What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: "Magnetize" your water?  Follow up?  (Read 6048 times)

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
"Magnetize" your water?  Follow up?
« on: October 06, 2004, 01:56:43 pm »
OK, I'll bite.

A while back I saw some postings on this device.  I searched for follow up but didn't see any.  Anyone out there have more info or experience with this product? Does it work?

Explaination of Magnetic Device

Please read the "Scenario of spa events" listed at the bottom of the link.  By "Day 14: Most chemicals can be discontinued except for one half the normal rate of sanitizer."

TGTBT?

I think I've seen pictures of something like this on recently installed tubs pictured in this forum?

Thanks...

A curious Drewski

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

"Magnetize" your water?  Follow up?
« on: October 06, 2004, 01:56:43 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: "Magnetize" your water?  Follow up?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 02:14:35 pm »
I don't buy it for a moment.  Magnets seem to be this century's snake oil.  My wife even sold nikken stuff for awhile.   My background is electronic engineering and I don't believe magnets have any effect on non metal objects unless they are super powerful.  If the magnetic system doesn't work, I'll sell you some crystal pyramids that ward away the evil spa spirits.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 02:32:42 pm »
Yeah, that's what I kind of figured, but the "polarization" claim at least sounded reasonable.

I just don't understand how particle charge could be maintained in a conductive environment (given it's not naturally occurring), or how the device could impart such a charge without using energy?

??

spaguyohio

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 02:49:45 pm »
That device looked like the same one I saw on the news last week, except you clip it on your fuel line for added MPG. Their tests showed it had the opposite effect.

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 03:08:13 pm »
I don't buy it for a moment.  Magnets seem to be this century's snake oil.  My wife even sold nikken stuff for awhile.   My background is electronic engineering and I don't believe magnets have any effect on non metal objects unless they are super powerful.  If the magnetic system doesn't work, I'll sell you some crystal pyramids that ward away the evil spa spirits.

Two-time Nobel Prize winner, Linus Pauling, received a Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1954 for his discovery of the magnetic properties of hemoglobin in the blood. He found that iron, in addition to its function as the carrier of oxygen, plays an important role in cell metabolism. Since iron and as many as five electrolytic salts in our blood circulate biomagnetically, Magnetic Therapy can beneficially influence the naturally occurring magnetic currents in our bodies.

I don't know that I buy into the Magnets that most of the "snake oil" type companies use but I do believe that there is a value in the research of magnetic properties in several fields including ours.

Hopefully they don't just hand out Nobel Prizes for "snake oil". ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 03:09:23 pm by tazman »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 03:45:09 pm »
First it was cattle magnets on your fuel line to align the molucules in your gasoline so it would give you car extra power and more MPG's.  Turned out it was bunk.
Then you were to put your cow magnets on your waterline to take the place of a water softener.  Also bunk.  
Now onto the spa market.  Miracle water treatment, or more bunk?

Brewman
Brewman

tazman

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 03:47:43 pm »
First it was cattle magnets on your fuel line to align the molucules in your gasoline so it would give you car extra power and more MPG's.  Turned out it was bunk.
 Then you were to put your cow magnets on your waterline to take the place of a water softener.  Also bunk.  
 Now onto the spa market.  Miracle water treatment, or more bunk?

Brewman

Cow Magnets? Horse Power? Whats next, Turkey Filters?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 04:22:15 pm »
I admit to buying and installing 2 sets of the magnets from Doc's site with this rationale:
It is a one time cost, it shouldn't do any harm (except to my wallet), it may have long term benefits but, in the short term, I don't buy into the reduced sanitizer talk any more than I do for ozonators and mineral introducers.  I do feel that ozonators and mineral introduction systems will supplement sanitation, especially when the tub is left unattended, but I really haven't noticed a reduction in sanitizer use.  As for the effects of magnets, I'd like to report, as has Northman on Doc's board, that the water feels 'silkier' but that is so subjective and subtle that I cannot quantify it at all though it 'seems' to be so.  As far as being beneficial to my pumps/heater/plumbing, only time will tell.  But I truly believe that proper water chemistry WILL have a much greater effect on that as well.  But, like I first said, it is a one time cost........snake oil or not.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 06:25:44 pm »
Magnets have been around for a while as helpful. Magnets do affect things that can be magnetized but the question to ask is to what degree.

