What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine replacement in the Frog cartridge  (Read 4054 times)

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
Bromine replacement in the Frog cartridge
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:46:28 pm »
I am about to embark upon some "experimentation" with my in-line frog system.

I hate having to throw away the empty frog bromine cartridge every few weeks when the bromine is spent so I've decided to reuse the plastic cartridges and fill them with fresh bromine.

My question is... does anyone have any specific bromine product recommendations that would work best in the frog cartridge?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 12:48:02 pm by empolgation »
e

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine replacement in the Frog cartridge
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:46:28 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Bromine replacement in the Frog cartridge
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 01:20:46 pm »
I would recommend you contact King Technologies...and see what they suggest since they make the frog....

empolgation

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 03:41:37 pm »
Thanks Mendo, I did submit the question to King as well and have not heard back from them yet; though I don't expect they will give me an answer since they sell cartridges and refilling them would ultimately result in less cartridge sales for them??

Maybe a better question for y'all would be, do I put granular bromine or tablets or broken tablets or ? in the cartridge? Visual inspection of the cartridge contents revealed what appeared to be "large granuals".
e

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 10:10:27 am »
You may want to experiment to see if the Brilliance granular bromine will work.  I have no experience with it but it sounds like a nice bromine product by the people who make Baqua Spa.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 11:35:52 am »
Well there are several issues with this;

1. You would blow though granular to fast

2. Putting tablets in would change the dynamics, I'm certainly not a chemical expert but from talking to the guys at king they say that their bromine is "activated" and does not need to be activated through the use of shock like the tablet form does. Shock in there system is to do a burn off.

3. I believe there is some legality to it, as it is a trademarked item. I don't know if this effects a private individual however I would not post it open on the forum.

4. Do you really save that much after you buy the bromine, pry the bottle open, measure things out and get it all back together? I have to admit that I pulled one of those bottles apart to see for myself what was there and it wasn't that easy!

Your ingenuity is admirable but for the cost of the frog bromine already in the bottle I will just buy that and slip it in place, it’s convenient. I kind think that’s the whole point of it!
together? ;) 8)

empolgation

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 03:22:54 pm »
Thanks much for the input!

My motivation for this is two-fold, certainly cost is a consideration since I am spending ~$10 a month for the bromine cartridge alone but a greater motivation is that I am throwing away a "highly corrosive"..."hazardous to humans and domestic animals"..."toxic to fish and aquatic organisims" plastic cartridge every few weeks - that bothers most. I have issue with the "disposable" mentality.

Now if King wanted to consider "doing it right" they would reuse/recycle the cartridge themselves... they could include a deposit on the cartridge and require dealers to provide collection of it...

I've never used a bromine system before having the inline Frog and I love how it works. Tossing the cartridge is the only negative for me but it's a big one, enough to consider abandoning the King products.
e

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 08:14:13 pm »
Thanks much for the input!

My motivation for this is two-fold, certainly cost is a consideration since I am spending ~$10 a month for the bromine cartridge alone but a greater motivation is that I am throwing away a "highly corrosive"..."hazardous to humans and domestic animals"..."toxic to fish and aquatic organisims" plastic cartridge every few weeks - that bothers most. I have issue with the "disposable" mentality.

Now if King wanted to consider "doing it right" they would reuse/recycle the cartridge themselves... they could include a deposit on the cartridge and require dealers to provide collection of it...

I've never used a bromine system before having the inline Frog and I love how it works. Tossing the cartridge is the only negative for me but it's a big one, enough to consider abandoning the King products.

You know what, that's a great idea! I will forward this to King as they call me weekly for input!

Don't worry I'll tell the first person I talk to it was your idea and then take credit from there on! ;) ;D

empolgation

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 08:56:01 pm »
If they don't like that one they could make the cartridge more "refill friendly" and sell the bromine to refill with...
e

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 07:56:48 am »
.....but they probably make a tidy sum selling the whole throw away unit.  
This is a lot like ink jet printer cartridges.  
I used to pay about $65 to replace the black and color cartridges in my printer.  About a year ago, I bought an ink refill kit at Sam's Club for $17.00.  So far I've refilled the black and color cartridges twice each, and I have enough ink left to refill each cartridge 2 or 3 more times, assuming the cartridges continue to function.  
Assuming I can max this out, I'll have spent $17 in refill ink and saved the cost of 8 cartridges.
Despite the dire warning from HP that refilling would send my printer straight to thingy, the print quality is just as good as it's always been.

Brewman
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 07:57:33 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 07:56:48 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42