What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa blanket comment  (Read 5069 times)

steve771

Spa blanket comment
« on: October 27, 2004, 01:06:17 pm »
I just got a spa blanket, cut it to size so as to float on the water.  While any thermal properties will be nice, the main reason I did it was to protect the spa cover.  I had noticed how much condensation was on the cover when I opened it, and figured it wouldn't take all that long for it to start absorbing moisture (and thus, picking up weight, and it is heavy enough already).  Why don't they make covers with some sort of material that wouldn't absorb water?  Ah, that's off topic, back to the cover.  Once the cover was on, I cycled the filter.  My spa runs the main jets for 2 minutes before cycling down to the lower, single jet.  During this time, part of the cover "folds in" upon itself due to the jet pressure.  So I will lose some of the protection I was looking for.  Next time, I think I will seriously consider attaching the blanket to the underside of the cover somehow.  Just wanted to pass this on for info.  (I suppose it is yet another question to ask when spa shopping!  ::) )

Hot Tub Forum

Spa blanket comment
« on: October 27, 2004, 01:06:17 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Spa blanket comment
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 02:03:32 pm »
ZZtop covered, excuse the pun, this issue in a thread two or three weeks ago. Search it out.

As far a cover that would last forever.....Well there is built is absolesence (I know that is spelled wrong) in all tubs, cars, appliances. This is down for one of two reasons:
1. You couldn't afford if it was built to last forever.
2. Parts sales

I am sure Watkins/SD/D-1 etc. could manufacture a tub with 0.000% parts failure. The cost of R&D, cost of the materials would likely result in a spa that would retail for $30K.
Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 08:01:34 pm »
I look at my cover like I do the tires on my car, I know I will have to replace them when they're worn out but I can extend the life by rotating them and keeping good air pressure. Likewise, I can extend the life of my cover by cleaning it, treating it with 303 and flipping the foam every so often.

I'm sure auto manufactures could make a tire that didn't wear as much but you would sacrifice ride, gas mileage (because of weight) and cost. Same thing on a cover, they could make one more durable but it would be heavier, cost more and probably not be as energy efficient.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:17:43 pm »
I'll add that using a floating feeder, or other system of feeding in Bromine tabs will cause the vapor barrier inside your cover to fail, and THAT is what makes a cover get heavy.

There are covers made - by Robert's Hot Tubs for example - which use a much heavier barrier. You can even pay a little more and they will Double wrap the foam boards for you. This tends to make the tops look wrinkled, but they do not absorb water!!
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 02:14:50 pm »
HOW TO ATTACH A SPA BLANKET TO YOUR HOT TUB COVER.  

(Everything I know on how to protect and give added years of life to your expensive Spa Cover.)

I used strips of Velcro about 3/4 inch wide by3 inches long.  I spaced four of them out on the outside edge of the cover.  You may wish to use more depending on the length of the cover.  

The adhesive on the velcro does not stick to the vinyl cover very well so I used Clear Silicone.  Apply the hook side of the velcro on the cover, the rug side on the Spa blanket.
Remove the Spa Cover and lay the spa blanket over the tub.  I cut the blanket to the OUTSIDE dimensions of the tub. Then install the Spa Cover and Silicone the velcro strips onto the blanket and Cover while they are in place.

Let the silicone set and you are ready to go.

I have a cover lifter and when I flip the first half of the cover over, the Spa blanket goes with the cover.

BTW, I left the other end of the spa blanket loose, but you could do the same thing on the other end too,  but make sure you have left enough length so there is an allowance for the folding cover.   Whether you attach the other end or not  when cutting the Spa blanket be sure you leave extra length for allowance of the fold of the cover when it opens.   Approx 8 - 12 inches, depending on the thickness of the Spa Cover.

By using Velcro when it is time to replace the Spa Blanket, just apply velcro on the new replacement and away you go.

To seal and protect the top and underside of the vinyl and stiching of your Spa Cover it is a good idea to spray it with 303 Aerospace protectant (www.303.products.com).  Beyond being a sunscreen, it also helps prevent mildew growth.  Do Not use ArmorAll or Black Magic!

A Spa Blanket is Cheap Insurance, and it will save you money on keeping the heat in the tub, helps prevent the cover from absorbing water and getting heavy to lift, and keeps the Chlorine and chemical gases from attacking the underside of your Spa Cover.

I have found that if you do not attach the Spa Blanket to the Spa Cover it can be a real pain in the ass to handle and store.

I also use Steve Russell's Cover Saver  ( Email:  srsb@shaw.ca)
which takes the stress off the stitched Spa Cover Hinge when using a Cover Lifter.  It could also add years of service to the Cover.

