What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Keeping rodents out  (Read 12424 times)

thunder57

Keeping rodents out
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:38:14 am »
My new HS Prodigy is being delivered on Saturday. A few years ago I had to replace my pool heater because of rats getting in for the warmth and eating the wires. Any good suggestions on preventing this happening to my new spa?

Hot Tub Forum

Keeping rodents out
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:38:14 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Keeping rodents out
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 11:42:59 am »
Your new Prodigy will have a vent screen on the outlet for the jet pump shroud, and a vent screen on the air inlet under the door. This latter screen will need to be trimmed around the power cord or conduit - make it nice and tight, and you should be fine.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 11:43:52 am »
But - if you live in a rodent-infested area, putting a tray of moth balls in the motor compartment is supposed to be a good idea.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 11:46:03 am »
Before the delivery crew puts the spa in place inspect it closely to be sure there are no crannies for the rodents to crawl through to get in the spa. You need to realize they don't need much space to make their way in, as they are nature's contortionists. If it’s well designed they should not have an entry point.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 12:51:29 pm »
If you live in a cold weather area, field mice, more than rats, have a knack of getting through the smallest of openings.  The equipment compartment of a spa is a perfect winter home.  I keep moth balls and decon there for preventative measures.

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 01:22:31 pm »
If you live in a cold weather area, field mice, more than rats, have a knack of getting through the smallest of openings.  The equipment compartment of a spa is a perfect winter home.  I keep moth balls and decon there for preventative measures.

I do the same and for an extra measure I have 2 outside cats :o

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 01:37:43 pm »
My new HS Prodigy is being delivered on Saturday. A few years ago I had to replace my pool heater because of rats getting in for the warmth and eating the wires. Any good suggestions on preventing this happening to my new spa?

Keep J/A away from your tub and you should have a problem.... ;D

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 01:56:24 pm »
I have used several sheets of Bounce which I replace every 3 months.  This seems to repel mice and insects.
I also sprayed around the perimiter for ants which has resolved that problem.

Regards, Zz

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 02:17:13 pm »
I have a "mouse call", made by the same people that make the "duck call", and I just shoot them when they stick their heads out.  But that's me.
Measure once, cut twice.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 06:15:04 pm »
I have a "mouse call", made by the same people that make the "duck call", and I just shoot them when they stick their heads out.  But that's me.

LMAO, I can picture it now - NASCAR hat on backwards, beer in hand and 6 pack nearby, Hank Williams Jr. playing in the background, little mouse hides tacked to the wall.....

The heck with the "Urban Cowboy", you my friend are the URBAN REDNECK OF SPATOPIA ;D(great, now someone’s going to choose that as a handle!)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 06:45:10 pm »
LMAO, I can picture it now - NASCAR hat on backwards, beer in hand and 6 pack nearby, Hank Williams Jr. playing in the background, little mouse hides tacked to the wall.....

I'm guessing no shirt on as well and maybe missing a frontal tooth (or two). Upon request he'll pull out the "COPS" VHS tape he has with the episode he was on when the police came due to the neighbor complaints about the constant gun shot noise.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 07:29:49 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 06:50:40 pm »
How do I upload my COPS video to this site........
Homeworks Financing Representative

salesdvl

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 07:14:43 pm »
"Beer in hand"????  that would throw off my shootin' hand.  I have one of those hats with 2 cans on top and straws comin around.   ;D ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 07:17:13 pm »
"Beer in hand"????  that would throw off my shootin' hand.  I have one of those hats with 2 cans on top and straws comin around.   ;D ;D

Where can I get one of those hats?
Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 07:22:13 pm »

Do you have a Bud Girl in "Daisy Dukes" to take care of the refill issue?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 07:22:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42