What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning the filters  (Read 5640 times)

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Cleaning the filters
« on: September 28, 2004, 12:05:22 pm »
I was doing my monthly ritual last night (no doubt with the crowd on this forum such a statement is bound to produce interesting comments)

Anyways, I did the usual, let the filter soak overnight in a solution from the dealer, and rinsed off extremely well.  I noticed that the filter was clean and white as usual but then took a peek in between the pleats.  WOAH!!!  :o  I could not believe the amount of material - hair, dirt, grass, etc.... - at the bottom of each pleat.  Short of opening each pleat up and sparying it clean is there a way to do that or should I not worry about it?

I have the Sundance Optima which has two filters, a samller disposable and a pleated re-usable filter. I want to make certain that I can get as much life out of the pleated filter as possible.  Any thoughts??

« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 12:07:28 pm by doodoo »

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning the filters
« on: September 28, 2004, 12:05:22 pm »

PPOL

Re: Cleaning the filters
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 01:11:05 pm »
d00d00-

Usually try and hit the filter with a hose sprayer in a spinning motion to get all that stuff out of the pleats before soaking over night in filter cleaner.  

After soaking over night, hit it again with a hose to rid the filter of the chemicals that are in the filter cleaner to avoid leaving some acids that will lower your pH when you place it back into operation.

Look into getting extra filters to "rotate" the filters out so you can enjoy the spa all the time  ;D

Good Luck

Neil O'Donovan
Phoenix Park Outdoor Living
Wilmington, NC

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 01:45:04 pm »
Should've mentioned that I do have two pleated filters that I rotate. So one sits out a month 'resting' .

I do hose it off very well before letting it sit on a shelf till the next use, I was just surprised about the amount of gunk at the bottom of the pleat. All of the oils are off, this is more material peices that cannot slip off or dissolve. I guess trying to use the hose in the pleat may help. Maybe centrifuge the thing or open each pleat and use the hose in the pleat. Do other do this?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 02:58:32 pm »
I also just did my monthly filter change on my optima.  I just hose thoroughly with a spray nozzle going from top to bottom while slowly spinning the filter.  Then I flip filter over and do the same.  I generally clean in between the pleats pretty good without having to "open them up."  I then will place the filter in the filter flask with solution and leave it there at least over night.  I then thoroughly rinse off in the same manner and store it till next change.

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 04:29:40 am »
You could also try high pressure air.  Either from an air compressor or a reversible shop vac.

r100rs

Tubber

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 06:50:46 am »
Air is not recommended. Check your local dealer to see if they have an Algea Bugger. It's a wand that attaches to your hoes with a brush attachment and a fine direct stream attachment that works great on pleated filters gets in the pleats nicely. You could also look into a spinner to sit your filter on when cleaning. It is simply an upright pole attached to a base to sit the filter on so it does not fall off when you hit it with all that water pressure.

Your absolutly right doodoo, the better you take care of those filters the longer they will last and better they will perform.

Roborph

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 03:10:12 pm »
 I've got a j-370 and I believe it has similar filters.
I typically hose mine off once each week and change the filters ( I also have a second set ) every 2 months.
I know the manufacturer recommends every month, but the dealer said every 2 months is fine.....

PPOL

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 03:53:13 pm »
It's a wand that attaches to your hoes...

I don't use a wand, I use the back o ma hand with my hoes.

;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 04:01:32 pm »

I use the back o ma hand with my hoes.

;D

Its killing me not to comment on this one.  ;D
I think this is a quote from Snoop Dog.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 04:04:10 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 04:33:35 pm »
Hey doodoo:

I use a hose with stong spray about 6" from the filter.  I also clean my filters every week -- takes less time because of less junk and also easier to clean...  Also found out water stays a lot cleaner because filter media works better and not as much water gets sucked through bypass.

Drewski

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

stiffy

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 05:01:16 pm »
Air is not recommended. Check your local dealer to see if they have an Algea Bugger. It's a wand that attaches to your hoes with a brush attachment and a fine direct stream attachment that works great on pleated filters gets in the pleats nicely.

How bout a pic of this wand thing u use with the hoes,,,LOL............ ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 07:04:20 pm »

I don't use a wand, I use the back o ma hand with my hoes.

;D

Now THAT was funny.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 07:31:46 pm »
Here’s a trick for you, drive a metal pipe into the ground and set the filter over it after soaking. Spray it off with a nozzle on your hose (or you could have one of your hoe’s do this for you!), as you spray it the spinning action will dislodge some of the particles with centrifugal force.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 01:22:04 pm »
Now, THAT'S a GOOD idea!

I'll try the pipe thing!

Thanks...
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 01:38:38 pm »
Now, THAT'S a GOOD idea!

I'll try the pipe thing!

Thanks...

It's kinda fun to! ;D

('sepcially if you have a cat when you turn on hoes, I mean howes or hoe's, NO IT"S  HOSE! Wow got it).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 01:38:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42