What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical Question  (Read 3354 times)

expos_fan

electrical Question
« on: October 06, 2004, 06:16:37 am »
Hello out there, took the plunge and am expecting delivery of a new cameo this thrusday. Purchased wire needed for installation 3-6ga indoor and 3-6ga outdoor. Running 70 ft inside home to a 60 amp GFCI and 20 feet outdoor to Tub.  ???Is it necessary or safer to have connected another standard 60 amp breaker in the houses main box or hard wire directly to input of house electrical box. I have heard 2 versions and seeking few more opinons.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 06:18:15 am by expos_fan »

Hot Tub Forum

electrical Question
« on: October 06, 2004, 06:16:37 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 07:55:08 am »
Find out what is allowable by the NEC.  Not sure of the hard wire to the panel option, but you certainly could tap into your main panel with a standard 2 pole 60 amp (or higher) non gfi breaker.  
If you wanted to, you could put your 60 amp GFI into your main panel, assuming you could find one to fit, and put another means of disconnect by the spa.  This could be as simple as a non fused 60 amp rated a/c pull box.
That option may save you a few bucks, since the pull box is cheaper ($10) than the 60 amp non GFI breaker.
But that would put your GFI away from the spa.  That's not a saftey issue, more a convenience issue.
Brewman
Brewman

expos_fan

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 09:11:41 am »
Thanks for info, if I get it right best bet is a standard 60 amp breaker in main box followed by wire to the GFIC box outside near spa area then hard wired to spa controller. This is something all should calculate when purchasing a spa.  :-X
A good GFIC box c/w alarm goes for approx. $260.00--$325.00 (if not included in spa purchase)+ a standard 60amp breaker + 3-6ga or 3-8ga wire at approx. $2.00--$3.50/ft. + electrican $125.00.
I guess it averages out to approx $ 500.00 CDN.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 09:18:15 am »
Sounds right, but I am not familiar at all with what type of electrical code issues are unique to Canada.  I know that there are some differences, though.  
Brewman
Brewman

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 02:26:06 pm »
Try these two e-Bay search strings:

Electrical Panels on e-Bay

GFI/GFCI Breakers on e-Bay

Sometimes you need to keep checking, but I've saved big $ buying new stuff on e-Bay compared to home centers or electrical supply stores.

Brewman's recomendation is the way to go...

Drewski
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 02:26:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42