What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: bringing up the PH  (Read 4189 times)

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
bringing up the PH
« on: September 22, 2004, 08:27:41 pm »
Quick question :-/.... everything is working well with the other chemicals but how do i get the PH up to 7.2 without affecting the Alkalinity. What happens is when i put in the spar up it increases the alkalinity180 but the PH stays low 6.2. any suggestions? ???

Hot Tub Forum

bringing up the PH
« on: September 22, 2004, 08:27:41 pm »

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
Re: bringing up the PH
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 10:22:26 pm »
You can buy pH increaser, I dont have bottle handy to tell you its chem name, but someone here will know it. It says right on bottle "pH Increaser"

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 10:57:58 pm »
Sodium carbonate will increase pH without affecting TA.  Your pH is extremely low--I suggest targeting 7.5 instead of 7.2 as the latter is the lowest end of the generally accepted safe pH scale.  If you keep it at 6.2, you risk the acidity eating away your pump/jet metallic parts so please adjust it soon.  Remember to take it in steps and give plenty of time between adjustments.  Also, if you haven't gotten a test kit, I highly recommend the Taylor Test Kit and the booklet that comes with it--the best I've seen.  Good luck and hope this helps.....
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

stingfan

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 11:20:46 am »
Here's what I"ve learned over the last couple of monthat that I've owned my tub:

When I am first filling my tub, I find that getting the alkalinity correct is easier to do.  It takes pH a while to stabilize so the readings are not accurate.  When I first fill my tub using well water, the pH is 6.2 but over time, with movement and aeration,  it rises to 8.3 (12 hrs). So, I initially check my alkalinity, which is about 230, lower the alkalinity according to directions and do not bother to check the pH.  The next day my pH is about 7.2.  Get the alkalinity right and the pH should eventually stabilize, it just takes a long time and lots of aeration for that pH to stabilize   ALso, the strips are not very accurate and I would recommend a Taylor test kit.

If you are checking your pH frequently you will see that it  fluctuates, especially after using the hot tub. Checking it and then trying to adjust it will cause you alot more fluctuation....you may see it too low, add pH increaser which will cause your alkalinity to go up, then later find your pH is too high. A vicious cycle.  As I said, I like to go with the alkalinity reading when first setting up the tub.  And after initial set up, I only check the alkalinity and pH in the mornings after the tub has been unused for many hours and run through a couple of filter cycles. I do this once a week instead of worrying about it daily.
:)

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 01:44:30 pm »
PH is up thanks for the help :) Anyone know where i could pick up a Taylor test kit or know a good site on line??

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 02:07:34 pm »
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 02:07:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42