What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shocking and Cover Damage  (Read 10171 times)

TALKCalgary.com

Shocking and Cover Damage
« on: October 10, 2004, 03:06:31 pm »
I have been recommended to shock our bromine spa water with 188 grams of Bromate each week. This takes our bromine level from 4ppm right off the scale. It then takes several hours to come back down to the 4 ppm level. Do I have to leave the cover off during this time? When our Canadian winter kicks in and temperatures drops, leaving the cover off is not something I would like to do if I can help it. At what level can I safely close the cover without it being in danger of disintegrating?  :-[

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Shocking and Cover Damage
« on: October 10, 2004, 03:06:31 pm »

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
Re: Shocking and Cover Damage
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 06:18:02 pm »
I would say 30 minutes.  but I'm no expert.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 07:50:43 pm »
Newbie here (2 months) so I'm basically guessing and going by what I've read here.  I use chlorine and when I shock I leave it open about 20 minutes.

Now that the weather is getting cooler I'm trying something new - Prop one side of the cover by sticking two empty pop cans in foam cozies under the edge.  Holds it open about 4"   It lets the tub vent a little but doesn't lose as much heat?  (I think someone here suggested something like this.)  Long-term effect = I have no idea  :-/

I have read here that it's a trade-off:  On one hand the sanitizer will shorten life of the vinyl cover.  On the other hand, leaving tub open all winter . . .well, you know.  I'm leaning the direction that I want a reasonable electric bill.
Stars
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 07:52:33 pm by UnderTheStars »

Jordy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 09:07:51 pm »
Hi TALKCalgary,
I don't know of a way this can be avoided. You need to shock the tub on a regular basis (10+ppm sanitizer) because you need to burn off (reduce) the total combined chlorine (or bromamines in your case) in your  spa water. There are two ways you can do this:
1.) Granular Bromine
2.) Non-chlorine "shock" product

Talk to your dealer to find out what product's to purchase in the line of water care products he offers (if it's Beachcomber it's probably a Purity product.

Ideally, you will need to remove your cover for 20-40 minutes to allow off-gassing of the fumes created by the chemical process that occurs when you do this. If you don't remove your cover, you will significantly reduce it's useful life. In terms of generall cover care and maintenance, do the following:
1.) Always remove your cover for 20-40 minutes after adding water care products (to prevent harmful off-gassing from damaging the underside of your cover).
2.) Purchase a cover cleaning product from your dealer that is specifically designed for spa covers ( never use products such as Armourall- as these will draw moisture out of your cover). A spa cover cleaning product will keep your cover's vinyl soft and supple, preventing drying and cracking that will eventually allow moisture to permeate the vapour barrier protecting the core insulating material. When the vapour barrier is compromised, moisture will be absorbed by the core insulating material and your cover will lose it's insulating value and become very heavy and cumbersome to remove. It is important for spa owners to remember to apply the spa cover cleaning product to the UNDERSIDE of the cover!!! Many spa owners simply clean the exterior surface of the cover. Please remember to clean the underside of the cover if you wish to get the maximum life out of your cover before needing to replace it. I have some clients who have needed to replace their cover after 2 years, and I have other clients who diligently maintained and cared for their covers and got 10 years use before replacing. Good Luck!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:46:36 am »
Shock with MPS. You can leave the cover open for a few minutes and be done with it.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 01:53:10 am »
Shock with MPS. You can leave the cover open for a few minutes and be done with it.

MPS?  ???

