What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Aquatic Spa help  (Read 2463 times)

salesdvl

Need Aquatic Spa help
« on: October 29, 2004, 12:59:20 pm »
Hey everyone, my wife just called and a co-worker of hers has an "Aquatic" brand spa that is fairly old and they cannot get any local help as the dealer went out of business some yrs ago.  Anyway they have been trying to get a new jet pump ( 1 hp ) and finally got the factory to send them one.  Unfortunately they sent her a 2 hp.  

Finally my question.  a. Will the plumbing handle the additional pressure if they use this 2hp?     b. they dont want to deal with the factory anymore, does anyone have a suggestion I can give her as to where she can get a 1hp jet pump?   thanks.
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

Need Aquatic Spa help
« on: October 29, 2004, 12:59:20 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Need Aquatic Spa help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 01:12:40 pm »
Hey everyone, my wife just called and a co-worker of hers has an "Aquatic" brand spa that is fairly old and they cannot get any local help as the dealer went out of business some yrs ago.  Anyway they have been trying to get a new jet pump ( 1 hp ) and finally got the factory to send them one.  Unfortunately they sent her a 2 hp.  

Finally my question.  a. Will the plumbing handle the additional pressure if they use this 2hp?     b. they don’t want to deal with the factory anymore, does anyone have a suggestion I can give her as to where she can get a 1hp jet pump?   thanks.

Aquatic was a shell manufacture that I believe was out of Texas. Most people who sold those were a garage type builder. There is know telling what the plumbing is like but I can't imagine it wouldn't be able to support the extra flow (remember you'll be dealing with more flow than pressure) and would just put the 2 HP in, although you might need to change the pump unions.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 02:01:40 pm »
Why not switch the impellers? You'd than have a 2 hp pump with a one hp impeller. The flow and pressure would be the same as before, just more electrical usage.

I tend to dissagree on the pressure thing though, I believe it's quite possible that the pressure in the plumbing could increase significantly. Only so much water can physically flow through the small orifaces of a jet, and if you increase the flow beyond this, additional back pressure could quite possibly be the result......... Depending on the pump.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 02:53:09 pm »
OK, I'll agree with your points but again the reality is that it would have to be a pretty poorly plumbed spa or have very few jets to not be able to handle the difference. Now you are very right about the potential for backpressure, especially depending on what the filter is. I would still give it a shot and try it....

salesdvl

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 03:10:40 pm »
OK, I called my wife back at work and told her that based on all the information I had gotten from the experts on the forum they all suggest that her friend needs to buy a new spa from me.   :)  

Seriously tho, thanks for the info.
Measure once, cut twice.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 03:40:13 pm »
How about going this route........ Yes, we can supply the exact pump you need. However, it will come with a few extras. There's some plumbing already attached to it, as well as a filter........ And a heater. This pump is also already enclosed in a beautiful cabinet. And best of all, this brand new pump also comes with an insulated accrylic shell. Hech, it even includes a spa cover......... Pretty good freebies with this brand spankin new $7000 pump eh?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 03:57:12 pm »
I like your way of thinkin, Doc.
Measure once, cut twice.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 03:57:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42