What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Automatic water monitoring (eg: pHin, Sutro)?  (Read 3363 times)

CV3720

Automatic water monitoring (eg: pHin, Sutro)?
« on: November 08, 2020, 04:46:20 pm »
Anyone here ever use any of the water monitors which are on the market?

Hot Tub Forum

Automatic water monitoring (eg: pHin, Sutro)?
« on: November 08, 2020, 04:46:20 pm »

CV3720

Re: Automatic water monitoring (eg: pHin, Sutro)?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 02:14:53 pm »
(After a month) - I guess that's a "no"? !

Ok, barring that - any favored testing kits you guys can recommend?

THANKS

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 05:44:06 pm »
I read your post originally and I had never tried one out.

The first 6 months of owning a tub I would have bought one as I was going crazy with water monitoring. & year later I hardly do anything but my normal stuff and I test with a 6 in 1 strip about once a week and tweak if needed.

I just do the basics now and has been working fine.

CV3720

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 10:21:33 am »
Thanks, I'll pick up some of those test strips (AquaChek, correct?)

Our tub (PDC) was delivered a few weeks ago, but has not yet been filled (vacation home - WV mountains), but will upon our arrival in just over a week. It's a local vacation rental/realty management place that we went through, and they're going to check/adjust it weekly. At this point, we're only going to be using it for a week or so every couple of months - but it will be comforting to have some way to test it on our own, in order to make sure things are basically OK. The fellow up there mentioned something about a floating tablet container (not even sure if it's bromine or chlorine).

bud16415

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 01:50:28 pm »

Our tub (PDC) was delivered a few weeks ago, but has not yet been filled (vacation home - WV mountains), but will upon our arrival in just over a week. It's a local vacation rental/realty management place that we went through, and they're going to check/adjust it weekly. At this point, we're only going to be using it for a week or so every couple of months - but it will be comforting to have some way to test it on our own, in order to make sure things are basically OK. The fellow up there mentioned something about a floating tablet container (not even sure if it's bromine or chlorine).

Most likely a floating container system would be bromine, but there is one product out called @ease that is a chlorine product. If it were mine I would suggest not going with bromine.

Being away from the tub and only having someone look in on it once a week is a different situation than most of us have where our tub gets used daily and tested as often as needed.

If I were doing what you are I would convert the tub to a salt based chlorine generation tub with a product called a Saltron-Mini. You can search on it and there are videos showing how simple it is to setup and run. There are tubs that come with an internal salt gen system they are on pretty much upper tier tubs and expensive to maintain. This is a little device you plug into an outside 120v GFCI and it has a cord with a little anode you place in the tub when gone. About once a month when you are there you can soak it in a cup of vinegar to clean it. You add salt to the water when you fill the tub about the same concentration as in a human tear. Then the unit slowly converts the salt to chlorine and after the chlorine kills the bad stuff in the tub it turns back to salt.

You would need to keep on hand some non chlorine shock and some PH up and PH down and some dichlor to use after heavy bather loads when you are there.

It is a system I would trust for long periods of time being away from the tub.

Yes there are a bunch of 6in1 strips. I buy them on line they are all about the same.

CV3720

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 03:40:25 pm »

Most likely a floating container system would be bromine, but there is one product out called @ease that is a chlorine product. If it were mine I would suggest not going with bromine.

Being away from the tub and only having someone look in on it once a week is a different situation than most of us have where our tub gets used daily and tested as often as needed.

If I were doing what you are I would convert the tub to a salt based chlorine generation tub with a product called a Saltron-Mini. You can search on it and there are videos showing how simple it is to setup and run. There are tubs that come with an internal salt gen system they are on pretty much upper tier tubs and expensive to maintain. This is a little device you plug into an outside 120v GFCI and it has a cord with a little anode you place in the tub when gone. About once a month when you are there you can soak it in a cup of vinegar to clean it. You add salt to the water when you fill the tub about the same concentration as in a human tear. Then the unit slowly converts the salt to chlorine and after the chlorine kills the bad stuff in the tub it turns back to salt.

You would need to keep on hand some non chlorine shock and some PH up and PH down and some dichlor to use after heavy bather loads when you are there.

It is a system I would trust for long periods of time being away from the tub.

Yes there are a bunch of 6in1 strips. I buy them on line they are all about the same.

Great to know - thanks for the info/tips !!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 03:40:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42