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 02:00:48 am »
Yes. Never to be confused with PMS, which can severely limit spa use.  ;D :D ;)

It is "non-chlorine shock" to most spa dealers. It is an oxidizer, not a sanitizer, and it goes into and out of the water very quickly. Here's a snip, compliments of Google:

MPS is Potassium monopersulfate compound (Synonyms: potassium peroxymonosulfate)It is a free-flowing, white granular solid, soluble in water. It is present as a component of a triple salt including potassium monopersulfate, potassium sulfate and potassium bisulfate with the formula 2KHSO5·KHSO4·K2SO4. The oxidation potential of this compound is derived from its peracid chemistry.Potassium monopersulfate production site

The compound provides powerful non-chlorine oxidation for a wide variety of industrial and consumer uses. It’s applications may be found in oral hygiene formulations, pool and spa shock and disinfections, paper recycling, printed circuit board etching, wool shrink proofing, laundry bleaches, precious metal extraction process. The compound is an important auxiliary agent in organic synthesis for oxidizing plenty of organics and functioning as the epoxy oxidizer of the twin bonds of organic chemicals. It’s also a free radicle introductory agent in many polymeric reactions. Potassium peroxymonosulfate can be used to oxidize hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and other reduced sulfur compounds, such as mercaptans, sulfides, disulfides, and sulfites in waste water treatment. It’s also an oxygen releasing agent in aquiculture and low temperature bleaching agent in detergent formulations.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 03:14:11 am »
Steve  I hope you and yours are enjoying your new Beachcomber Hot Tub.  You made a great choice..

If you use a Spa Blanket it will protect your cover and becomes sacrifical.   That is, it will take the damage rather than your expensive cover during the winter months when you do not want to leave the cover open.

A spa blanket will cost you $25 - 30 cdn.

You can attach the spa blanket with silicone  and velcro strips on the edges only, to the opening side of your cover so that when you open the cover the spa blanket goes with it.  

I have done this since purchasing our Beachcomber and it works really well.

If you want more info on how to attach it email me.

Regards,  Zz
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 03:15:25 am by ZzTop »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 10:40:17 am »
Prop one side of the cover by sticking two empty pop cans in foam cozies under the edge.  Holds it open about 4"   It lets the tub vent a little but doesn't lose as much heat?  (I think someone here suggested something like this.)

Hey UTS,
Thanks for suggesting this.  I suggested this in a thread a couple of months ago for venting heat in overheating spas.  Mine has direct sun exposure all day and the venting helps out greatly.  Hadn't thought of using it for "aftershock" but I may use it once it gets chilly.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

UnderTheStars

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 12:22:59 pm »
My pleasure WSD!  (particularly since it was your idea to begin with - Lol!)  Hey, I'll be over at 6 and we can celebrate our joint brilliance with martinis!
UTS

Zoo

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 12:26:10 pm »
Hi Zztop,

Thanks for the info on the spa blanket. I had always thought of them as just a way to save some energy. Now I see just how much $ they could save you by helping maintain your cover longer.

Good post!

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 01:05:34 pm »
I'm confused. Which chemicals hurt the cover and what do they attack...the vinyl, the stiching, both? Also, is it the fumes or the water that do the attacking? If it is fumes, how does a spa blanket help? Is 303 the product for the underside too? The label doesn't say anything about chlorine gases.

Also help me understand dichlor and MPS. I thought they were just two different ways of killing microbadstuff that is in the water. It was explained to me that diclor is a sanitizer and more effective (as chlorine gas is poisonious), but some don't like the feel and smell. So it was suggested I use MPS daily to kill the microbadstuff daily and after use by allowing it and my Nature 2 to oxidize it. Then once a week I was to zap it with dichlor in case anything got by the MPS.

Was I misled? Please help me understand how this stuff is really supposed to work and which destoy my cover and how.

BTW, I have had my tub since March and I use Nature 2. I add 2 tblthingys of MPS 4 times a week and after each use. My wife and I are about the only regular users (3-4 X per week). Once a week I add 2 tblthingys of dichlor. I leave the cover open for about 20 minutes and that's only because I don't know the answer to what damages your cover, so I don't take any chances. I don't leave it open after adding the MPS. I changed the water after the first 4 months. It's about time for the second change. Of course I clean the filters regularly (weekly). It's pretty easy for me to keep the PH in balance. My water is always clear. I test with strips for ALK, PH, and MPS. But like I've heard on this board, battery acid is clear. Am I doing enough?

