What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Air Injection  (Read 12478 times)

Dave_L

Air Injection
« on: October 07, 2004, 07:03:17 pm »
How does air injection work on a Jacuzzi hot tub?

I see some manufacturers offer an air blower. When I look in the control panel/pump bay on my tub, I don't see anything of the sort.

Does it work on a vacuum principle? Water flows through a venturi  causing a vacuum which then pulls air into the water stream?

Thanks,
Dave

Hot Tub Forum

Air Injection
« on: October 07, 2004, 07:03:17 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Air Injection
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 07:29:32 pm »
You might be descrbing 2 different things.  
Our spa (Optima) has an air blower, and dozens of little jets that do nothing but funnel this blown air into the spa water.  Strictly just forced air.  Not all spas I looked at offered blowers.

Thing 2 is your venturi reference, where a valve(s) introduces air into the jets that the water is pumped thru.  Our spa has several of these valves, which control different jet groups.
Brewman  

Brewman

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 07:52:31 pm »
Just to add, not all air blowers just add bubbles through separate air jets. Some blowers simply add forced air through the same channels as the venturi and increase the air mixture to the jets (ie. Coleman). Some do both (ie. Beachcomber)
Homeworks Financing Representative

Jordy

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 09:51:19 pm »
Hello Dave L,
Jacuzzi draws warm air through slots located in the motor cavity to the air controls. When the air control is activated, the warm air is injected into the jets water line. Without getting to technical, Jacuzzi (and only Jacuzzi) has a patented process that injects air from more locations and the result of this engineering is a high-volume, low pressure massage that is both effective and enjoyable.

What model are you considering and what other manufacturers have you checked out?

Dave_L

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:41:25 pm »
Jordy, All,

We actually already have a Jacuzzi, a J-365. Have had it approx 6 weeks and totally enjoy it. For us and our guests the foot dome makes the massage aspect of the tub.

My question on air injection basically relates to wanting to know how things work.

From time to time, you will probably see me raise these types of questions.

Thanks for the responses.

Dave  

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 12:02:26 pm »
Without getting to technical, Jacuzzi (and only Jacuzzi) has a patented process that injects air from more locations and the result of this engineering is a high-volume, low pressure massage that is both effective and enjoyable.

That sounds like it came straight from a brochure. ;)

On our tub (Optima), we have a blower that injects colder air into the tub through the air jets.  The air that is added to the jet stream likely comes from a warmer part of the cabinet as I can't tell any temperature difference when it's on.  That air only appears to change the massage and intensity of the water jets.

Any spa with the extra control on the panel (like ours) uses a dedicated air blower and has air jets. (although I'm sure there are spas with the contol on the panel with no blower as they are using a 3rd party generic control system)  From what I've read, there is some theraputic benifit to having the 'cold' air when you're in the 'hot' water.  This is one of the bigger reasons we chose the spa we did, as this feature isn't available on many of the spas out there.

Some manufacturers will tell you that they 'used to have it' but took out as it brought down the temp of the water.  In our case, I'm not worried about the temp of the water (that's what we have a heater for).  We wanted to have the air jets and enjoy that hot/cold sensation when the jets are on.

In addition, spas with air blowers typically offer aromatherapy.   Some will tell you it works well and some will tell you it doesn't work at all.  We've only tried a couple of scents with our Optima.  Personally, I'd rather use the air blowers and scented inserts instead of putting scented oil into the spa.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 02:47:44 pm »
Actually, the Sundance draws air from the "heated motor cavity" also for water jets.  The air blower for the dedicated air jets is also in the same area (though it is a vented cavity).

I agree, the air blower adds another dimension to the spa.  Where JacuzziPremium has the waterfall, Sundance has the air blower.  I also have never put any scented crysals or liquids into my water.

zacman

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 08:16:57 pm »
We have the Optima, which has the air blowers to inject just air alone throughout the spa.  Regarding the other air feature, however, the venturi air which you can cause to come through the jets with the water for a differnent and more forceful massage, there is, I believe a significant difference between the Jacuzzi and Optima.  With the Optima you can add air to the jets gradually, but I think the Jacuzzi only lets you turn it all the way on or all the way off. . . others can comment if this is not correct.  And finally, Optima has a whirlpool function to which you can also add air mixture - the Jacuzzi we wet tested did not have this function and it was something we really wanted and use.  Jacuzzi dealer, in response to my inquiry about whirlpool function told me people no longer wanted that feature, but because I recalled we used it a lot in our last tub, we took Jacuzzi out of consideration. . . Hope I am right about my facts. . .

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 08:40:35 pm »
Sounds about right to me.  We also like the whirlpool feature of the Optima.  
Brewman
Brewman

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 09:03:12 pm »
How could he have been had?  He said he bought a Sundance, not a Cavein.
Brewman

Brewman

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 09:31:02 pm »
Your posts might have more credibility if you actually owned a H@@@n spa.  Nah, no they wouldn't.  

Brewman
Brewman

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 11:27:39 pm »
DNFTT

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 12:19:52 am »
How could he have been had?  He said he bought a Sundance, not a Cavein.
Brewman

Thank you Brewman.  I am VERY HAPPY with our Sundance and don't feel anywhere close to being had.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

htfun

Can someone get rid of Mr. Happy?
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 12:43:25 am »

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown! ;D

I think it's about time that the moderator steps in and does something about this guy.  There are people here asking serious questions and expect dignified responses.  I think Mr. Happy's responses have now crossed the line.

zacman

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 10:59:16 am »
Why would anyone admit, publicly, that they owned a Haven ?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 10:59:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42