What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Landscaping  (Read 2546 times)

cparlf

Landscaping
« on: October 02, 2004, 10:38:14 am »
If I can pull myself out of the tub long enough, I would like to plant a few shrubs around the perimeter of the spa.  Thinking of winter, and snow falling, I would like a few where the branches will catch the snow all around as I think it would be a beautiful sight.  Something like hemlock or an Alaskan cedar.  We will certainly go shopping and look around, but to save some time was curious if anyone could offer their experiences with selecting a few specimen varieties.  

Hot Tub Forum

Landscaping
« on: October 02, 2004, 10:38:14 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Landscaping
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 11:24:09 am »
depends where you live....

PPOL

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 01:04:46 pm »
I've heard of stuff called Kudzu is great for a ground covering vine.  Virtually no maintenance too...

;D

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 05:38:29 am »
Yeah, kudzo will work.  ;)  If that is all you want in your yard.  That stuff grows faster than dandelions and crabgrass combined.  Plus it will basically grow on anything.  On top of that it, its almost impossible to eliminate.

r100rs

UnderTheStars

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 05:29:24 pm »
Hi cparlf!  Hemlock & Alaskan Cedar are both beautiful varieties if they will grow in your zone.  My tub is surrounded on two sides by some 30' tall cedars that resemble Hemlocks.  We just added two 6' Alaskan Cedars (had one existing.)  Being the end of season we got a good price on the 6' Cedars from the local nursery (not Lowes, go to a real nursery for these kind of plants.)

You might look into Deodar Cedar - reputed to be one of the most graceful looking when young, nice pyramidal shape, OPEN BRANCHES to catch the snow!   In hemlocks, look into Canadian Hemlock - there are lots of cultivars and they also are very graceful/visually appealing when young.

Stop in your local library and look at some of the "ortho" & "time life" books on trees.  Lots of color photos and you'll be able to view the varieties.  Then call the "real nurseries" and see what they have left.  Finally, plant far enough back from the tub or you'll be picking out the tiny pine needles with every breeze.  Good luck!
Stars

UPDATE:  LOL - My wife just corrected me:  our 30' tall "cedars" are actually Hemlocks. . .so I can tell you with certainty - Alaskan Cedars & Hemlocks look great together!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 05:40:18 pm by UnderTheStars »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 05:29:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42