Original > Hot Tub Forum

Why not get an American Whirlpool hot tub?

(1/4) > >>

LynneA:
I've been looking for a few weeks and like several of the Caldera Utopia or Paradise and Hot Springs Highlife models (lounger models).  Planning on wet testing soon although they don't have my exact models of interest but similar. 

We also looked at American Whirlpool / Vita Spa. I like the American Whirlpool dealer much better so that's the one I'm considering (471 or 481) and it's several thousand $$ less than any Caldera or Hotsprings model. They don't get a lot of good press but I'm unclear why. Here are some key items I've noticed
-Steel Frame - I've seen varying opinions. Since they're newish, is there any data or just opinions. Says there's a lifetime warranty "should it become damaged in the operation of the spa."  Does that mean if it rusts, they fix? I'll ask the dealer.
-Insulation - they call it Northern Exposure. Seems a positive that it's easily removed/replaced for service. We live in the Northeast so insulation is important. Is Caldera's fibercor much better? marginally better? the same?
-No 24 hr circulation pump - is that good or bad?
-Balboa and Waterway parts - seems like that's good
-ABS pan - the Caldera Paradise does not have one.

I'd really appreciate any knowledgeable input. This industry is hard to compare products!

Sam:
Their insulation system is definitely not going to be as efficient as a full foam or fiber core insulated spa.  Full foam is best.  Even some companies that say they do full foam, do not actually fill the entire cavity under the shell (minus the equipment area).  Looking at you Master Spas.

Steel frame is bs.  It's thin and weak metal that rusts, especially at the point where screws enter. 

I personally like a dedicated circ pump, but by itself it's not a total deal breaker.  Same thing with base pan.  Nice but not the most important feature to worry about. 

Balboa is generally good but has more than it's fair share of problems depending upon which pack and topside they use.  Same with waterway.  I've had some major nightmares with Waterway products. 

More important is the feel of the hot tub for you.  The dealer is very important. Are you confident in their after sale support?  Do they do their own service/deliveries?  Are they there 7 days a week?  Do the people seem knowledgeable?

Generally speaking, Hotspring/Caldera have a better reputation than American Whirlpool, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one. 

Tman122:
Put a treated 2x4 in the swamp and put a sheet metal stud in the swamp, tell me which lasts longer.

Steel studs have been around for years and years. The ONLY advantage they have is fire resistance, (this is why they are used in commercial construction.)They are NOT stronger, they are NOT easier to work with, and they DO NOT last longer.

A lifetime warranty is like 7 years. Fine print.

CanadianSpaTech:
Can't recall ever seeing a metal framed spa rust to the point of collapse or have the bottom fall out when lifting for a move. Have seen PLENTY of rotted wood framed spas have the bottom fall out when lifted or moved. Seeing Stainless Steel framed spas coming out of China in droves right now. They should not rust providing they have enough chromium present in them to act as a protective barrier. Time will tell the tale on them. Usually when a spa rots or galvanized spas rust it's due to customer neglect not fixing leaks in a timely fashion, improper placement of the spa and/or poor manufacturer design that doesn't allow water to escape the floor pan. 

Tman122:

--- Quote from: CanadianSpaTech on September 10, 2021, 11:18:54 pm ---Can't recall ever seeing a metal framed spa rust to the point of collapse or have the bottom fall out when lifting for a move. Have seen PLENTY of rotted wood framed spas have the bottom fall out when lifted or moved. Seeing Stainless Steel framed spas coming out of China in droves right now. They should not rust providing they have enough chromium present in them to act as a protective barrier. Time will tell the tale on them. Usually when a spa rots or galvanized spas rust it's due to customer neglect not fixing leaks in a timely fashion, improper placement of the spa and/or poor manufacturer design that doesn't allow water to escape the floor pan.

--- End quote ---

I've never seen a 30 yo metal framed tub, have you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version