What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Awww crap, I think I have a leak  (Read 5498 times)

Big_Ed

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Awww crap, I think I have a leak
« on: September 29, 2004, 10:01:05 pm »
Artesian Piper Glen, been running since Sept 12 with no issues.  Tubbed 2 nights ago and was a-ok.  Last night did not.  Tonight went to take a soak and water level was a good 4 inches lower than last (no evidence of movement before then).

Here in the Northeast, we just received the remnants of Hurricane Jeanne the last 2 days, tons of rain, so everything is wet.  So I can't trace where any leak might be.  In the tub I can't see nor feel any leaking spot.

I'll call the dealer in the morning, of course.  But any advise in the meantime on what to do?  HELP!

Hot Tub Forum

Awww crap, I think I have a leak
« on: September 29, 2004, 10:01:05 pm »

jenn

Re: Awww crap, I think I have a leak
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 11:54:48 pm »
That's what we were saying about 2 weeks ago....about our brand new tub.

This may seem obvious, and you've probably already done it, but did you check the drain thingy (yep, I'm not mechanically inclined) inside the cabinet?  When the service tech came out to check on the leak, that was the first thing they asked me....turns out it wasn't the problem.

They were not able to find the source of our leak and provided us with a brand new replacement tub within 4 days.

Hopefully your problem is a minor and repairable!  

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 12:15:32 am »
Geez, Big Ed, when people pay this much for a spa they shouldn't accept leaks of any kind!  When you pay almost $10k for something like that, a leak is just unacceptable!  You should go with an Artesian they never leak. Oh, oops.

-Ed

ps. JUST KIDDING

Leaks sometimes happen, I am poking fun at a different post from an Artesian owner who said something similar when Jenn had a leak in her tub.  

IF it is a leak your dealer will take care of you.  Relax, eat some cheetohs, and have the service guy tell you when it is time to tub again.

I think many people here will tell you all spas leak eventually but they can also be fixed.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 07:57:55 am »
, tons of rain, so everything is wet.  So I can't trace where any leak might be.  In the tub I can't see nor feel any leaking spot.

I'll call the dealer in the morning, of course.  But any advise in the meantime on what to do?  HELP!

Let us know what the dealer says. However, even if its wet you might be able to look inside and spot the leak.
I just got my leak problem resolved.   That makes 2 significant problems in 18 months.  Actually though, one problem caused the other.  At a year, I had a spa pak go bad, and the dealer replaced it under warranty. Just last week we started losing an inch of water a day as opposed to teh normal inch every week or two.

I popped open the front and saw a puddle inside the ABS pan.  Felt around the plumbing, spa pak, and ozonator and nothing. Turned on pump #2 still nothing. Turned on pump #1.   This pump runs for filtering and heating in my tub. The plumbing jerks a little bit when pump2 goes on high and they must not have tighened down the spa pak when they replaced it as it would move creating a leak on the output side of the heater.
They came out yesterday as promised and fixed it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 10:55:51 am »
Yo, "ebirrane"  *** YAWN ***, your BORING me...

I didn't say Artesians "never leak."  I just said mine didn't leak and people shouldn't put up with spas that do.

Enjoy your moment.  You earned it pal.

Oh, BTW, "JUST KIDDING!"

In the mean time, let's see if Jenn's suggestion is on the money.

Big_Ed, I hope your problem's a simple one.  I seem to remember you asking a question about "rotating jets" earlier.  If you tried this and "forced" one, it may have loosened a seal.  Sometimes the rings on those jets have a tendancy to "stick."

Good luck!

Drewski

:P

It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 11:24:15 am »
Try opening the front panel to make sure you don't have a simple issue with the equipment such as a loosened pump plug, untightened heater hose clamp, etc.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 09:30:35 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 11:51:39 am »
Big Ed,
I would almost bet it is the check valve for your Ozonator! Look at your ozone and see if you have water dripping from it. The other thing I have seen leak in a Piper Glen (Sorry Drewski but it does happen 8)) are the jets like Drewski suggested but don't let them tell you it is your fault! You shouldn't be able to rough enough on them during normal use to do that. Last year we fixed one that had a leak in the weir door. Finally I have seen a tube from the circ pump leak. Understand, we are not Artesian dealers and so we don't see a lot of them but form the ones we've seen with leaks these were some of the issues.

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 12:12:26 pm »
What is a weir door? I've seen this term pop up a number of times recently. Thanks.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 12:27:57 pm »
What is a weir door? I've seen this term pop up a number of times recently. Thanks.

It is a door that howls at every full moon! ;D

Actually the weir door is the same thing as a skimmer door. It is a term used in fisheries to direct the fish without blocking water flow.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 07:42:14 pm »
There are some guys on this forum with a great sence of humor.  that's great to see.

ebirrane

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 12:31:19 am »
I didn't say Artesians "never leak."  I just said mine didn't leak and people shouldn't put up with spas that do.

Actually, what I picked up on was when you said this:

"My point is that OTHER spa companies (besides the ones that are always mentioned here) make GOOD products.  If the "Fords" and 'Chevys" are breaking down or not even working correctly when started the first time, isn't it time to consider something else?"

Which I thought implied things that were not true. At best you told Jenn she bought a bum tub, imploring "when is it time to consider something else". At worst you imply that the big manufacturers are somehow growing fat and lazy on their reputation while little hard-working companies are making much better tubs (i.e. your Arteisan which hasn't leaked --except for the maintenance you posted about versus all those other major names leaking after the first day).  Great movie idea, but not true.

The point I'm enjoying so much is that a percentage of all spas have these problems, even Artesian.  So when its "time to consider something else" to avoid leaks, then look away from hot tubs in general because you could always get a leaker.  Of course, you can get it fixed too, and from a quality manufacturer, the fix sticks, and so there is no reason to NOT tolerate it.

Enjoy your moment.  You earned it pal.

Thank you!  Here... I'll enjoy it with sunglasses  8) No, it feels better when I smile..  ;D yeah.. that's good. Well, too much teeth. Maybe not, let me try it again...  ;D Yeah, I should stick the pearly whites back. Maybe just tone it down to  :) I think that's better.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

::)

;)
Peace.

-Ed

Drewski

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 01:17:50 pm »
Yo, "ebirrane"  *** YAWN ***, your BORING me...

Need I repeat myself?

ebirrane

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 12:12:46 am »

Need I repeat myself?

No need to be defensive, Drewie, I'll leave you alone from now on. I promise.

-Ed

Drewski

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 02:30:41 am »
Oh that's OK, Ed.

You don't have to leave me alone.

From what I saw of your second to last post, you're probably one of "those" guys that really likes to gloat.  And, that's easy to do in cyberspace.

I'll bet you tell everyone just how BIG your hot tub is too.  Hmmm.  Let me think about that one for a minute.

Now, please be predicktable and don't let me get the last word.

More smileys?

:-*

ebirrane

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 03:28:08 pm »
Big Ed,

Please let us know how your leak issue is coming along.  I know Drewski and I are being childish and hijacking this thread, and I apologize for that.  Please, in no way let this keep you from letting us know how your issue is being resolved.

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 03:28:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42