What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: need help asap  (Read 12170 times)

lizzie

need help asap
« on: October 27, 2004, 02:01:42 pm »
we're looking at a jacuzzi j-345 and a hot springs prodigy as both dealers a local. any suggestions? want to buy one this weekend

Hot Tub Forum

need help asap
« on: October 27, 2004, 02:01:42 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: need help asap
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 02:04:51 pm »
Wet test and you will know which one to pick. Both are good choices.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 02:09:05 pm »
I agree with HotTubMan.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

lizzie

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 02:23:24 pm »
wet tested both J-345 and hot springs prodigy, but still can't decide.

Chris_H

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 02:24:14 pm »
For the record, I think Jacuzzi makes and inferior product compared to Hotspring.  

My reasons are as follows:

The Hotspring has a better warranty on the jets.  5 years versus 1 year for the Jacuzzi.

The Hotspring has a better warranty on the cabinet.  5 years versus 1 year for the Jacuzzi.

The warranty for the heater, pumps, electronic controls, and motors for both brands are 5 years.  However, the Hotspring has an unconditional 5 year warranty on the heater.  Jacuzzi does not have an unconditional warranty on the heater.

In my opinion, the filtration the Hotspring is also much better.  
On a spa with water on your dealer’s showroom floor, I recommend you to take the cartridges out for both brands.  What you will notice is that some oils and debris will fall out of the cartridge for both brands.  The Hotspring has a nice little weir door that will not allow that debris to be exposed to the rest of the spa.  Unfortunately, the Jacuzzi Premium does not have the nice little weir door, and the debris gets exposed to the rest of the spa.  Clean water is pretty important to me.

salesdvl

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 03:14:27 pm »
I agree that both are good choices.  I agree with Chris that Hot Spring would have the edge.  I have a 1989 Hot Spring and it is still going strong.
Measure once, cut twice.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 03:27:48 pm »
When shopping I looked at Jacuzzi.  The only impression I had was that the waterfall thing on the jacuzzi looked like it would fall off with one sharp blow.

I have a Hot Springs and love it.  Very reputable tub from a very reputable company.

Sundance is also a very reputable company.  Since a buyout a while ago Jacuzzi is owned by Sundance and they may share some components (lots of discussion on this here).

If there is a Sundance near you, check it out as one more thing to look at.

If it were between the Hot Springs and the jacuzzi, I would say all things equal, get the Hot Springs.

-Ed

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 10:57:58 pm »
Naaaaa Sundance did not buy Jacuzzi.The Jacuzzi J-315-J345s are Sweetwaters that are the cheaper Sundances and the Jacuzzis J355-J385 are more like the Sundances...the upper Jacuzzis start from $6000 and goes up from there.Jt

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 11:29:56 am »
I love how Jacuzzis "are Sweetwaters that are the cheaper Sundances" up to the model Johnny got and from HIS model on up they are top notch. I think I met him once on a street corner selling ROLLECKS watches out of his trenchcoat.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 01:01:17 pm »
Hi Lizzie,

I took delivery of a Jacuzzi J-345 October 5.  Loving it so far.  I was in the exact same position as you.  I have owned a Hot Springs Classic, and a Hot Spot.

In comparing the Prodigy, it's a much smaller tub (shorter as well).  Jacuzzi's jetting compared to the Prodigy only, I believe has more options.  With Jacuzzi, you can add air to the line, which makes them incredibly powerful, or just have the water coming out.  I opted for the LED Light, CD Ozone, and Cover lifter.  I don't regret my choice one bit, because my previous tubs have all been too small.  At 7x7, the 345 is a perfect size fo us.

I must heartily disagree with Chris H.  My warranty card says, and it's right in front of me "5 years equipment and controls"  "5 years plumbing components"

No problem at all with the water fall, and I have 5-8 year old kids in it all the time.  

yes, Jacuzzi owns Sundance and Sweetwater, but from my experience, Jacuzzi offers great value for the money.  The Prodigy here can be slightly less, to $ 1000-$1500 more depending on the equipment you put on it.  and I don't think that 4 adults would be remotely comfortable in it.  It would be a nice choice however if it's just a 2 person situation.  

My two cents worth....

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 01:01:57 pm »
The HotSprings EE models are probably the best built and most reliable spa on the market.  If your wet test didn't swing you one way or the other, I would chose the HotSpring.

Chris_H

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 02:02:26 pm »
Mark35:

Unfortunately, you are completely wrong.  Since I hate when people tell me that I am incorrect, lets break down the Jacuzzi Premium warranty.

It specifically states in your warranty in the “Equipment and Controls” section the items that are included in the 5-year warranty.  Those items are “specifically the pumps, heater, air blower and control systems are warranted against malfunctions due to defects in workmanship or materials for five years from the original date of purchase.”  

This DOES NOT include the jets or cabinet.  Those items have a separate warranty.

It specifically states in your warranty in the “Plumbing Components” section that your spa is warranted against leaks due to defects in workmanship or materials for five years from the original date of purchase.  

This would include the glue, the pvc piping, and all fittings.  This DOES NOT include your jets or your cabinet.  As stated before, those items have a separate warranty.

It also says in the second sentence in the “Plumbing Components”section that “The light lenses, fuses, headrests, CABINET FINISH and filter are warranted to be free of defects in workmanship and materials at the time of delivery.”  

Your cabinet has a warranty at the time of delivery.  Not even one year.  I guess I was wrong on that one.

It also says in the third sentence in the “Plumbing Components” section that  “All other factory-installed components not mentioned SPECIFICALLY are warranted against malfunction due to defects in workmanship and materials for one year from the original date of purchase.”  

This would include your jets.  They would have a one-year warranty.  

Also, do you think you need another copy of the warranty?  I am sure I can get one for you.

Have a great day!

Chris H

salesdvl

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 02:14:30 pm »

No problem at all with the water fall, and I have 5-8 year old kids in it all the time.  

I'm sorry, does this mean you have 5 children that are 8 yrs old that use it or that you have children ranging in age from 5-8.  just curious.  
Measure once, cut twice.

poolboy34

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 02:15:03 pm »
Ok this has gotten childish........Can we please as professionals let customers choose spas on what they feel is RIGHT for THEM!!!!  And can we as professionals stick to giving customers good, non-biased advice based on facts and educated opinions w/o having to badmouth all of the companies out there to make a point!?!?!?!?!?!   What ever happened to giving good customer service before, during and most importantly AFTER the sale?????????

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 02:26:48 pm »

I'm sorry, does this mean you have 5 children that are 8 yrs old that use it or that you have children ranging in age from 5-8.  just curious.  

or does it mean you have some where between 5 and 8 children but cannot count that fast or that high?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 02:26:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42