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 04:40:37 am »
Steve  
If you use a Spa Blanket it will protect your cover and becomes sacrifical.   That is, it will take the damage rather than your expensive cover during the winter months when you do not want to leave the cover open.

A Spa Blanket will cost you $25 - 30 cdn.  
You can attach the spa blanket with silicone  and velcro strips on the edges only, to the opening side of your cover so that when you open the cover the spa blanket goes with it.  

I have done this since purchasing our Beachcomber and it works really well.

If you want more info on how to attach it email me.

Regards,  Zz

I have had a number of emails asking for more details, so here they are:  I have also posted this as a separate thread.

HOW TO ATTACH A SPA BLANKET TO YOUR HOT TUB COVER.  

(Everything I know on how to protect and give added years of life to your expensive Spa Cover.)

I used strips of Velcro about 3/4 inch wide by3 inches long.  I spaced four of them out on the outside edge of the cover.  You may wish to use more depending on the length of the cover.  

The adhesive on the velcro does not stick to the vinyl cover very well so I used Clear Silicone.  Apply the hook side of the velcro on the cover, the rug side on the Spa blanket.
Remove the Spa Cover and lay the spa blanket over the tub.  I cut the blanket to the OUTSIDE dimensions of the tub. Then install the Spa Cover and Silicone the velcro strips onto the blanket and Cover while they are in place.

Let the silicone set and you are ready to go.

I have a cover lifter and when I flip the first half of the cover over, the Spa blanket goes with the cover.

BTW, I left the other end of the spa blanket loose, but you could do the same thing on the other end too,  but make sure you have left enough length so there is an allowance for the folding cover.   Whether you attach the other end or not  when cutting the Spa blanket be sure you leave extra length for allowance of the fold of the cover when it opens.   Approx 8 - 12 inches depending on the thickness of the spa cover.

By using Velcro when it is time to replace the Spa Blanket, just apply velcro on the new replacement and away you go.

To seal and protect the top and underside of the vinyl and stiching of your Spa Cover it is a good idea to spray it with 303 Aerospace protectant (www.303.products.com).  Beyond being a sunscreen, it also helps prevent mildew growth.  Do Not use ArmorAll or Black Magic!

A Spa Blanket is Cheap Insurance, and it will save you money on keeping the heat in the tub, helps prevent the cover from absorbing water and getting heavy to lift, and keeps the Chlorine and chemical gases from attacking the underside of your Spa Cover.

I have found that if you do not attach the Spa Blanket to the Spa Cover it can be a real pain in the ass to handle and store.

I also use Steve Russell's Cover Saver which takes the stress off the stitched Spa Cover Hinge when using a Cover Lifter.  It could also add years of service to the Cover.

If your Spa is not in a Gazebo it is also a good idea to put a plastic tarp over the Top of the Spa Cover in Winter to protect it from rain, ice and snow.  Just pull it off along with the acumulated snow before opening.  It is just that easy!

Hope this helps,

Happy Hot Tubbing . . . .  

Regards,    Zz

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 05:16:11 am by ZzTop »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 07:53:07 am »
Ok, those of you have seen chemical damage to your covers, how long did it take?  What is the inside of your cover lined with?  I've been adding chlorine, and shocking while closing the cover immediately for 18 months now and my cover still looks great.  The inside is lined with a white material that has a texture to it that seems to help hold the cover in place. I can see a slight color difference (whiter) where the cover is over water vs where it is over the edge of the tub. But the cover is still quite solid.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 08:26:50 am »
My pleasure WSD!  (particularly since it was your idea to begin with - Lol!)  Hey, I'll be over at 6 and we can celebrate our joint brilliance with martinis!
UTS

UTS,
I am seriously down with that!  I'll make sure to stuff the olives with your favorite bleu cheese as well!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 08:26:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42