A word about Cover Lifters.  A Good Idea!
If you do not use a cover lifter, over time your Spa Cover will get damaged in handling it on and off the spa and will suffer abrasions and cuts which will allow water to enter and water log the insulation.
A cover lifter affords an easy way to effortlessly move the cover on and off the spa and keeps it in good shape.

If your Spa is not in a Gazebo it is also a good idea to put a plastic tarp over the Top of the Spa Cover in Winter to protect it from rain, ice and snow.  Just pull it off along with the accumulated snow before opening.  It is just that easy!

Hope this helps,

Happy Hot Tubbing . . . .  

Ps  before I decided to attached the Spa blanket to the Cover, I used two plastic potato chip bag clips( looks like a bulldog clip) which I attached to one wall of my gazebo to hang the blanket when I used the hot tub.  It got the blanket out of the way but wasn't as convienent to handle.

Regards,    Zz
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 04:22:45 am by ZzTop »

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 03:17:06 pm »
ZZ,
Thanks for the information. The tarp on the tub makes a lot of sense for the winter! Better than trying to sweep or shovel the white stuff off.
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 03:42:00 pm »
I didn't originally think I had a thought for this thread but as it is progressing I now have one.  .....  I have never thought much of the floating foam thing other than when we first started carrying spas back in 1984 that is what came with them and customer's had to buy the hard cover.  but now I can see a nice reason to have one.  I have a very old hot spring sovereign with the now extinct "tip top" and the under side of my cover is bleached from the chlorine gas.    thanks for enlightening me.

BTW  the tip top is a one piece hard cover that you can walk on.  retailed for about $1000 at the time but is awesome.  I dont stress when my kids sit on it.  etc...
Measure once, cut twice.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 06:34:38 pm »
A little info on putting a tarp over the cover. BE VERY CAREFUL that it's NOT clear plastic or left on during warm sunny days. The "greenhoue effect" and excessive heat that can accumulate between the tarp and the cover can be hot enough to actually melt the foam cores of the cover.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 07:04:16 pm »
A little info on putting a tarp over the cover. BE VERY CAREFUL that it's NOT clear plastic or left on during warm sunny days. The "greenhoue effect" and excessive heat that can accumulate between the tarp and the cover can be hot enough to actually melt the foam cores of the cover.

Doc,
How good to see you post your wisdom! I see you "lurking" in the shadows now and then knowing that your'e dying to educate us with your years of knowledge but I assume you don't have the time to "thouroghly" correct some of our guess's so you wait....

hopefully when things slow down a bit we'll see more of you! I learn a great deal when you step in however I did miss the signature ummmmmm that precededs many of your posts ;D!

See you in Vegas buddy!

Top_Cat

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 10:22:14 pm »
Sounds like Steve771 has a bubble plastic floating cover.

The more expensive somewhat rigid types do a better job of keeping in the water's heat and will not bunch up or even move when the filtration pump is on.

I have used a higher quality floating blanket for several years and my cover inside is still in showroom condition.

And my incremental electric bill is around $15 per month at $.13 average per kwh.

Well, I do have a TP spa but that's a topic of irrelevance in these parts.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 11:39:56 pm »
Sounds like Steve771 has a bubble plastic floating cover.

The more expensive somewhat rigid types do a better job of keeping in the water's heat and will not bunch up or even move when the filtration pump is on.

I have used a higher quality floating blanket for several years and my cover inside is still in showroom condition.

What!? You mean more expensive is better? This doesn't coincide with your other posts?

Weren’t you the guy that said;
Buying a spa because it is the highest priced does not make any sense economically any more than buying a high-priced car for transportation makes sense.

Certainly buying a better made, more heat efficient, longer lasting cover can’t make sense economically either can it!? How can you say more expensive and better job in the same sentence? Perish the thought! :o :o

steve771

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 01:04:11 am »
Yup, it is the bubble type.  I wanted to test it out to see.  I really don't care for it floating.  It isn't so much of a pain, as I don't think filtration is occuring at the rate it was prior the blanket.  

Top_Cat

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 09:58:00 am »
Stuart:

Unfortunately, Americans have been conditioned to think that a higher price means better quality and therefore better performance. But more expensive does not necessarily equate to better engineering, or lower maintenance costs.

Compare Lexus to Mercedes and Jaguar. Which costs the most? Which provides the best performance? Which is the least expensive to maintain? Which is the best "bang for the buck"? Which is really the best value?

Value IMO is product performance through time vs. the product's initial price. I submit that the more expensive spas may not be the best values out there.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 09:58:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42