What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Settings for dishwasher with HS filters  (Read 5113 times)

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
Settings for dishwasher with HS filters
« on: October 27, 2004, 03:12:08 pm »
Hello, I really don't want to continue the debate on the 'best' filter so please try to keep the answers 'on subject'.

I own the HS Landmark and love it.  I recently switched to the TRI-X filters.  I have been rinsing them the standard way with my hose.  If I were to put them in the dishwasher would I need to use a 'NO Heat Dry' type of setting?  I know it gets awfully hot in my dishwasher when it is drying and I don't want to melt anything.  Also, do you put dish washer detergent in the dishwasher when running your filters through or basically use no soap so it is just rinsing them?  

Thanks for your help.

Hot Tub Forum

Settings for dishwasher with HS filters
« on: October 27, 2004, 03:12:08 pm »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
Re: Settings for dishwasher with HS filters
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 03:32:38 pm »
Perk1,

I am thinking of upgrading to the Tri-X in the next 6-12 months.  Did you buy them from a dealer?  What did your dealer say?  Did you buy them from some other source? Did they come with any kind of instruction manual?

It sounds odd that the marketing literature mentions the dishwasher option but the dealer and the manual page (if it comes with one) would give no guidance on its use.

My dishwasher has a sanitize setting, which I wuld be tempted to use to make sure that any junk is really rinsed off good.  The Tri-x sound great because they are deep, but I imagine they are harder to clean, too, because they are deep.

-Ed

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 03:39:35 pm »
They did not come with any literature when I purchased them.  I did purchase them from my dealer but I did not think to ask him the question at the time of purchase.  I will definitely get his input the next time I am in his shop.  

I don't think they are harder to clean than the pleated filters. They may actually be a little easier since they are 'rigid' and the water can really get deep inside each 'pleat'.  

I really like them and after doing the costing of purchasing regular filters over the next five to seven years compared to purchasing these once, I decided to go with the Tri-X.  

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 03:48:21 pm »
I decided(based on a private suggestion...thx) to call Watkins directly.  As always, it is a total pleasure speaking with the Watkins folks.  They are always very pleasant and very well informed.  Here is the skinny....

The new owner's manual does have the suggested cleaning routine for the Tri-x filters.  My spa is approx 2 years old so my owners manual does not contain this info.  The filters should be placed in the dishawasher with a 'No Heat' setting and do not use any detergent.  

salesdvl

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 04:02:39 pm »
good to know.  thanks.
Measure once, cut twice.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 06:37:03 pm »
I worked for watkins for 7 years and still enjoy a positive relationship with them.  I wouldn't put filters in my dishwasher for this reason.  The stuff that filters catch.  YUK :-X :-X :-X :-X

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 07:25:18 pm »
NO NO NO!!

Here's the skinny:

The filters should be placed in the dishawasher with a 'No Heat' setting and do not use any detergent.

Oh wait. That's what you said they said. Hmm.

Um.....

OK.

Uh,

You're right.

:-[
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

salesdvl

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 07:29:19 pm »
Chas, I laughed out loud. ( fealt it needed to be spelled out... sometimes LOL just doesn't cut it. )
Measure once, cut twice.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 07:36:10 pm »
I guess I'm alittle dyslexic......I read this wrong and now  I'm having a problem getting the last of the silverware and plates out of my spa.... guess I'll have to drain it! :D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 07:44:25 pm »
I guess I'm alittle dyslexic......I read this wrong and now  I'm having a problem getting the last of the silverware and plates out of my spa.... guess I'll have to drain it! :D

Oh GROSS ! I can't even imagine a spa with FOOD GUNK and GREASE in it!! Not my spa baby.
;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

salesdvl

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 07:59:31 pm »
We had a store party one time and a few days later one of the spas wasn't circulating so I had a tech look at it and he dug out a big handful of what used to be cheese popcorn.
So as any good mgr would do I took the appropriate action.

OK, new rule.... no cheese popcorn in the spas.   ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 08:47:17 pm »
Oh GROSS ! I can't even imagine a spa with FOOD GUNK and GREASE in it!! Not my spa baby.
 ;)

Yea but my dishes sparkle! No spots...... ;D

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 11:12:16 pm »
Stuart,
You must be using the no rinse non-cycle.

I looked a my dish washer and still can't find te filter cleaning selection.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 11:42:38 pm »
Stuart,
You must be using the no rinse non-cycle.

I looked a my dish washer and still can't find te filter cleaning selection.

No but the "smart clean" cycle works like a rinse cycle! ;)

Seriously though, don't you think an ozone system working in conjunction with the dry cycle would be a great idea?

BTW, to try and get back on subject, is the point of the dishwasher for the "hot water" or the convenience? I posted this before but how I clean my regular filters is I drove a piece of pipe into the ground and set the filter on top of it then spray it with a high pressure nozzle. This gets most things out of it. If the filter is open on top, take a lid from a paint can or 5 gallon bucket and put a hole in it then slide it over the pipe before the filter.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 11:51:06 pm by stuart »

Top_Cat

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 01:20:10 am »
My dishwasher has a tiny 24/7 circulation pump. My filters are always clean.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 01:20:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42