What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter run time?  (Read 3134 times)

steve771

Filter run time?
« on: October 25, 2004, 11:38:41 pm »
My spa came with a default setting of 2 times per day at 60 minutes per time.  I've seen that some say that filter times should be longer, but the water seems crystal clear w/ no scum line after about 10 days of daily use (about 30 min per day).  I've also cleaned the filters every other day (that is recommended for 2 weeks, then once a week).  Anyone see any future problems with this regiment?

Hot Tub Forum

Filter run time?
« on: October 25, 2004, 11:38:41 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Filter run time?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 11:42:32 pm »
What kind of spa?

steve771

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 09:53:41 am »
It's an LA Spa.  The filter system is different from the normal pleated in that it uses a cloth type of insert.  Seems to catch most everything and is really easy to clean.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 11:14:04 am »
Steve771

Sounds like you have a circ pump? I dont know LA spas one bit. I do know that two one hour cycles with a massage pump would be inadequate for filtration alone. It might also be dangerous if you have a cold winter where you live. Now if there is a circ pump, disregard that last observation.

You can never rinse your filters too much (I don't think). Depending on the filter size/ tub displacement filter maintenace may be required anywhere from once a week to once every 2 months.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 11:21:35 am »
As a new tub owner, your skin is giving off oil and dirt from every pore: you can't get that kind of cleaning if you shower twice a day. But that tends to taper off after a couple of weeks. So if your tub is staying clear now, you should have no trouble down the road, unless you invite my brother-in-law over...

I tell our customers to change the water at the end of the first month. Seems to really help, and gives you a chance to thoroughly degrease everything. Water clairty and chem levels are even easier to keep from that point on.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

steve771

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:57:11 pm »
Ok, well as far as a circ pump, when the temp drops, the "level 1" of jet 1 turns on to circulate the water to the heater.  Otherwise, no.  When the filter cycle starts, It runs both pumps full for a couple minutes, then drops down to the level 1 setting for the set time (in this case 60 minutes).  I can up the cycles to a maximum of 4 per day and the time per cycle can be anywhere from 30 to 240 minutes.  I know that each person/spa is different to a degree, but is there a general rule of thumb on how long to filter?  Like I said, at this point, the water is very clear, no scum line at all.  Would I notice such things after 10 days of use, or does it normally take longer to show up?  (oh, and Chas, thanks, but I think I'll pass on your brother-in-law!  ;D )

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 01:14:30 pm »
The water should tell you everything you need to know........and it sounds as if it is very pleased at the moment!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 01:19:58 pm »
It all depends on who is going in. I always ask this of the spa owner who do not have a circ pump and if they've got a gaggle of kids and friends and use is going to be high then I have them run two 4-hr cycles. If its just a couple who seem to be the type that showers daily then I might go as low as two 2-hr cycles. Everyone else I typically have run two 3-hr cycles. IMO two 1-hr cycles per day for filtering is probably too little BUT there is no hard and fast rule so you can keep it that way and monitor it closely but I'd bump it to up if it were my spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

steve771

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 04:36:23 pm »
Thanks guys.  I think I will bump up the filter time a bit.  Better to err a bit on the side of caution.   :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 04:36:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42