What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Concrete pad or Wood Deck.  (Read 8383 times)

mhraracing

Concrete pad or Wood Deck.
« on: October 12, 2004, 08:10:38 pm »
Hi all - I have done a pretty extensive search on this site - and if this has already been debated to death forgive me but I have to ask.

We will be buying a spa in the coming weeks and wanted to know what is a better base to put a spa on ?

Concrete Slab or Wood Patio

I have the ability to build either....but we are struggling with what is a better option. The patio would be 12 X 12 . There is a slight slope to the area about 4 inch slope.

If you could give us the pros and cons of either - it would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

Concrete pad or Wood Deck.
« on: October 12, 2004, 08:10:38 pm »

UnderTheStars

Re: Concrete pad or Wood Deck.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 11:30:53 pm »
Hi Mhraracing!  sorry you haven't had any responses yet.  Maybe if we bump this up you'll get some thoughts.  FWIW, I'd first look at the manufacturer's site for a recommendation.

For example Hotspring says minimum acceptable is a 4" reinforced slab for their larger tubs.  (potential warranty issue here?)  For the smaller ones they "highly recommend" the crete route.  So once you pick the tub that might have some bearing.

Beyond that, I went concrete because a slab "floats" with frost heave and stays in a relatively flat plane.  Compacted base options (gravel/pavers, etc.) may work just as well. . .I know they get a lot of nods from folks on this board.  But I was nervous about frost heave under one part of the installation causing the tub to "rack."  Hey, I'm new to hottubs and will defer to greater wisdom. . .Whadya think guys?  Give mhraracing some ideas here!
Stars

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 11:42:44 pm »
Before you do either contact your local building department. My township requires that a concrete "slab" have footings in it, one on each corner for the tub.

I would think that if you build either correctly you won't have any problems. Just remember that your placing a very heavy object (tub, water, people snow?) on a deck and it needs to hold the weight. I'm planning on a deck and I'm going to beef it up to hold a load of at least 100 PSF.

Good luck!

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 09:01:57 am »
In many areas concrete or a deck are considered permanent structures and are added to your property taxes.  A tub on 6x6s and gravel or patio block are temporary and are not taxed.  In a high property tax area like NJ - this is a consideration.

mhraracing

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 08:33:21 pm »
Thanks for the bump - underthestars and thanks for the replys.

Before I purchase the spa - I will also ask my dealer if there are any warranty issues about placement on either.

As of right now - we are leaning towards a deck. When I spoke to one the dealers we are considering....they said that they have plans they would give me to help design the deck appropriatly.

I will go to the town hall and ask about building codes and permits. Would hate to build either - only to have the town assesor come and say I am out of code and have to rebuild.

Thanks again. - Once I start building I will take progress pictures.
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Jordy

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 01:29:38 am »
How high off the ground is the deck going to be?
As far as support goes, ask your local dealers for a "Pre-Delivery Guide" or booklet. This booklet will have specific minimum requirements stated in it for your consideration. Which manufacturer's are you considering?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 01:26:09 pm »
Tubs on decks tend to be louder than tubs on: concrete, stone. I have no experience with the spa pads to make any comments.
Homeworks Financing Representative

UnderTheStars

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 06:17:29 pm »
Wow!  Great input HotTubMan!  It never would have ocurred to me (louder on decks that on the ground.)  But that makes perfect sense.  (BTW, still laughing over your comments on "cut out the middleman" - good one!)
Stars
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 06:18:46 pm by UnderTheStars »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 06:17:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42