What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question to Hot Tub Dealers  (Read 9080 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Question to Hot Tub Dealers
« on: October 13, 2004, 07:49:38 am »
Besides a longer warranty, what does a person give up going to a secondary line such as Tiger River, Down East, Sweetwater, ...?

Although I do want a tub, I can't afford to go into the premium series tubs. Prices for the secondary tub lines run here in NJ approx $6500 (give or take $200) and premium runs about $1200 more.

Originally I was looking at the Emerald Spas Cygnus 7009 and the 2004 price was around $7000 (upper limit for me) and I thought it was a great buy - premium tub (IMO), good price, lots of features (warranty a little weak) but for 2005 they added too many jets and now it lacks power (again IMO).

I'm looking at the Island Series by Artesian and the dealer insists there's very little difference between it and the Gold series but I want to hear your opinions on secondary lines.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Hot Tub Forum

Question to Hot Tub Dealers
« on: October 13, 2004, 07:49:38 am »

spaguyohio

Re: Question to Hot Tub Dealers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 09:04:05 am »
Not a dealer, but on Downeast the main differences are pump HP, cabinet design, and less filtration system then Master's Legend Series.  DE uses one round and one Eco Pur filter, where Master uses 2 each of those, and also a flat filter as well. The Legend Series come standard with circ pump and ozonator, and on DE its an option.

I have DE, and couldn't be happier with it!

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 10:26:00 am »
Looked at Windsor SE last week and with only addition of LED light it was $6850 plus tax which put it over $7200 here. Saw others did better but could not get dealer to change.

spaguyohio

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 10:59:43 am »
6850 with the waterline LED isnt bad, from what various dealers have told me, its about a 750.00 option. Frankly, I prefer the colorscape light than the LED around the tub.

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 11:02:42 am »
I just purchased, and received a Jacuzzi J-345.  I also looked at Sweetwater.  Jacuzzi owns Sweetwater, and Sundance.  Definitely take a look at the J-345.  It's more of premium spa, but at a very reasonable price.  I think you'll find that there's very little difference between a Jacuzzi and some of the other premium brands, except price.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 11:03:12 am »
The major differences between Tiger River and HotSpring spas are:

Different exterior siding: the TR offers only one exterior color option, HS three.

Also, 3 years vs. 5 years warranty coverage on the exterior siding. All other warranty items are the same.

Bypass filtration vs. No-bypass filtration.

Titanium heater vs. Stainless Steel, though both heaters have the same warranty: 5 year no-fault.

More color choices: 3 from TR, 5 HS.

Jet types: HS has the Moto Massage jet and the Soothing Seven jet. TR has the remaining jets that a HS EE tub has, but not the new mid-sized jets of a HS HP model.

HS has the main conrol panel on the side of the tub (you can see it without lifting the lid, and if the setting of the tub allows, you can see the "power" and the "ready" light from the house) but they also have an Aux panel in the tub. The TR only has the one panel, which is at the top of the front of the spa.

Pumps and systems are the same.

Insulation is the same.

Cover is the same.

Cover lift options are the same.

Ozone system is the same.

Remote can be used on both.

No sound systems available for TR.

Two of the TR models have domes on the floor with foot jets.

The TR Siberian has two seats with massive jet action: one has 18 small jets and one mega-jet, and on the other corner of the tub is a seat with six interchangeable jets.

The top two spas of both lines have two jet pumps and a circ pump. (they all have the circ pump).

For more info go to:

HotSpring Spas
Tiger River Spas

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 12:33:09 pm »
Another thing to consider is that some dealers will upgrade some components on their lower lines.  For example, our Sundance dealer was willing to upgrade the filtration system on the Sweetwater and also upgrade the warranty to match the Sundance.  Not a bad option if it will save you a bunch of cash.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 12:49:03 pm »
The DE LED package was just the 22 element single light instead of the single incandescent lamp. Not the fiber optic $700 package. The wanted $300 for it but agreed to add it for $100 which is more like it.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 09:15:39 pm »
Thanks for the info!

