What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying Dilemma  (Read 2811 times)

thunder57

Buying Dilemma
« on: October 18, 2004, 11:23:04 am »
I have appreciated finally finding a site that seems to be objective about the very confusing spa buying experience.
After much research and wet testing this weekend, my wife and I have narrowed it down to the following:
Hot Springs Prodigy - $5300 complete
Caldera Hawaiian ( same as Aspire except without sound) - $7400 complete
Sundance Marin - $7500 complete
Caldera Martinique - $6500 complete

We originally went to see and purchase the HS Sovereign but found it too deep for my wife and also didn't find the Motomassage anything special and realized we did not need a lounger. The Prodigy can also run on 110V which was helpful after finding out we needed 130 feet of 230V run. (an additional $780).

I am just now not sure whether the Prodigy will give me a complete therapeutic experience which I want. I work out alot. The Caldera Hawaiian seemed to have it all, but will run us $2300 extra. Will those jets make a big difference? Will the foot jets, wrist jets, etc. make for a better therapeutic experience? We actually found the lounger on the Caldera Martinique the most comfortable one for the two of us.HS claims to have the most therapeutic placement and strength of jets.
I threw in the Sundance Marin  simply because of the reputation, although I have heard about potential leak issues.
Any advise would be appreciated.  
Marty

Hot Tub Forum

Buying Dilemma
« on: October 18, 2004, 11:23:04 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Buying Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:45:12 am »
All the brands you speak of are well thought of but you wet tested it so I certainly can't tell you which is the best choice, only you know how each fits/feels to YOU. Many will tell you they have one of the models you speak f and love it but it just means it was best for them. Others will tell you to also go look at brand "Y" that they own but its up to you whether you want to wet test more. My only comment would be that this purchase is designed to last you 10+ years so unless the $$ difference is a problem I'd say try not to "settle" based on price as the worst feeling you can have is to sit in your second choice spa the next 15 years knowing it was your second choice. Then again, it’s your bank account, not mine.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chris_H

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 11:51:07 am »
I’m not very familiar with the Caldera spas, but am familiar with the Hotspring and Sundance.  

$5,300 for a Prodigy is a really great price.  I have seen the Prodigy as high as $6,700 in the New Jersey/Pennsylvania/New York/Delaware area.  I recommend my customers to go 110V as often as they can to save some money.  In my opinion, you don’t lose much when you go 110V, and you can always upgrade it later to 220V.  Obviously, opinions vary.

In regards to the Marin, it is another smaller spa.  I consider it Sundance’s version of the Hotspring Sovereign so the price should be around the same price as the Sovereign (within $500 dollars).  

I would not worry about the leaky spa issue with Sundance.  That was at least 6 years ago.  Also, not sure if you know this, if a Sundance spa leaks in the plumbing (not equipment) within 6 months of ownership you will get a new spa.  Your dealer is required to send the spa back to Sundance for testing.  This came about because of their leaky issue back in the late 1990’s.  

You asked a question about foot jets and wrist jets making a better therapeutic experience.  Only you can figure out if the foot and wrist jets make a better experience.  That’s why everyone on this board recommends a wet-test.

usuallytrue

• Sundance owner
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 12:00:07 pm »
Thunder 57 -

I also work out a lot as well and I wet tested both the HS Prodigy and the Sundance Marin (no caldera dealer near me so can't speak to those)  I think you are right in saying that you may not get the "therapeutic experience" you are looking for with the Prodigy.  The first thing I noticed on the Prodigy was the lack of footwell jets.  I did not want to have to put my legs up on the seat to get my calf muscles... I also found the jet strength to be better with the Sundance.

I actually ended up with a Sundance Altamar (one step up from the Marin) sundance does have a couple of tubs (Capri?) that run on 110. (FYI the leak issues with the Sundance occured back in the mid-90's.  That issue has long been solved)

I think you should go with the Caldera as it sounds like you liked that the best.  Believe me, after your first soak after a good long workout you will think it's the best investment you ever made.  The last thing you want is to be kicking yourself for not getting what you really want...and deserve ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 12:00:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42