What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Niagara / Sundance Optima  (Read 4636 times)

wrobo

• Go Buckeyes !!!
Caldera Niagara / Sundance Optima
« on: October 28, 2004, 10:44:16 pm »
Hello Folks,

I have been lurking for a while and feel that I have gleaned quite a bit of information from this forum.  Thank you!  I have done quite a bit of research, because when I commit $8-9k on a spa, I want to be satisfied with my purchase and know that I have done my due diligence.

I have visited a number of dealers, and coupling that with researching specifications, I think that I have narrowed it down to 4 spas that I would like to wet test: the Niagara, Optima, Euphoria SA, and the Grandee.  Based on my "feeling" about the respective dealers, I am leaning towards the Niagara and the Optima.

One of the main difference that I see between the two aforementioned spas is the filter area.  The Caldera has a 75 sq ft filter whereas the Optima has 125 sq ft.  Is this a really big deal (please be objective)?  If I properly maintain my spa, cleaning the filter regularly, will the additional 50 sq ft make a world of difference.  The Optima dealer implied that it would.

I kind of believe that when you get down to these final 4, you pretty much can't go wrong.  Of course it boils down to how the spa fits/massages you, but then comfort with dealer comes into play, as well as price.  For the record, I think I might prefer the Sundance and the Niagara to the Euphoria SA because of the blower function.  I am a little turned off to the Grandee because the dealer's price is exorbinant (sp?).  I went in 2X, talked to two different reps, and got two different high prices (the second time - during the big sale - I was quoted the highest price of approximately $!0,500 + tax).  The 3 other tubs were round $8300 (without any negotiation).  All these quotes included all the extras most people usually get (sans stereo).

Enough of my rambling...  Thank you in advance for your help regarding the filter question as well as general thoughts!  I am pumped because I have convinced the wife to go wet test.  We do our first soak tomorrow in the Niagara.

Jeff

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Niagara / Sundance Optima
« on: October 28, 2004, 10:44:16 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Caldera Niagara / Sundance Optima
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 11:09:02 am »
Go with the spa you like best.  Both filters will do the job well.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 11:48:30 am »
Wet test both and go with what fits/feels best. Both spas will filter just fine.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

salesdvl

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 12:24:04 pm »
I too say wet test all finalists and pick from that experience.  Us old timers remember the single 25 sq ft filter days and spa water was just as clean. ( assuming proper chemicals )  

If you like the Optima you may look at the Artesian Emerald.  It is the exact same layout with 3 jet pumps instead of 2.  ( shameless plug - sorry  :) )
Measure once, cut twice.

Top_Cat

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 01:06:53 pm »
We oldtimers do have a lot to say. In your case a lot depends on whether or not you like a dome in the footwell. The Optima has it and the Niagara doesn't. They both are good spas; go with your feelings after wet testing. Personally, I think that Sundance is a slightly better brand, but I don't like domes in the footwell. Nobody ever said spa choices are easy.

wrobo

• Go Buckeyes !!!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 04:07:02 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  My thoughts are that the footwell may be a good thing.  My wife is 5' tall and I have heard that the footwell can be good to help keep a smaller person in the seat.  Conversely, I am 6'3" and perhaps this may not be the best for me?  I guess that we will get get some experience when we wet test this evening.  Once again - Thanks!

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 04:21:45 pm »
Glad to hear you have narrowed it down and are wet testing!!  Have Fun!!  All 4 are good qualilty tubs.  

With regard to your filter question, the amount of square foot doesn't really have much bearing.  The way the water is filtered would be much more important.  I have owned tubs with only 25 square feet and they stayed the same in clarity as a spa with 150 square feet that I have owned.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 04:22:29 pm »
The best thing about the foot dome is the awsome foot jets that accompany it.  I don't consider it in the way at all.  
Brewman
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 04:27:57 pm »
Wet tests are great because they'll tell you how comfortable a spa is and you definitely want one that has a way of allowing you to stay in the seat and not float away.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

fritz

• I like pools
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 04:13:19 pm »
Hy wrobo,
best thing is go and wet test!
don't hury with desicions ans don't limit yourself before
wet testing.
sundance, beachcomber, hotspring, jacuzi
check them all and don't get pressured by todays low prices.

have fun testing!  fritz from switzerland

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 05:02:49 pm »
I agree with let the wet test help make your decision. The tubs you are considering are all fine products.

wrobo

• Go Buckeyes !!!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 05:58:24 pm »
Hello Folks,

I wet tested the Niagara and Geneva yesterday, and had a wonderful time.  I do not think that I have been that relaxed in a loooong time.  I almost fell asleep on the ride home (maybe an exageration), and when I finally made it into bed, I kind of felt like a limp noodle (consider that a good thing).  I slept wonderfully.  My 8 hours felt like a 10 hour sleep without a spa (without the back ache).    Does the relaxation-inducing qualities of a spa provide this type of reaction each time the spa is used?  If it does, I will be purchasing sooner than later.

I kind of feel that I owe it to myself to wet test a couple of more spas, but I believe that it will be hard for the other spas to beat yesterday's experience.    These spas felt heavenly.  The dealer was an extremely low/no pressure gentleman, who also does the other things to prep the site for spa use (kind of like a full service dealer).  His prices that he ballparked for contruction costs (decking/patio) seemed reasonable.  We did not even get into spa costs.  I am not overly concerned with this, because I was in his shop before, dealt with his son, and the son's ballpark prices seemed fair.

This dealer kept his shop open for an additional 3.5 hours past closing to take care of myself and my wife.  His low-key demeanor and no pressure tactics are the characteristics of a salesperson that I like to do business with.  He also provide my wife and myself with a gift upon our leaving (gift certificate to movie theatre).  This gentleman seemed open and honest with his opinions (and extremely knowledgable), even to the point of recommending not to buy an enclosure to put around the spa.

This gentleman is coming to visit us at home this week in order to share his thoughts on the spa location, as well as check the electrical in our house (to make sure that the electricianl costs will be reasonable).  At this point we will probably discuss the financial points.

I just wanted to share the nice experience that I had last evening.

Jeff

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
RE: Wet Testing
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 06:12:30 pm »
That's great Jeff! However, that's your first wet test. Be sure to try others. We tested a Jacuzzi Premium 370 first and thought that was great. Then we tested a Caldera Geneva Utopia and thought that was better. Then we tested a Hotspring Envoy and thought that was even a better tub. Anyhow, you get the picture. After three weeks of testing we ended up with a HS Vista. This dealer sounds really good, but try some others before you get to feeling too committed to your Caldera salesman.

Hot Tub Forum

RE: Wet Testing
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 06:12:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42