What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning the cover  (Read 2390 times)

UnderTheStars

Cleaning the cover
« on: October 10, 2004, 02:23:06 pm »
Everything I've seen on this says I should start by removing the cover  and prop it up against a fence or lay it on a clean, flat area such as a concrete driveway.  Then scrub, rinse, etc.

But I'm looking out the window at my tub and it seems that if the cover is closed & properly positioned rain water runs off without going into the spa.  I thinking about scrubbing the top of the cover while it's in place; then rinse with a gentle stream of water from the hose (no nozzle/pressure, just the open hose end.)

Anyone ever do it this way?  Seem like it would work without getting soapy water in the tub?
Stars

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning the cover
« on: October 10, 2004, 02:23:06 pm »

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
Re: Cleaning the cover
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 02:39:48 pm »
I've just been spraying the dirt off weekly with a hose and putting on some 303 ("Aerospace" or "Spaceage" don't remember the name) vinyl protectant. Thought about taking the cover off but haven't yet figured how to disconnect it from the the lifter without seemingly putting it through enormous strain.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 02:51:14 pm »
Yep, I'm doing the "hose it off" thing too.  But I have hemlocks and a large pine close over the tub (and of course leaves from the hardwoods are starting to blow all over the place.)

I noticed today several brown stains from the leaves & needles. (a grey cover.)  Thinking about scrubbing it w/something mild (couple drops dish soap in a bucket of water.)  Just seems easier to do it in place rather than dragging it around the yard. . . Ok, I'm lazy!  LOL

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 06:20:39 pm »
I leave mine on when I clean it and put on the 303.  I can reach all the way into the center with no problem.  I also feel it would be ALOT of backache to take it off and put back on.

Oskar

• 2003 Marquis Reward
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 06:22:29 pm »
If you treat your cover regularly with 303, monthly or weekly depending on how much sun you get, you should have no problem with just sponging it off to keep it clean, even bird droppings will come off, unless you leave them on for  a week or so. On the inside I just wipe it down with a sponge and a mild solution of Clorox to sanitize and help prevent mildew.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 06:27:08 pm »
Well, I guess I am lazy & haven't been doing a weekly cleaning of the cover.  Anyway, I just scrubbed it (in place) with soapy water & a soft brush (1/2 bucket water w/a couple drops dish soap,)  Hosed it off & when dry used the protectorant. - No harm, no foul, and no soap got in the tub.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 06:50:43 pm »
Underthestars,
I do exactly what you did and then apply 303.  You should have no problems.

Rocket

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 06:50:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42