What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Installation  (Read 2570 times)

gupper12

Hot Tub Installation
« on: September 28, 2004, 04:26:10 pm »
I am considering purchase of a Tiger River Siberian, they stipulate a minimum 4" concrete pad- any opinions on setting this tub on Paving stones with a 6" base of 3/4" compacted stone?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Installation
« on: September 28, 2004, 04:26:10 pm »

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Re: Hot Tub Installation
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 05:42:06 pm »
I installed my HS Vista on a paver patio yesterday.  Mine had minimum of 8" of super-compacted QP, plus 1" sand, then sand in the joints.

Solid as a rock, no problems driving a truck on it at all.  The pavers I used are rated for 8000/PSI.  If they are installed by someone who really knows what they are doing, you should have no problems.

Pics of my project:

[link]http://www.pbase.com/jlefcourt/backyard_project[/link]

I will have more pics once I get the tub electric hooked up tomorrow, Sept 29.  

Jonathan

gupper12

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 06:37:58 pm »
Thanks !  I figured Pavers  would work fine with proper sub-base + Leveling . What type of stone Is "QP". Here in PA  I was thinking of "2A - Modified " - a 3/4" unscreened Stone- looks like your picture. Pics are great  - that is exactly what I am considering in that I'll situate Spa adjacent to Deck. Deck floor is about 4' above ground level.I am unsure as to how far above deck level I want Tub-want to enter from deck. Thinking like 12" , wife says 6. How will your tub sit in relation to deck?  Can you send pics showing that ?

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 07:18:46 pm »
QP is quarry process, basically 1 1/2" crushed stone  with lots of stone dust.  Very compactable, very hard when done.  The key is the dust, which really isn't light like dust, but acts as a filler between all of the crushed stone.  When compacted the surface is basically pretty smooth.  The main watch out item is making sure it is level.  My guy used a transit which I think is very necessary if you want it to be level.  Also make sure you buy high quality pavers, some of them are just junk and will fail over time.  Penny wise.... and paver foolish!

My cedar deck surface is 24" high off the patio, leaving me with 18" of exposed tub, tub is 38" high.  Very easy to get in and out of.  I think if you go too low it will be uncomfortable to get in or out.  It is about 2 1/2 inches away from the deck, I am hooping that most of the spill over will not go on the deck.  Winter+water+wood decking=ice skating.  Have to figure out what to do for this, any ideas?

I am waiting for the rain to stop so I can take pics of the tub and all of the great planting we put in.  Hope to update tomorrow.

Jonathan
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 07:22:45 pm by newtotubbing »

pafoster62

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 08:20:39 pm »
 :) your backyard is just beautiful!!! great job ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 08:20:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42