Put a magnet onto your computer screen or television and see what effect it has (Please don't do this to a good tv or computer screen).  The magnets bend the electrons coming at the screen. There are actually magnets on the throat of the tube to bend the electrons where you want them to go.

But magnetism at least with a small magnet is very short range. Yes everything with an electron (which is everything) IS effected by magnetism. but it depends on the strength of the magnet.

I work on medical equipment and a MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) uses a magnetic field of 10x the earth's magnetic field to align the body's electrons - there are bigger magnets being developed. The effect on magnetic objects is amazing. The more magnetic mass an object has the more far reaching the magnet's pull is. Also the more metal in the vicinity of the MRI the more magnetic irregularities it has. How the picture of your body parts are taken is more complicated to explain and we're not going there in this post.

My point about this is that a small magnets will do "something" but don't have enough power to really contribute much of anything.

tazman

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 08:59:06 pm »
WSD,
Kinda gives me the willies when a big windsurf dude uses words like "silkier" and "subtle" ??? ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 08:00:22 am »
Whats next, Turkey Filters?

Required on H a ve n spas?   You know someone was going to say it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 09:33:45 am »
OK guys, this is all GREAT:

BUT, only Windsurfdog (Wat'UP, dawg?) is actually using what I asked about.

WSD: that response you left looks awfully identical to the one you posted in August (?) about the same subject.  So, is it working?  Any results?

Seriously, I'd like to know.  Promise, I won't give you a hard time about it...  (Our favorite Buckeye fan might, but NOT me!)

Thanks...

Drewski

8)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 09:36:03 am »

Seriously, I'd like to know.  Promise, I won't give you a hard time about it...  (Our favorite Buckeye fan might, but NOT me!)

8)

I've said my piece on the subject, and I should be keeping a low profile this week.  Northwestern!  :-[ And Wisconsin this week  :P
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 09:36:36 am by wmccall »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 10:33:49 am »
WSD,
Kinda gives me the willies when a big windsurf dude uses words like "silkier" and "subtle" ??? ;D

Duuude,
LMAO again!  Shall I expound upon the elegance of doilies next?  ;D

BUT, only Windsurfdog (Wat'UP, dawg?) is actually using what I asked about.

WSD: that response you left looks awfully identical to the one you posted in August (?) about the same subject.  So, is it working?  Any results?

Thanks...

Drewski

Yeah, Drewmeister, it does look a lot like earlier posts only because it's so unquantifiable (is that a word??--certainly not as expressive as 'silkier' and 'subtle').  I wish I could report great things about it.  All I really know is that I'm very pleased with the quality of my water.  Is this because of my dichlor routine?  Or that I have mineral filters and ozone?  Or that I am fastidious (hey, there's a good word!) about keeping the filters clean and water well adjusted?  Or is it the magnets?  The answer is E:  All of the above.  Just too many variables and, unlike Northman, I'm too lazy to do scientific, controlled procedures to make the determination (I'm too busy soaking the night away).  Leave it to say, it is part of my hot tub experience.  It cost me about $50 (Doc's smiling now), I'm pleased to experience good, clean, clear water and only time will tell if my whole routine, including magnets, will benefit the longevity of the tub.  Other than that, I'd love for others to try them (and so would Doc!) and see if they reach the same conclusions or inconclusions, as the case may be.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

tazman

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 11:32:40 am »

Required on H a ve n spas?   You know someone was going to say it.

Thanks wm,
I was hoping someone would snag that straight line!

WSD,
I guess your comments didn't quite give me the "willies" as bad as one before where a guy with a name like Vinny talks about "body parts"! Fugetaboutit! :o (hey I just thought of something, would a Canadian mobster say fugitaboootit?) 8)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 11:48:25 am by tazman »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 11:32:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42