What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Overthinking First Hot Tub Purchase - Brand Differences  (Read 3691 times)

AnderSuitt

Overthinking First Hot Tub Purchase - Brand Differences
« on: May 31, 2021, 07:56:19 pm »
I have a tendency to overthink everything and agonize over tiny details. At the end of the day, should I assume that most of the "nicer" tub brands are good and that the differences aren't too significant? Every time I think I decide on one, I read some bad reviews and second guess. I know there will be good and bad reviews for everything. None of the dealers around here are currently doing wet tests, but I can sit in them dry.

Here is the info I'm working with. I know we want:
1. 6-7 seats
2. 1 lounger
3. Compatible with hot & VERY humid Louisiana climate where mildew and termites are common
4. Much more interested in quality than bells and whistles
5. Budget: $10-$14k - seems like this might be the sweet spot that most fall in as far as bang for your buck?

Local Dealers:
1. Hot Spring & Viking: In my town, great reviews, I felt good about this dealer
   *Only had one Hot Spring in the showroom and a couple of Vikings.
   *Forgot to write down exact prices as this was the first place we looked and I hadn't done much research but I think the Vikings were in the $6-$8k range and the Hot Spring was more like $10k+
2. Artesian: In my town, terrible reviews
    *Have not visited this dealer
3. Bullfrog: An hour away, great reviews, I felt good about this dealer
   *Appealing due to no wood (does this really make that big of a difference?)
   *A Series 7 seater around $12,200, R Series 7 Seater around $9,800
   *Dry tested an A7 and was very comfortable for me
4. Caldera & Artesian: An hour away, good reviews
    *Have not yet visited this dealer
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:59:43 pm by AnderSuitt »

Hot Tub Forum

Overthinking First Hot Tub Purchase - Brand Differences
« on: May 31, 2021, 07:56:19 pm »

A.O.

Re: Overthinking First Hot Tub Purchase - Brand Differences
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 08:53:12 am »
My thoughts, most of the "good ones" are pretty "good", you will see lots of reviews both ways. Couple things, go bigger rather than smaller, you are there to relax and sprawl out in my opinion not be all cramped up. And If you get a bunch of people in there a large footwell is nice not be banging everyone's feet all the time.
I bought a Cal Spas and could not be happier, its 93" x 93" , no lounger but I do not like a lounger and is one of the reasons we bought this tub.
Make sure you are happy with the dealer you go with, very important down the road if you have problems. Try to make sure they do their own service on their tubs, important to me at least.. not a lot of good repair people out there.
Definitely do a sit in even if you cant do a wet test, make sure the seats fit you well.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 10:53:03 am »
I have a tendency to overthink everything and agonize over tiny details. At the end of the day, should I assume that most of the "nicer" tub brands are good and that the differences aren't too significant? Every time I think I decide on one, I read some bad reviews and second guess. I know there will be good and bad reviews for everything. None of the dealers around here are currently doing wet tests, but I can sit in them dry.

1. 6-7 seats
2. 1 lounger
3. Compatible with hot & VERY humid Louisiana climate where mildew and termites are common
5. Budget: $10-$14k - seems like this might be the sweet spot that most fall in as far as bang for your buck?

Local Dealers:
1. Hot Spring & Viking: In my town, great reviews, I felt good about this dealer
   *Forgot to write down exact prices as this was the first place we looked and I hadn't done much research but I think the Vikings were in the $6-$8k range and the Hot Spring was more like $10k+

1) People are much more apt to give a review when they are unsatisfied than when they are satisfied and got what they'd expected (perfectly understandable),
2) Often the dissatisfaction is less about having a problem and more about frustration that the problem wasn't resolved in a timely/effective manner,
3) Sometimes a glowing review will be made even though there were issues because the customer was happy to see the dealer come through.

If a dealer has multiple negative reviews it can sometimes just be an indication that their follow through on service is lacking rather than the product is more problematic than another dealer in town that has better reviews for a different brand.

If you're in a wet area then a spa with a base pan would be a very good idea and your stated budget should get you to that level. As far as mildew and termites go, if that's really an issue (especially the termites) then certainly a spa that doesn't use a wood frame takes care of that but that'll reduce your options.

