What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone ever dealt with Thermospas?  (Read 10548 times)

Andy-VA

Anyone ever dealt with Thermospas?
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:06:01 pm »
  I got a call from a sales rep from Thermospas, he said I requested a brochure (I dont remember that I did that) and asked me if I wanted a free in home (sales pitch). I agreed for next monday. Not because Im set on their brand, but Im still looking and havent decided.

One of the questions I asked was about wet testing which by the way I wouldnt have known about if it wasnt for this forum. He said it wasnt possible because they are built in Conn. and made to order. I looked at their website ( www.thermospas.com ) and it seems like a well made hot tub. The insulation is different from others ive seen. Can someone take a look at the website and give me their insight.

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone ever dealt with Thermospas?
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:06:01 pm »

Zoo

Re: Anyone ever dealt with Thermospas?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 09:15:19 pm »
Hi Andy-Va,

I've only heard of Thermospa through forums like this one. However, if you take the time to look through previous posts on the subject I think you will find it enlightening. I am sure that based on what I have read that you could find a superior product through a local dealer with wet-testing etc. Perhaps some of the senior members of this forum such as Steve, Hottubman, Chaos etc could fill you in with more detail.
  Please do not rush into this. You will have this product for many, many years (especially if you buy a good product from a company like, D1, Hot Springs, Caldera, Tiger River, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Beachcomber, Marquis etc). Take the time to visit many dealers and RESEARCH.

Good luck!

Zoo

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 09:27:03 pm »
What I have heard is that they use very high-pressure sales tactics, so you might want to lock up your check book or leave it with a relative.

If you want to see the true colors of the person who comes to your house, tell them you need to think about it and that you will get back to them in two weeks. If they don't throw a fit, or tell you that the 'special' ends tonight, I'll eat my words.

As to the tub - I find they are a good spa, but not a great spa. Unfortunately, they charge as if they were an ultra-great spa.

Keep this in mind: telling you that they have the best of everything, and that they invented or were the first to do this or that doesn't make it true.  ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Andy-VA

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 09:35:06 pm »
eeeeeeeeeeeek....I just did a search of this forum for Thermospas. No way I can buy from them with that many negative comments. I guess Ill just have fun with the sales rep.
 When he shows up, Ill open the door only in my underwear and in my most southern voice ill say..."you look purty, come on in".

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 09:41:45 pm »
The ThermoSpa video and ads do make it look appealing. Chas is right on the sales technique, VERY high pressure. They do that because only VERY few people actually buy after the visit. This is because most people only find these forums after they have been looking a while. There are horror stories associated with a number of Spa's. Ones with Thermo are out there on the web, just do a simple yahoo or google search on "thermospa" and see what people have to say about them. In my Opinion, they are WAY over priced. An interesting way to start your conversation with them might be to say that you have shopped around and learned that 80% of all spa's sold are between the prices of $6,000 and $8,000 so you expect to spend between that amount. This fact is true but they have only a few (smaller) spa's that will fit in that price range and in most cases they are pretty small.  If you did buy that night, you would not even realize HOW small until it got to your house months later. It's like paying Mercedes prices for a Ford. Both are good mfg's in their own way and each commands an appropriate price. The only problem is that Thermospa gives you the Ford and charges you the Mercedes price.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Zoo

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 09:42:29 pm »
Hi Andy-VA,

That will put a stop to his pressure tactics! Seriously though, I'm glad that this forum has given you the information you need.

Good luck!

Zoo

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 09:49:19 pm »
Andy...better think about your plan....I mean..just how "purty" are you....could be just what the sales rep is looking for..... ;)

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 10:33:28 pm »
Im not saying I agree with thier approach but please take it easy on the guy.  He is just doing his job.  It may seem like fun for you to waste his time, but for someone on commission driving to a leads house just to find the person is toying with them really stinks.  If you don't plan to do business with this person, please tell him.  Let him know why you changed your mind.  If enough people did this it might change the company strategy.  It is not that particular salesmans fault that the company is bad, he is just doing his job.  When we get a sales call at work (ie. telephone co) some of my coworkers used to see how long the shmuck would stay on hold (I think the record was 11 mins!).  That was fun and all untill you have to make a few lead calls, stay late to meet a client that never shows and wastes a perfectly good evening because the client wasn't a serious prospect anyway.  So now I tell the phone co. we are not interested in switching plans so please call the next on your list.
¿

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 11:55:49 pm »
HUh....

there is some truth to what you are saying...it really is not a nice thing to do....but...at the same time the sales rep knows what he is all about and he is not an innocent lamb in their sales process....it is a tough call because you really do burn his night....and yet at the same time....interigty is most likely not high on his list when it comes time to close the deal.....I worked for company 22 years ago that sold in much the same manner after 2 weeks I was done....because of how twisted the Truth became...I tried closing on my own merits  but when you are trying to be honest with the customer but the company for the most part frowns on it....it is a tough place to be in....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 03:04:02 am by Mendocino101 »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 08:13:46 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about wasting anyones time.  
I've lost count of how many times I've been phoned for a product or service and I've told the caller that I'm not interested.  They still want to send a rep. out to pitch me.  They don't seem to care that I'm not interested, they only want to get the opportunity to present, and possibly generate a sale.
So if I agree to this with or without their knowledge, their challenge is to turn me from a "no thanks" to a "where do I sign".
I worked in an industry that used home presentations to move their product (adjustable beds).  I set appointments for the sales team.  We had a script to use when calling, and a very comprehensive list of things to say to overcome objections.  We were not trained to take no for an answer.
I saw the sales scripts, and they were similar.  You have to have a thick skin to be a door to door sales person or telemarketer.

A common sales statistic in the insurance industry:
It takes 100 contacts to make ten appointments.  Of those 10 appointments, you may get 1 sale.

If you ever want to get an interesting take on this type of sales, rent the movie "Glengary, Glenross"  
Stars Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, and Jack Lemmon.

Brewman
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 08:18:21 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 11:47:29 am »
Or you could look at Willy Lohman in "Death of a Salesman"!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

poolboy34

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 12:28:46 pm »
That's an excelent movie lori!! :)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 12:34:12 pm »
Much of our experiences (us in the forum may be a little outdated. Since you have already looked at spas and know what they should costs, let us know how thiers compare.  Let us know if he tells you what is wrong with every brand you have looked at.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 12:46:16 pm »
These guys are trained to walk away with something, anything. I'd tell him not to come just to keep myself from being exposed to his ploys and conceding some purchase in weakness just to get rid of him.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 07:16:57 pm »
The comments from Chas are right on.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 07:16:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42