What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bumper Seal on Covers  (Read 4676 times)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Bumper Seal on Covers
« on: September 23, 2004, 10:35:13 am »
Question for all you spa owners and dealers.

Hot tub covers seem to vary greatly in quality and construction. Some have a full length "bumper seal" a piece of foam that runs the length of the cover where it folds. Some are designed with this seal only at the ends. I have seen some covers that do not seem to do anything in this area. How important do you feel it is to insulate the seam where the cover folds? Why do some insulate the full seam while others only cover the ends?

Your thoughts?

HTMan
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 10:35:59 am by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

Bumper Seal on Covers
« on: September 23, 2004, 10:35:13 am »

zzaphod42

Re: Bumper Seal on Covers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 11:53:59 am »
I'm not sure that I can answer honestly since I have been brainwashed by Keith and the cult of beachcomber ;D (Sorry - couldn't resist)

I have used the snow on cover analogy with the melting along the seam many times. When I tell the story to previous hot tub owners, they tell me that they know exactly what I am talking about.

If the two sides do touch when the cover is closed, I doubt it will make THAT mcuh of a difference.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 12:29:04 pm »
My cover has the seam insulators only at the ends.  I assume this design is to keep the seam sealed from air intrusion only.  I would think that the added insulation down the whole length of the seam would be a good thing and not greatly add to the cost of production.  I can't see a real negative not to have it the full length.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 03:15:08 pm »
Actually it adds considerably to the manufacturing costs. However, on an 8' cover this gap can be as much as 96 square inches. That's almost as large as a 10" square. That's a pretty big hole in something that's SUPPOSE to be insulating hot water.

*not spell checking, overworked and in a cynical mood today*
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 03:21:25 pm »
My old hot tub didn't have the insulation across the length of the cover and what I found was this:  After an ice storm, I went out to knock the ice off of my cover.  I noticed that there was ice on every part of the cover except at the fold.  Not only was there no ice but it was totally dry.  What this told me was that there is an enormous amount of heat escaping at the fold.  The insulation across the fold of the cover is well worth it in order to pay less for energy.

Oskar

• 2003 Marquis Reward
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 05:57:23 pm »
 :DGuess I should feel lucky as I have a Marquis and it does have a seal the whole width of the cover.

Jordy

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 12:53:04 am »
The materials being used by manufacturers nowadays vs. several years ago are much better in every respect and in my opinion an extra peice running the length of the seam shouldn't make a big difference. On the other hand, I don't suppose it would hurt either. Another part of the cover to inspect closely is how effectively the cover seals where the seam meets the the edge of the hot tub, as this is where a lot of heat can escape if it is a poor design.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 01:33:55 am »
The materials being used by manufacturers nowadays vs. several years ago are much better in every respect and in my opinion  

In what way? Please elaborate?

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 10:18:34 am »
I am surpirised that a lot of the regulars did not chime in on this one. Chas, Brewman, Ebbriane, Chris H, Stuart did not chime in. Is this because your tubs do not have bumper seals?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 11:29:56 am by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 10:59:12 pm »
Actually it adds considerably to the manufacturing costs. However, on an 8' cover this gap can be as much as 96 square inches. That's almost as large as a 10" square. That's a pretty big hole in something that's SUPPOSE to be insulating hot water.

*not spell checking, overworked and in a cynical mood today*

Doc, You’re just cranky! I think you should maybe start a few more web sites, get ready for another show and maybe start manufacturing your own line of chemicals. You just aren't busy enough.:P

I agree though, few people understand little things on a spa like the Lineal heat seal (I hate terms like "bumper seal" or "insulation flap" GET FULL CREDIT!). Marquis is a fine example of those little things, many sales people say "hey, we don't waste money on things like pillows" yet they don't explain lineal heat seal, a diamond honed lip or how about splash guard coping? All of these things only cost a little more yet can add a lot to the cost of manufacturing.

If you want to know the effectiveness of this "bumper seal" go into any showroom that has both and just feel the difference in the heat along the center of the cover with and without it.

Hey Hotubman, nice bait job! ;) ;D

« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 11:06:38 pm by stuart »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 08:36:27 am »
I am surpirised that a lot of the regulars did not chime in on this one. Chas, Brewman, Ebbriane, Chris H, Stuart did not chime in. Is this because your tubs do not have bumper seals?

I have the cover that Sundance supplied for our spa.  I don't think it has this bumper seal you refer to.  The two pieces of the cover fit pretty snug when the cover is over the spa.  I'm not convinced that we have any significant heat loss there, but I guess I'd need an infared camera to prove it.  
Actually, that's an interesting idea- Take a series of infared photos of our tub to see where any heat is leaking.  I suppose that would cost more than the leaking heat, though.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 08:36:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42