What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Intakes in the Optima footwell  (Read 13017 times)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
Intakes in the Optima footwell
« on: October 15, 2004, 09:03:22 am »
Noticed last night that one of the 3 intakes in our Optima footwell doesn't seem to be taking in any water.  (These are the intakes for pump 2)  On 2 of them you can feel the water being drawn in if you put your hand in front of it.  There's actual suction there.  On the one across from the light there doesn't seem to be anything.  I can't remember if it's always been like this or if something just happened.  Have any other Optima owners out there seen this?  Might place a call to the dealer today and see what they have to say.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Intakes in the Optima footwell
« on: October 15, 2004, 09:03:22 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Intakes in the Optima footwell
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 09:24:58 am »
All 3 of our suction inlets are functioning.  As far as I know, they've always worked.  
Calling your dealer is probably a good next step.
Is it possible that you had the diverter for that pump set all the way to the foot jets, or all the way to the throne?  I'm guessing that shouldn't make any diffence, though.

Brewman
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 09:27:05 am by Brewman »
Brewman

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 09:56:16 am »
Thought of the diverters and tried adjusting all one way or the other and it didn't seem to make a difference.  Also tried adding air to the stream for both the foot jets and the corner seat but that didn't do anything either.  Guess I'll make the call and see what they say.

Ken

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 09:57:21 am »
Same with me.  Water intake is of equal pressure from all three intakes.  Diverter valve location makes no difference.

cparlf

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 12:05:16 pm »
Sine we have a little Optima group here, do you all keep the socks on the footwell intakes?  The manual says to keep them on, my dealer says they do not matter and not to worry about them.  I could not keep them in place and they are sort of difficult to get back on.

Also, in the back right corner there is a slight low pitch whistling sound when the corner seat (next to the filter) is on full throttle.  Has anyone else heard this.  

Finally, what an awesome tub.  Simply amazing.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 12:43:37 pm »
Sine we have a little Optima group here, do you all keep the socks on the footwell intakes?  The manual says to keep them on, my dealer says they do not matter and not to worry about them.  I could not keep them in place and they are sort of difficult to get back on.

Also, in the back right corner there is a slight low pitch whistling sound when the corner seat (next to the filter) is on full throttle.  Has anyone else heard this.  

We have no problems keeping the socks on.  We did take them off when we refilled and used Swirl Away just so the wouldn't get dirty.  They were quite a pain to get back on so I'm glad they're not falling off.

When our delivery guys came out they suggested if the socks were falling off to take them off and take the screw out that holds the plastic grate in place and then put a small hole in the center of the sock and put the screw back in through the sock.  He said that would hold it in place.  Never had to do it so I don't know if that would work or not.

As for the high pitched noise, we did hear that once after I had taken the jets in that corner seat out and put them back in.  It only lasted a couple of days and I have not heard anything since.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 01:54:16 pm »
We try and keep the socks on, and they usually stay unless we have a capacity crowd in the spa.  
As for the whine, could it be just a noisy diverter?  
That's one of the small complaints I have with our spa, the diverters are a bit noisy when set to certain spots.
Dead center is usually pretty quiet, and so is all the way in either direction.  
I did the silicon caulk trick to the diverter knobs, and it did muffle the noise a bit.
I agree, the Optima is an awsome spa.
Brewman
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 03:33:57 pm »
I keep the filter socks on.  I get new ones yearly.  The socks I purchased this year are much better than the previous years...better elastic.  You can also use the sweetwater socks which are bigger if you really have a hard time getting them on.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 02:19:10 am »
I keep the filter socks on.  I get new ones yearly.  The socks I purchased this year are much better than the previous years...better elastic.  You can also use the sweetwater socks which are bigger if you really have a hard time getting them on.

I'm glad my spa doesn't need condoms!!

Why do Sundance, Jacuzzi and other spa brands even need them?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 10:13:01 am »
Do you need them?  I would say no.  Many dealers suggest leaving them off.  I doubt that many dealers use them in the spas they use for a wet test.  Does it make sense to use them.  I would say yes, especially for those who regularly get sand or dirt dragged into their spa.  I think it mainly keeps grit from getting sucked in from the spa floor.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 11:37:14 am »
The water going into the bottom suction inlets does not pass thru any filtration on the way to the pump.
I have no idea what else, if anything, behing the inlets would stop sand or other small debris from being sucked in.  I figure the company that makes the spa is recommending their use for some reason, so I'll continue to use them.  Do they help or not?  I have no idea.
Bewman
Brewman

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 11:46:45 am »

I agree, the Optima is an awesome tub.

I had the socks on for the first three weeks. I gave up after that because of the kids. Their feet kept knocking them off. I got fed up with putting them back on.  My dealer agreed and said not to worry. the concern is twofold. First, and most importantly in my mind is hair. My daughter has long hair and if her hair were to get sucked in drowning is a possibility. It's nt always possible to keep a 6 yar old from not putting her head under water so a rule was put in place that she wear a bathing cap, and that seems to work.

Second reason is for larger particulate. In my case the tub is recessed in our deck so the chance of that happening is remote, and as my dealer said, these pumps are built for it, a rock would break the impeller but the cap would prevent that size of particulate from getting in so not issue.

Sorry about the pitching sound. I have none of that. Dealer may help with it.

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 06:27:44 pm »
Thought of the diverters and tried adjusting all one way or the other and it didn't seem to make a difference.  Also tried adding air to the stream for both the foot jets and the corner seat but that didn't do anything either.  Guess I'll make the call and see what they say.

Ken

Ken, was wondering what you may have found out about this?  I have a Cameo but similar issue.  I thought that the one was used with circ pump.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 07:48:21 pm »
Spas now have safety measures to prevent drowning if hair or anything else would get caught in an intake.  Thus the reason for three intakes at the bottom of the spa and the reason for the bypass on the filter intakes to those same bottom intakes if there is an obstruction.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 09:29:27 pm »

Ken, was wondering what you may have found out about this?  I have a Cameo but similar issue.  I thought that the one was used with circ pump.

I actually haven't had a chance to call the dealer yet but will post when I hear what they say.  From what I understand the 3 footwell intakes are for pump 2 and pump 1 and the circ pump take water in through the filter.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 09:29:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42