What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Swim spa temperature question  (Read 2037 times)

brownnugen

Swim spa temperature question
« on: March 13, 2021, 10:18:02 pm »
I haven't made any purchases yet but I've been thinking about a dual zone swim spa that has physical separation from swim area and spa area because people said you can't swim long in hot tub temps and you can't soak long in swimming temperatures.  If we decide to go for a swim spa that didn't have the physical barrier (due to cost or space), what would would the ideal compromise in water temperature be? 

I will be the primary user, swimming 3-4 times a week for about an hour each session.  My wife my hop in to cool off and relax for about 15-20 minutes each time, maybe a few times a week. I predict the hot tub/spa part being used only very occasionally. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 10:31:52 pm by brownnugen »

Hot Tub Forum

Swim spa temperature question
« on: March 13, 2021, 10:18:02 pm »

Red MC

Re: Swim spa temperature question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 11:44:22 am »
Unfortunately, there is no good compromise.

Last year, my wife and I agonized over XL hot tub vs. small exercise pool/spa vs. real swim spa.  We did not have room on our patio for a dual zone swim spa + hot tub.  We are long time hot tub owners and enjoy soaking, so we quickly ruled out a "real" swim spa for actual swimming because that would have taken all our space.  So we looked at 12-14ft swim spas that were not really swimmable but had resistance jets, exercise attachments, 4ft or greater depth, and hot tub style seating. 

Temperature was the reason we didn't get one.  Unlike most hot tub owners, we do not like ours hot.  We keep it at a temperature that is comfortable to soak in for an hour or more.  That ranges from 95F when outside temps are >90F in the middle of summer, up to 100F when temps are <20F in the winter.  The problem is that these temps are way too high for exercise.  For light exercise, I'd want <85F in the summer and <90F in the winter.  For vigorous exercise, drop it another 5 deg.  Splitting the difference means high 80s in the summer and low 90s in the winter, which is going to detract a lot from the enjoyment of both activities.

The only way I can see it working is if you vary your usage seasonally, i.e. use it as a swim spa or exercise pool in the summer and use it as a hot tub in the winter.

vippoolsandspas

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 08:22:11 pm »
Body Temperature is the best for that. Around 95-98.  Check your temp and keep it at that.  Your wife might have a different body temp.  Just go in the middle for your set temp.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 09:51:55 am »
Just another thing to think about, you may be able to get away with a swim spa and a separate hot tub for about the same price or cheaper than a large dual zone swim spa. You could then keep the swim spa closer to the 80-85 degrees that is recommended for exercising. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 09:51:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42