What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Pump Issue  (Read 1984 times)

melon2112

Hot Tub Pump Issue
« on: February 11, 2021, 12:01:15 pm »
So I am having an issue with my hot tub pump.  I actually have two separate pumps.  There is a circulating pump which is running fine.  I also have a 4hp Massage Master XLT pump that I am having an issue with.  It is a beachcomber tub.

When I try to activate the pump, it starts for a second or two (sometimes even a minute or two) and then shuts off.  I thought it was the start/run capacitor and changed it but still the same thing.  If I actually power cycle the tub it will stay on for a couple minutes. 

So I know voltages while the pump is working is steady.  I know the shaft/impeller are free.  I know it is not overheating.  I am pretty sure it is not the winding as it does work.  Does anyone have a suggestion of what to check?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Pump Issue
« on: February 11, 2021, 12:01:15 pm »

melon2112

Re: Hot Tub Pump Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 09:15:05 am »
So I was hoping for some advice but I guess no one is aware or have had similar issues.

I am not sure, but now I am thinking maybe one of the 2 knife valves connecting the pump may be stuck closed even though the plunger is up...it might explain it...any way to tell without removing pump?

If I do have to remove pump, any easy way to stop the water gushing out if the gate is stuck and I pry open?

It is so cold out right now, I need to minimize how much water I take on :)

melon2112

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 09:32:55 am »
I posted on another board...

Right now it is so cold out I cannot play.

My plan (as suggested when it is slightly warmer out):

1) Test pump with voltmeter...240V between L1 and L2
- should be that way with or without pump running at all times if pump is bad
- if not, it is from the circuit board (most likely relay)
2) Test with ammeter while pump is running and make sure it matches specs on motor (I'm guessing while running...but will check both)
3) Try and find the centrifugal switch at back of motor and take pic if I cannot tell
4) Lastly someone has suggested to me perhaps one of the knife joints are stuck in the closed in the position event though the plunger is up...hopefully that is not the case as I do not want to have to empty the tub in the winter if possible.

As for how I know it is not overheating, it conks out sometimes within seconds after not being on for hours.

As for steady voltage, I have only tested when it was on (not off) and read 240V constant.

Again thank you for the advice...if I am missing something please let me know.

I miss my tub :(

A Rai

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 03:11:39 pm »
Given the temperature outside, I think the best thing to do is just wait for warmer weather and then tackle it. Unless you can get the gate valve closed, I don't see any other way you can take it apart without getting soaked.

Only reason I am saying this is because I was debating filling my tub today, but I held off. I noticed there was a gate valve

Crunchie

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 11:28:16 am »
melon2112:  I also have a 4hp Massage Master XLT pump that I am having an issue with.
You say it runs sometimes for a couple of minutes, are you getting any flow out the jets for the massage?  You never said whether or not you're getting a flow?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 11:28:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42