your water testing history can show you were doing things right, or at least trying. Your dealer will be more likely to go to bat for you if he has evidence you were managing your water well. He/she will also be more likely top back you if you are continuing to business with them.

Some manufacturers would never play such games.

Here is one example, pool related. We had a customer go through two 250K BTU heaters in 3 years. The pysical evidence on the heater suggested poor water chemistry (scale build up). The Pentair rep went to the customners house and his stance was "mis-use". Well my customer had his pool water tested 2-3 times/month and with a couple of statistal anomolies aside had excellent if not perfect chemistry. We argued to Pentair that the customer was doing everything right and the heater was replaced, free of charge. If our cutomer entered that fight alone, he most likely would have lost with nothing to disprove the pysical evidence.

HTM

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 10:01:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42