What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub Shell question  (Read 1757 times)

justinhw

Hot tub Shell question
« on: February 05, 2021, 10:14:47 am »
New user, not having great luck at searching-

Looking at a dimension 1 journey vs jacuzzi j210

We have an older del sol redondo - with a rotomold shell - 17 years old, still going strong, no cracks/leaks. I know rotomold is the low end and kind of rough but the durability is great. We are keeping it for our guest house and getting a new one for the main.

Want to know what is the most durable shell - the ultralife with D1 vs D1's acrylic vs jacuzzi's acrylic.

I couldn't even figure out what ultralife IS - on the site someone mentioned it is a thermoplastic from aristech or lucite - however I can't find any more info.

is the acrylic from D1 abs backed or fiberglass backed? for jacuzzi? or are they the same since made in the same location?

I really want the most durable shell that will last as long as possible - I have done motor/plumbing repairs on our old spa over time so not as concerned about that aspect of things - and the spas are overall very simple with few jets.

Sorry for the long post - appreciate any input. Cost is pretty similar between all options

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub Shell question
« on: February 05, 2021, 10:14:47 am »

BullFrogSpasMN

Re: Hot tub Shell question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 12:24:27 pm »
they're all pretty durable now days, any large spa manufacturer will provide a spa and shell that if taken care of will EASILY last 15+ years especially all the recognizable brands (Bullfrog, Hot Spring, Marquis, Sundance/Jacuzzi/D1, Artesian, etc. Good Luck!

Sam

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 12:44:40 pm »
Agreed, I wouldn't let shell construction be a determining factor as long as you are looking at a reputable brand.  Shell failures are probably the rarest type of issue.  I know hot tub university makes a big deal of it, but after 25 years in the industry working with 9 different manufacturers, I rarely see a shell failure.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 02:52:22 pm »
30 years and I have never seen a shell failure. I've seen some delamination on some 20 year old tubs but never a catastrophic failure from a shell.
Retired

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 08:44:13 am »
Not a fan of the "ultralife" thermoplastic. Have had 2 swim spas with cracking that starts on the outside edge/lip and migrates over the edge of the spa until it gets to say a speaker or the topside or a diverter and stops. Also have had 2 D1 tubs (older) with bubbling in the seat pockets. Cold Canadian weather getting at the uninsulated lip that the cover only has the vinyl side material covering it is my guess. I will take acrylic over plastic any day. Yes I have seen issues with acrylic as well but to me the d1's just seem softer and they have a texture to them that I have seen difficult to clean above water line. JMO   

justinhw

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 12:15:45 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know if the thermoplastic is similar to the plastic used in rotomold?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 12:15:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42