Hot Spring, Bullfrog, Caldera and Artesian are all top brands (Viking is not in their category but its common for a dealer to carry a premium brand plus a secondary level brand to cover people with tighter budgets) so no worry there but give serious consideration to how you feel about each dealer's ability/willingness to be there for you after the sale. Also, an hour away isn't ideal but if the local options don't do it for you sometimes you have to go further out but take distance into account.

Finally, wet tests are a good idea and especially so when a lounge is involved (lounges take up about 30% of the space in your spa so) but nowadays wet tests just can't happen in many cases. If you do get a lounge spa make sure you're getting a spa larger than you think you need so you have ample space because not everyone is going to be able to use that lounge well and that might even include you since you won't be wet testing it ahead of time.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 12:40:38 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 12:03:32 pm »
Dealer, dealer, dealer. I can't stress this enough. A good dealer will make your life great, a poor dealer will make your life a living hell.

I bought an Artesian due to a lot of things, but dealer was a top consideration. The Hot Springs dealer blew me off on an appointment, which soured me to no end and made me question was that the support I was going to get, this removed them from consideration. The Vita/Bullfrog/Hydropool dealer salesman didn't know the products, was working from a 2017 product brochure, quoted me the wrong specs on the tub I was most interested in and none of the tubs that fit my requirements were comfortable to dry sit in. The dealer I ultimately bought from was responsive to all my questions, let us sit in many different tubs, set up a wet test of a tub that was really close to the one I bought and no pressure. This dealer is close to 2 hours away from me.

They were also really responsive when I needed a different cover lifter (not their fault, mine for assuming the direction of the cover opening as I have a rectangular tub) had a small problem with pump 2. The tech quickly called me back and instantly diagnosed the problem, which I was able to quickly resolve (it was airbound).

It's only been a week but so far, I am extremely happy with my Artesian and my dealer.

AnderSuitt

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 02:53:09 pm »

1. 6-7 seats
2. 1 lounger

Local Dealers:

1) People are much more apt to give a review when they are unsatisfied than when they are satisfied and got what they'd expected (perfectly understandable),
2) Often the dissatisfaction is less about having a problem and more about frustration that the problem wasn't resolved in a timely/effective manner,
3) Sometimes a glowing review will be made even though there were issues because the customer was happy to see the dealer come through.

If a dealer has multiple negative reviews it can sometimes just be an indication that their follow through on service is lacking rather than the product is more problematic than another dealer in town that has better reviews for a different brand.

If you're in a wet area then a spa with a base pan would be a very good idea and your stated budget should get you to that level. As far as mildew and termites go, if that's really an issue (especially the termites) then certainly a spa that doesn't use a wood frame takes care of that but that'll reduce your options.

Hot Spring, Bullfrog, Caldera and Artesian are all top brands (Viking is not in their category but its common for a dealer to carry a premium brand plus a secondary level brand to cover people with tighter budgets) so no worry there but give serious consideration to how you feel about each dealer's ability/willingness to be there for you after the sale. Also, an hour away isn't ideal but if the local options don't do it for you sometimes you have to go further out but take distance into account.

Finally, wet tests are a good idea and especially so when a lounge is involved (lounges take up about 30% of the space in your spa so) but nowadays wet tests just can't happen in many cases. If you do get a lounge spa make sure you're getting a spa larger than you think you need so you have ample space because not everyone is going to be able to use that lounge well and that might even include you since you won't be wet testing it ahead of time.

Very helpful! Thank you! The Bullfrog dealer is the only one in our state, so even though it's an hour away (New Orleans to Baton Rouge), he acted as if that's a pretty normal distance for them due to them covering a large area. I liked it and found it very comfortable (dry at least). My husband preferred the A series to the R. I kind of prefer the $3,000 in my pocket, but.... I'm thinking it's probably going to be between that and the Hot Spring. I feel like at this point I might as well just flip a coin to avoid overanalyzing every detail. lol

AnderSuitt

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 02:54:50 pm »
Dealer, dealer, dealer. I can't stress this enough. A good dealer will make your life great, a poor dealer will make your life a living hell.

