What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ozonator question  (Read 4175 times)

riddler

ozonator question
« on: September 30, 2004, 08:36:16 pm »
Should the ozonator on my new spa be blowing out air in spurts , or should it run nice and smoothe ? It seems like there is air in the line , it has been running for a day now. what should i expect ?

Hot Tub Forum

ozonator question
« on: September 30, 2004, 08:36:16 pm »

rocket

• Life is good!
Re: ozonator question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:50:37 pm »
Spurts are normal.  What brand of hot tub do you have.

riddler

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 10:31:12 am »
I just bought a Caldera spa. I am happy with it , but the sound of the ozonator is a little annoying. Im not sure if its running right , or if its the filter making the noise. It sounds like a coffee pot brewing.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 10:46:19 am »
Yup, thats the ozonator. Just like tubs, not all ozonators are created equal.
Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 10:57:50 am »
Things to try;

Locate your ozone in the equipment compartment, look at the hose going to it and make sure you have no water there. If there is water you will see it dancing a bit.

Next you can sometimes unscrew the connection on the top of the Mazzi injector and clean the spring and ball assembly (I usually just remove the check ball completely on a system with a check valve).

Lastly, this is going to sound strange but I have quieted HotSpring’s in the past by adding enzyme like Spa Perfect or Natural Clear to the filter compartment once a week (try it)!

riddler

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 11:37:21 am »
Ill try that spa perfect and see what happens. I havent seen an ozonator yet that sounds like this one

PPOL

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 03:36:43 pm »
Riddler-

One thing you could check is to see if the loop of the ozonator tubing is above the waterline in your spa.  I have noticed that if the loop is below the waterline you could get spurts or noisy injection.  It should sound like a freshly opened can of fizzy coke, not a coffee maker.

If you need help locating it, send me a message and I can walk you through it.

Which model did you purchase?

Neil O'Donovan
Phoenix Park Outdoor Living
Wilmington, NC

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 06:56:41 am »
stuart

Are you essentially eliminating the check valve by removing the check ball and if so, do you feel you do not need a check valve, especially if you use a hartford loop?  The reason I ask is that I am on my fourth check valve in two years.  My dealer is a little perplexed by this and has certainly provided me with a stash of check valves.  Right now I am trying a Watkins valve which has a slightly different intake size to see if this lasts any longer.  The check valves I use do not have a ball, though, they have some sort of rubber type flap.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 07:06:49 am »
I'm not eliminating the check valve in the loop. I'm eliminating the check "ball" just in the top center nipple of the Mazzi injector. I don't know that I have seen watkins new check valve for their ozone system. I don't really ever have a problem with my inline check valve as I make it a habit to change it every year to 2 years regaurdless of how it looks, their cheaper than Ozonators!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 07:21:54 am »
Thanks for the reply.  I didn't notice a check ball in my mazzei injector.  I will have to "check" that out.  The SD and Watkins check valves are similar except that the SD has a nipple that slides into 1/8" ID tubing on the ozonator side and 1/4" on the mazzei injector side.  The watkins is 1/4" on both sides.  It took a little rigging with tubing to retrofit the watkins, but everything works fine.  Now we'll see how long it lasts.  If I could get a year out of it, I would gladly change it, especially now that I have some extras.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 11:31:02 am »
Thanks for the reply.  I didn't notice a check ball in my mazzei injector.  I will have to "check" that out.  The SD and Watkins check valves are similar except that the SD has a nipple that slides into 1/8" ID tubing on the ozonator side and 1/4" on the mazzei injector side.  The watkins is 1/4" on both sides.  It took a little rigging with tubing to retrofit the watkins, but everything works fine.  Now we'll see how long it lasts.  If I could get a year out of it, I would gladly change it, especially now that I have some extras.

Some Mazzi's are one piece and the nipple in the center of the "T" does not unscrew.

As far as the "Retro" for the check valve, I do it all of the time. Just put a 1-inch piece of 1/8 tubing on the barb and then slip the 1/4 inch over the 1/8 inch.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 07:36:28 pm »
Thats exactly what I didi.  Works great.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 07:36:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42