What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another question about buying and which model  (Read 3239 times)

cranbiz

Another question about buying and which model
« on: February 01, 2021, 09:37:48 am »
I know this gets asked all the time but in lurking here I haven't seen comparisons or feedback on everything I have been looking at.

I owned a tub many years ago and made the mistake of buying from a show, a Leisure Bay. 110V 4 person and while it held up for as long as I owned that house, it was poorly insulated and lacking in a bunch of stuff. had an issue with a couple of fittings that I was able to fix but I certainly wouldn't recommend one now. Left it for the new homeowners.

So, now I'm in a place where I can get another tub and I'm not expecting to move within the rest of my lifetime. I'm putting it in an enclosed porch with an existing concrete floor but I do have a space limitation for getting it into place, which has limited my choices. I can not go any larger than 79 5/8" on one dimension and get it thru the opening, therefore the tubs I have chosen, really want a 4-5 person tub.

What I have narrowed it down to are these:

Vita Voeux, $7500, Close to $8500 with delivery and the accessories. This could be had by July unless we want another color (which we would rather have), then early 2022.
PDC Catalina, $9300 once you add in the extras. Delivery could be early as August.
PDC Biscayne $10,200 once you add in the extras. Delivery in December.
Island Nevis, $8900 complete, including delivery, setup, stairs, my choice of cover lifter and handrail. Delivery mid March/early April.

I really didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from the salesman on the Vita, he was working off a 2017 brochure and was telling me that the Vita he was pushing had more features than the 2020 datasheet said, we would not be able to wet test one but could wet test a Mystique. He was also pushier than I liked.

The PDC dealer had no tubs on display and the girl worked extensively off a in house book. A Catalina was in the pipeline, unsold and in the color we wanted. However a wet test couldn't happen on any model because they had none.

The Artesian/Marquis dealer had a lot of tubs, including a Nevis. He simply showed us what he had and explained the features. He had no issues answering any and all questions, popped side covers for us to examine the insides. He didn't knock any of the brands on my list but did say that he wouldn't recommend the Master. They used to carry them and had too many issues with them over the Artesian or Marquis. We were able to wet test the Nevis and it appears to hit all my check boxes and both my wife and myself were very comfortable in all seating positions.

I have put a refundable deposit on the Nevis but if I'm making a mistake, I can cancel that for one of the other tubs.

Are these all about equal in quality? I really don't know anything about the Vita, I know something about the PDC's and the Artesian's. Are the prices about right?

Hot Tub Forum

Another question about buying and which model
« on: February 01, 2021, 09:37:48 am »

cranbiz

Re: Another question about buying and which model
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 08:59:49 am »
Anyone?

I believe that I made the right decision based on a lot of the comments found here and based on the one tub we were able to wet test but .......

A.O.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 09:07:34 am »
Sorry, not familiar with those tubs... not a fan of Artesians however..

Sam

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 01:44:13 pm »
The Nevis would definitely be my choice of the ones listed.  It's a great little hot tub.  The poster above me has one anecdotal bad experience but overall, Artesian is considered one of the best manufacturers in our industry.  They are definitely in my top 5.

PDC and Vita are not nearly as well insulated as the Artesian if you live in a cold climate.  The Vita should have decent performance though.

cranbiz

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 03:12:09 pm »
Good info, Sam.

I live in more or less central NC, near the VA border. It's not months of New England cold but it does get cold in the winter. The tub will be on an unheated, enclosed porch so insulation does have some importance.

I know A.O. had a bunch of issues with an Artesian, I don't blame him for being sour on them. I just had a bad experience with a new LG refrigerator and therefore wouldn't recommend them to anyone although I know people who have had good luck with them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 03:14:02 pm by cranbiz »

A.O.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 09:46:53 am »
YES, All I can go by is the experience that I had.. which was not a good one..

And talking fridges... stay away from Samsung!! I bought a full set of appliances from them and I'd not recommend any one of them!! I do like thier TV though!

cranbiz

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 10:26:37 am »
Actually, I did buy a Samsung. I already had a Samsung microwave and dishwasher and both are working well.

Returned the LG 3 days after bringing it home after the Authorized Service Center kept jerking me around. LG's customer support actually recommended that I return it after my 4th call about the problems I was having with A&E, their service provider. Unfortunately for LG, there wasn't another one of that model withing 500 miles of me.

A.O.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 11:11:53 am »
And I had great luck with LG's washer and drier I had.. you just never know, just like with Hot Tubs!

Sam

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 12:17:10 pm »

I totally understand but they sell 20k spas a year and the vast majority are problem free. 

I think we would all agree that Toyota generally makes some of the most reliable cars in the world.  Well, I had a highlander that just had problem after problem.  It was ridiculous.  But that was my individual experience and not indicative of overall poor quality.  I would still buy another Toyota.

A.O.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 07:25:38 pm »

I totally understand but they sell 20k spas a year and the vast majority are problem free. 

I think we would all agree that Toyota generally makes some of the most reliable cars in the world.  Well, I had a highlander that just had problem after problem.  It was ridiculous.  But that was my individual experience and not indicative of overall poor quality.  I would still buy another Toyota.

The last toyota I had the frame rusted through at 80k and broke in half.. I'll not buy another toyota!

Sam

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 05:32:39 pm »
Yet they are widely considered to be among the most reliable vehicles on the market.  Thus my point.

A.O.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 08:27:33 pm »
Then you buy one.. I'll buy American...

And heck, I used to sell them.

terps19

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 05:24:32 pm »

And talking fridges... stay away from Samsung!! I bought a full set of appliances from them and I'd not recommend any one of them!! I do like thier TV though!

Agreed Samsung Fridge suuuuuuck.  Dope TVs though. 

A.O.

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 10:28:08 pm »

Agreed Samsung Fridge suuuuuuck.  Dope TVs though.

Yep to both!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 10:28:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42