I bought an Artesian due to a lot of things, but dealer was a top consideration. The Hot Springs dealer blew me off on an appointment, which soured me to no end and made me question was that the support I was going to get, this removed them from consideration. The Vita/Bullfrog/Hydropool dealer salesman didn't know the products, was working from a 2017 product brochure, quoted me the wrong specs on the tub I was most interested in and none of the tubs that fit my requirements were comfortable to dry sit in. The dealer I ultimately bought from was responsive to all my questions, let us sit in many different tubs, set up a wet test of a tub that was really close to the one I bought and no pressure. This dealer is close to 2 hours away from me.

They were also really responsive when I needed a different cover lifter (not their fault, mine for assuming the direction of the cover opening as I have a rectangular tub) had a small problem with pump 2. The tech quickly called me back and instantly diagnosed the problem, which I was able to quickly resolve (it was airbound).

It's only been a week but so far, I am extremely happy with my Artesian and my dealer.

Thanks! I feel good about both the Hot Spring and Bullfrog dealers. Both took their time to explain the tubs and features. Both have their own techs with great reviews. Sounds like I may just have to flip a coin. Ha!

LA12189

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 03:11:24 pm »

Thanks! I feel good about both the Hot Spring and Bullfrog dealers. Both took their time to explain the tubs and features. Both have their own techs with great reviews. Sounds like I may just have to flip a coin. Ha!

Hello...we're in Baton Rouge and we just started our journey searching for our perfect Hot Tub. We are a family of three and looking for a 5 people SPA max with maybe a lounger. May I ask you where in Louisiana you found dealers that made you feel the most comfortable? I can't really say that I trust the Facebook reviews 100%. The one that keeps coming back in my searches is the one on Perkins Rd and Seigan Ln in our hometown. Thanks in advance for any advise you may provide!

AnderSuitt

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 07:01:54 pm »

Hello...we're in Baton Rouge and we just started our journey searching for our perfect Hot Tub. We are a family of three and looking for a 5 people SPA max with maybe a lounger. May I ask you where in Louisiana you found dealers that made you feel the most comfortable? I can't really say that I trust the Facebook reviews 100%. The one that keeps coming back in my searches is the one on Perkins Rd and Seigan Ln in our hometown. Thanks in advance for any advise you may provide!

Hi - I've been looking at Hot Spring at Clearwater on Sherwood Forest and Bullfrog at Ducky's in Metairie. Clearwater seems to be getting pretty consistent monthly orders in and Bullfrog said that they are getting monthly allotments, as well.

I did go by Splash on Seigen. They carry the Artisian Elite and South Seas Spas lines. I actually went by there today and they don't have much in stock, but have some coming in within the next several weeks. They felt confident that theirs were the best (like everyone else). I've just read some terrible reviews online that make me hesitate. There is also AMA in Metairie. They carry Caldera and Artisian I believe. I haven't been there or called them to see what their prices/time lines look like.

LA12189

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 07:54:06 am »

Hi - I've been looking at Hot Spring at Clearwater on Sherwood Forest and Bullfrog at Ducky's in Metairie. Clearwater seems to be getting pretty consistent monthly orders in and Bullfrog said that they are getting monthly allotments, as well.

I did go by Splash on Seigen. They carry the Artisian Elite and South Seas Spas lines. I actually went by there today and they don't have much in stock, but have some coming in within the next several weeks. They felt confident that theirs were the best (like everyone else). I've just read some terrible reviews online that make me hesitate. There is also AMA in Metairie. They carry Caldera and Artisian I believe. I haven't been there or called them to see what their prices/time lines look like.

@AnderSuitt, thank you so much for the reply and the leads. I'll be checking the ones you recommended and add them to my list. also looking at a few dealers in Houston as they have a wee bit more choices.

cranbiz

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 08:29:54 am »

If the bad reviews are about the dealer, I would pass on them. While Artesians are great tubs, you don't want a bad dealer. Seems like you have a bunch of good manufacturers available, just pick the tub you are most comfortable in and the dealer that you feel good about.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 08:29:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42