Original > Hot Tub Forum

Why not get an American Whirlpool hot tub?

<< < (3/4) > >>

castletonia:

--- Quote from: Sam on September 15, 2021, 06:38:50 pm ---
--- Quote from: wcmorris on September 15, 2021, 04:13:08 pm ---They have full foam insulation which is great for efficiency, but I prefer an insulation that is removable for easy access. After a ton of research I decided that these two things were requirements for me. That's what lead me to the Hot Spring Highlife collection; specifically the Envoy. It includes quality insulation that is easily removable in case I ever need repairs, dedicated circ pump, and fully composite pan and frame that should last pretty much forever. I've had the spa for two months now and it has been great. I would highly recommend it.

That said, there are many great options. I would simply say that if you prioritize quality then a dedicated circulation pump, fully insulated with easily removable insulation, and fully composite frame and pan would be requirements for me.   

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure that the highlife collection uses full foam just like bullfrog.  This is also what tells me the whole fiber core insulation system is b.s. and just a cheaper way to build hot tubs.  Why else would they use full foam instead on their top of the line spas if the fiber core is better?

--- End quote ---

The Highlife insulation is multi-density foam.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Bullfrog and most other full foam hot tubs use the 1/2 # and maybe upwards of 2# density insulation.  The Highlife's are also not a fiberglass shell so the insulation is also providing structural support that Fibercor could not.  That being said, big fan of Fibercor for both it's insulating capabilities and also being service friendly.

CanadianSpaTech:

--- Quote from: wcmorris on September 15, 2021, 04:13:08 pm --- Two, it can cause more wear on your jet pumps as those are the ones used for both circulation and powering the jets. This means there is potential for having to replace a big expensive pump sooner than you might if you had a dedicated circ pump.

--- End quote ---

Don't get me wrong here circ pumps are good and have benefit however the total pump replacement I do most is small Circulation Pumps especially the small Lanig magnetic drive ones. Usually they can't be rebuilt. They usually fail internally and not from leaking seals. They run 24/7 365 where a main 2 speed pump runs 4 hours a day and can usually be rebuilt fairly cheap. Impeller, Seal and front bearing well under $100 if you DIY. Most times when a main pump needs service it is due to a leaking seal. In some cases the entire pump needs replacement but again kinda close to the cost as a circ pump replacement. It is also one more thing to go wrong as you will still have 2 main pumps in most spas along with the circ instead of just 2 main pumps. Some would argue that a main pump running on low for a 2 hour filter cycle will shed heat inside the cabinet (140 - 160 degrees) and allow you to recoup some cost of operation. It will also inject warmer air into the air injection valves. When air is turned on and air is added to the stream of water the valve pulls air from inside the cabinet. Air injection should always be turned off when the spa is not in use to reduce cost as they will have a cooling effect from drawing air from inside the cabinet that is usually colder than the water temp. JMO

Tman122:

--- Quote from: CanadianSpaTech on September 16, 2021, 08:19:59 am ---
--- Quote from: wcmorris on September 15, 2021, 04:13:08 pm --- Two, it can cause more wear on your jet pumps as those are the ones used for both circulation and powering the jets. This means there is potential for having to replace a big expensive pump sooner than you might if you had a dedicated circ pump.

--- End quote ---

Don't get me wrong here circ pumps are good and have benefit however the total pump replacement I do most is small Circulation Pumps especially the small Lanig magnetic drive ones. Usually they can't be rebuilt. They usually fail internally and not from leaking seals. They run 24/7 365 where a main 2 speed pump runs 4 hours a day and can usually be rebuilt fairly cheap. Impeller, Seal and front bearing well under $100 if you DIY. Most times when a main pump needs service it is due to a leaking seal. In some cases the entire pump needs replacement but again kinda close to the cost as a circ pump replacement. It is also one more thing to go wrong as you will still have 2 main pumps in most spas along with the circ instead of just 2 main pumps. Some would argue that a main pump running on low for a 2 hour filter cycle will shed heat inside the cabinet (140 - 160 degrees) and allow you to recoup some cost of operation. It will also inject warmer air into the air injection valves. When air is turned on and air is added to the stream of water the valve pulls air from inside the cabinet. Air injection should always be turned off when the spa is not in use to reduce cost as they will have a cooling effect from drawing air from inside the cabinet that is usually colder than the water temp. JMO

--- End quote ---

A 2 speed jet pump will move more water in 4 hours than a circ pump will in 24 also.

Sam:
Just to add to the conversation, I've been told by engineers that 2 speed pumps have a higher failure rate than a similar 1 speed pump.

Tman122:

--- Quote from: Sam on September 16, 2021, 06:24:06 pm ---Just to add to the conversation, I've been told by engineers that 2 speed pumps have a higher failure rate than a similar 1 speed pump.

--- End quote ---

I don't doubt that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version