What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lock your ph?  (Read 5922 times)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Lock your ph?
« on: October 24, 2004, 02:06:44 pm »
Has anyone used any of the following products to 'lock' your ph?

SpaClear ph Proper
Spa Essentials pH Anchor
Leisure Time pH Balance Plus
Rendezvous pH Magic

I was wondering how effective they are over the course of 3/4 months.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Lock your ph?
« on: October 24, 2004, 02:06:44 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Lock your ph?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 02:16:13 pm »
SpaGuard also has SpaSentry
I have not used it or had an customers use it. Talking to dealers who have used it, it works great, but your water has to be perfect to start with before adding it. I have heard some horror stories about it too. Surely someone on the board has experience using it, I am eager to hear about their experiences too.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 02:39:30 pm »
I stopped selling these products a long time ago. I had several customers who did not read all the directions, and they caked their heating elements in a lump of calcium, That - of course- fried the poor things.

Then they asked me to pay for them.....

If you use one of these products, be sure to read and comply with ALL the instructions. My customers failed to test and adjust the hardness of the water in their tubs, others failed to get the pH and TA right where they were supposed to be - and then they very effectively locked them in the wrong range.

Personally, I have run my spas long enough to know that I have to toss in an ounce or two of spa down every few weeks. I know it , I do it, and it works.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 09:21:22 am »
In addition to Chas' (aka, Mr. Sapola  ;D) sage advice:  It's just another chem you have to buy and store......KISS......
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

salesdvl

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 09:37:13 am »
I am not a chemist so I may need help here too.   I have carried "Spa Perfect" type stuff in the past and stopped a while back.  I do not understand how you can put something in water and it will magically keep your PH balanced.   It seems like it would give the spa owner a false sense of scurity that they do not have to test.  I think the KISS logic makes the most sense for a consumer.  Test the water, make minor adjustments to PH  if need be and sanitize.  simple.   ( once again I am typing slower than Windsurf  :-)  )
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 09:38:26 am by salesdvl »
Measure once, cut twice.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 10:13:23 am »
( once again I am typing slower than Windsurf  :-)  )

Dude!  This is WAY too coincidental.......did you by chance stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?  ;D ;D
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 11:03:47 am »
To add to everyone else's comments, the amount of this stuff you need to add is pretty high. I think it was like 2 or 3 pounds of this stuff in my 425 gallon tub. I figured that has to mess with TSD levels and make me change the water more often.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

salesdvl

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 09:56:32 pm »
It just so happens that I am a card carrying member of the Holiday Inn Priority Club, Thank you very much.    :-/
Measure once, cut twice.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 10:12:02 pm »
Maybe, I'm missing something!

In pool chemistry (don't have a tub yet) if your Alkalinity is OK, your PH resists change. The amount of "stuff" you put into a tub is propotionately less than a pool, so if the PH is OK and the Alkalinity is in the proper range - the PH is kind of "locked in" and won't bounce all over the place. We will assume that the Calcium is correct also to give us balanced water.

Is there something different to tubs?

salesdvl

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 10:53:15 pm »
Vin,  I agree.  I think it's an unneccessary thing.  Kind of like "Sweetest Day".  Hallmark thought..." Lets create a holiday and make people buy cards......  Lets create a need for PH balance....
Measure once, cut twice.

poolboy34

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 11:18:38 pm »
These types of products are primarily for customers whose source water has a very high pH.  In general I wish spa owners would stick to the KISS philosophy!!!  the less stuff you have/need to add to the water the better.  Plus by adding less you won't have to drain and refill as often.  And BTW "spa Perfect" is an enzyme product made by natural chemistry that helps to break down oils, dirt, etc that get into a spa.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 11:28:03 am »
Maybe, I'm missing something!

In pool chemistry (don't have a tub yet) if your Alkalinity is OK, your PH resists change. The amount of "stuff" you put into a tub is propotionately less than a pool, so if the PH is OK and the Alkalinity is in the proper range - the PH is kind of "locked in" and won't bounce all over the place. We will assume that the Calcium is correct also to give us balanced water.

Is there something different to tubs?

Three things different in tubs:
Temperature- This allows for more "growth" there fore more need for sanitizer. The resulting byproducts affect water balance
People/Gallon- In order to get the same ratio in my 16*32 pool as my tub (400 gallons/4 people), I would need to jam in 213.33 people. Thats a lot of swimmers.
Nature- Nature impacts your tub water less than your pool. Rain, animal waste, airborn contaminents, firtilizers etc. Rain water can have a large impact on TA and pH. With all the rain here this summer I sold alot more TA+ and a lot less Chlorine in my store.

Homeworks Financing Representative

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 11:54:43 am »
It just so happens that I am a card carrying member of the Holiday Inn Priority Club, Thank you very much.    :-/

I am a founding member, they use to make us use our SSN numbers as our member number.  Do they will do that?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TCMarvin

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 12:22:15 pm »
I use Eco One and do not have to adjust my PH at all. It is always in range. I use to check my PH all the time, but now do it once or twice per month and never have to adjust.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 12:42:36 pm »
Dude!  This is WAY too coincidental.......did you by chance stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?  ;D ;D

funny stuff! LOL

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 12:42:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42