I did see the Tiger River, Sweetwater, Down East and now Island and they do offer a lot for your money.

The Sweetwater dealer also sold Marquis and didn't have any of the Marquis around - He also was a little crude so I decided  not to consider him. The Tiger River dealer gave me a price on a Hot Springs and then I saw it advertised a couple of weeks later for less - I know that this may be common practice but I feel a price is a price. I do realize that sometimes dealers get incentives and I can understand that,  but these two guys are ALWAYS running sales.

Chas - Are HS dealers allowed to cross other dealers territories? Maybe I'll take a look at another dealer.

The Down East and Island tubs seem similar in value and are around the same price - D E Windsor SE $6500 and Island Grand Cayman 56 jet $6600.

I was more concerned that the secondary lines used lesser quality parts then their premium counterparts and so wont last as long or require more repairs.

Thanks Again!

Vinny

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 10:42:33 pm »
Warranty has a cost.  And believe me it will generaly be in the  manufacturers favor.  After all they are out to make money.  Otherwise the spa industry would be filled with non-profit org's.  But is it worth the peice of mind?  To some yes... others no.  Six to one, half dozen the other.  There is nothing wrong with the middle of the road spas.  Last year my company of three stores sold 800 Spas/gazebos/Sofpools and 200 of those were a particular 7x7 middle of the road.
¿

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 11:32:26 pm »
I agree with the fact that there is a cost in warranty service and the manufacturer will come out ahead. I also know that their are good parts and cheap parts and some manufacturers (maybe not in this industry) will give you a cheaper widgit because they use inferior parts.

I think that maybe I relate secondary to second rate which isn't nessisarily the case. To be honest with you with ALL the bashing that is done on this board on every brand, I started to think that if a spa is garbage for whatever reasons then their secondary line is worse than garbage. Actually I started to think that since I can't afford a premium tub maybe I shouldn't get one at all - but then I came to my senses.

Now as for those non profit dealers, if you care to send me an email, please let me know. ;D

Thanks,

Vinny

Jordy

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 06:22:51 am »
Hello Vinny,
The difference in a premium line and a lower level line of spas built by the same manufacturer is usually reflected in every aspect of the spa's contruction, design and warranty. I used to be a salesperson for a dealer that sold the (at that time) Watkins lines of hot tubs, specifically HotSpring (top of their line), Tiger River (one step below), and Solana (low end). As you go down through the lines this is a partial list of what changes:
1. Fewer jets
2. Less sophisticated shell design.
3. Less effective filtration.
4. Less functions on electronic control panel.
5. Smaller motors.
6. Less insulation, higher operating costs.
7. Shorter warranty period, less items covered.
8. LOWER PRICE.

Hope this helps!!! Wet test any tub you are considering, no matter what the price is. You are a potential client after all.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 07:20:41 am »
I bought from an "out of area" HS dealer.  Dealer in NY (30 minutes) was $700 less than my local (5 minutes) dealer in NJ.  Local dealer said his price was firm.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 07:42:14 am »
Warranty has a cost.  And believe me it will generaly be in the  manufacturers favor.  After all they are out to make money.  Otherwise the spa industry would be filled with non-profit org's.  But is it worth the peice of mind?  To some yes... others no.  Six to one, half dozen the other.  There is nothing wrong with the middle of the road spas.  Last year my company of three stores sold 800 Spas/gazebos/Sofpools and 200 of those were a particular 7x7 middle of the road.

You raise an excellent point with your warranty comments.  The warranty cost on our spas were included in the price we paid.  
I wonder how many of us would take the warranty if the spa's base price was reduced accordingly, and the warranty offered as an extra cost option?  
Thinking back, very few items I've purchased over the years have ever needed warranty service.  
The risk is that  you have to pay for repairs out of your own pocket, which would be offset by a lower initial cost on the spa.  
Brewman
Brewman

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 09:52:32 am »
Perhaps some manufacturers or more experienced dealers can comment on this. I do beleive that ISO 9001 and other such designations would require that the manufacturer warrant their product to get such a seal of approval???
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 09:52:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42