What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time buyer help  (Read 3563 times)

Larzalere

First time buyer help
« on: March 23, 2021, 02:04:41 pm »
Hi All-
I'm working on a hot tub for my wife and I and am finding that just finding anything available has been a challenge!  Instead of shopping for a brand, it seems like we're just trying to find anything that isn't 12-14mos out.  We're in South Jersey - so far I've found a few tubs that fit our general needs:

Nordic Stella SE (available in April) for $5900
Clearwater Evergreen ES76CC signature $8200 (April)
Dreammaker EZL Spa (April) $5900
Springstep Azure $6K (mid April)

We're still getting over our ignorance/sticker shock about hot tubs - we were thinking $3-4k initially, but it seems like getting a decent quality tub is more like 6K+.  Couple of quick questions -

1. Any thoughts on these tubs/prices?
2. Are plug n play tubs inferior in some way if you wire them with 220?
3. I'm 6'2/220lb and my wife is 5'7/125 - one issue we have is that our local showrooms are very limited, and we can't do a test sit in any of these.  I'm concerned about fit/comfort...thoughts?
4.  Any recommendations on the best tub of this size?  We'd love to have good hydrotherapy, and especially if it's equal for both of us (most of these look like one seat is better than the other)...any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.  And if there are any suggestions on who to deal with in the Philly/Jersey/NYC area are also welcome!

Thanks so much for any and all help, and for patience with these newbie questions!

Hot Tub Forum

First time buyer help
« on: March 23, 2021, 02:04:41 pm »

cranbiz

Re: First time buyer help
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 07:59:15 pm »
Out of those 4, I would go with the Nordic or the Clearwater.

Insulation, shell construction and hardware  would be the things that concern me. None of those were on my list but that was due to no dealers in my area. I did research Nordic and Dreammaker. I'm not a fan of the rotomold shell.

Have you and your wife sat in any of those? While a wet test is best, at least sit in one dry to see if it works for you.

I understand wanting it now but there is a reason all the highly recommended manufacturers are out  anywhere from 8 to 24 months and the lesser manufacturers have tubs in stock.

I'm not a pro but a somewhat educated consumer. I'm sure one of the pro's will chime in tomorrow.

Larzalere

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 11:34:11 am »
Thanks for the feedback!  I just got word of a Garden Spa (Artesian) Iris for $4500 that was used for a few months and returned - they're cutting the warranty to 4 months (vs a year), but otherwise sounds good.  It's sold by half price hot tubs in Philadelphia (I guess one of the larger dealers around).  It sounds like something worth going for, but would love any advice or feedback on this tub/price/dealer.  Thanks again!

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 12:43:40 pm »
Artesian make a very good tub. The Garden Spa line is their entry level series. The standard insulation is not quite as good as the South Seas, Island or Artesian Elite series but decent. You still get Balboa controls and Waterways jets, just not as many of them. It has an ABS floor pan. The Iris is a Plug and Play tub and convertible to 220V as well. Full Foam insulation is an option, ask if that one has it.

$4500 is a decent price (MSRP is $5599 and some dealers are selling it for $4999) especially if it has the full form option. Personally,  I would want to see the dealer come up with a better warranty or a better price to compensate for the shortened warranty. If it was only used for a couple of months, why is the warranty short 8 months? Sounds like this tub is actually 8 months old and that's why the warranty is only 4 months. Offer them $4000, worst they can say is no.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:50:53 pm by cranbiz »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 03:34:16 pm »
Artesian make a very good tub. The Garden Spa line is their entry level series. The standard insulation is not quite as good as the South Seas, Island or Artesian Elite series but decent. You still get Balboa controls and Waterways jets, just not as many of them. It has an ABS floor pan. The Iris is a Plug and Play tub and convertible to 220V as well. Full Foam insulation is an option, ask if that one has it.

$4500 is a decent price (MSRP is $5599 and some dealers are selling it for $4999) especially if it has the full form option. Personally,  I would want to see the dealer come up with a better warranty or a better price to compensate for the shortened warranty. If it was only used for a couple of months, why is the warranty short 8 months? Sounds like this tub is actually 8 months old and that's why the warranty is only 4 months. Offer them $4000, worst they can say is no.

New spas come with a Manufacturers Warranty. Without knowing all the details, if it was sold and later returned to the dealer (or sold to another party) that Manufacturer Warranty is gone (it is not transferable) so in cases like this the dealer resells it as technically used (though sometimes not much) and gives it a Store Warranty and 4 months is not atypical (you'd want to know how that compares to the Manufacturer's Warranty in all areas i.e. plumbing, leaks, shell, controls...). In this case the price and warranty are negotiable though they can certainly choose to not budge.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

cranbiz

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 03:44:08 pm »

New spas come with a Manufacturers Warranty. Without knowing all the details, if it was sold and later returned to the dealer (or sold to another party) that Manufacturer Warranty is gone (it is not transferable) so in cases like this the dealer resells it as technically used (though sometimes not much) and gives it a Store Warranty and 4 months is not atypical (you'd want to know how that compares to the Manufacturer's Warranty in all areas i.e. plumbing, leaks, shell, controls...). In this case the price and warranty are negotiable though they can certainly choose to not budge.

Good point.

Although for only $900 less than MSRP for a used tub (slightly or not, it's used), I would hope to get a better warranty. If not a better warranty, a better price. However, these are unique times in the hot tub industry and tubs from any dealer can demand a premium for almost immediate delivery.

Larzalere

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 10:58:11 am »
Hi All - thanks so much for your feedback.  We decided to pass on that used tub because the price was firm, and we agree that a 4 mo warranty is a bit short.  In any case, we now have a possible Retreat SE (Nordic) for $6499 with accessories and delivery which would be available in June, so we put a deposit on it and will continue to shop, but that seems like a reasonable deal and tub for us.  Anyone have experience with that one?  Thanks again and appreciate your patience with a new buyer!

cranbiz

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 01:58:45 pm »
That's a good entry level tub and you should be happy with it. Does that one have the extra insulation?

The price is fair too.

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 03:29:02 pm »
To touch on a thing you mentioned in your first post - I do not see how you're going to be comfortable in any of these spas based on your size.  "Feel" is certainly a personal opinion but any time I have a client that is of your height/build, they rarely end up purchasing a tub on the smaller scale of the spectrum, such as the approximate size of the Nordic Retreat you mentioned.  To confirm - I am not at all passing judgement on the quality or performance of that spa or any of the spas you mentioned.  Just letting you know that these are rather small tubs for you, in my opinion. 

It is hard right now getting into showrooms and seeing products.  So I understand you are limited in your abilities to "see" and "feel" the product.  But I would be remiss if I at least didn't mention the above point to you. 

Personally - I would adjust your size range on the spa to something more like 7'.  Just a thought based on experience.  I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

EDIT: Spelling

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 03:29:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42