What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Been a while ...  (Read 2353 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Been a while ...
« on: July 25, 2020, 02:09:46 pm »
Hey all,

It's been a long time since posting. I stopped using my tub about 5-7 years ago, It had a leak which I repaired, had it running for nothing and decided to drain it to keep it from costing me $$$. It is a 2005 Artesian Island Grand Cayman, 3 pump model with circ pump. I didn't get rid of it because there would be a hole in the deck where it's sunk into.  ;D Note to self - never do anything like that again!!

I went to start it up again and it basically sat there and did nothing! It did give me 3 dots on the bottom which seems like it's an indication of a power fail. It uses a controller that has not been made for quite a while but I decided to try and troubleshoot it.

What I found is one of the 480V 25 amp fuses blew, so I purchased a couple hoping it was "just a fuse" but upon turning the GFCI on I heard a humming which eventually took out the fuse again. I dug a little deeper into it - unplugged all the pumps, put a new fuse in and proceeded to test the controller. It seems that I have voltage going to all the pumps (220V), on 2 of the 3 pumps it turns on/off but on pump one I hear the clicking of the relay but it stays at 220V ... relay seems to be stuck on (?). Is this something that anyone has seen? I then plugged the pumps in one by one (removing the previous pump) to see where the problem of blowing the fuse may be, all the pumps except one seem to be working. At first I thought my circ pump was bad but I seen to have water above the heater where I didn't before but I don't see bubbles coming out of the circ pump port. When I got to pump 1 it hummed and blew the fuse - that's where the fuse problem is.

My questions are - is it possible that the relay for pump 1 is stuck on? With a 15 YO tub is it possible to still get the pump? I looked online and the part doesn't seem to be coming up. A replacement pump part perhaps? Have the pump rebuilt professionally?

In case anyone wants to know, I repair medical equipment for a living so I have working knowledge of electrical/electronics components. I have only seen a relay stuck on once, usually they are burnt or corroded where they engage and the contacts don't do anything.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Vinny

Hot Tub Forum

Been a while ...
« on: July 25, 2020, 02:09:46 pm »

CanadianSpaTech

Re: Been a while ...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 06:38:33 pm »
Pump is likely seized. On the back side of the pump dead center there is a dust cap. Remove the cap and you will see the shaft of the motor with a slot in it. Place a flat head screwdriver in the slot and see if it turns. Tubs is not that old really and parts should still be available. Post some photos.
3 dots is a flow error. Dirty filters (remove until issue is fixed) bad pressure switch, Pump related to heating and filtering not working or has an air lock in the wet end

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 07:49:11 pm »
Thanks for answering! I forgot about the slot and yep it's seized!

For some reason I can't attach photos on the forum, maybe because I've been inactive a while but the label on the pump says Ultrajet by Vico with a model # 5KCR48UN2388X. It's a pretty large pump - 6 BHP, 56 frame, 1 speed. Did some looking around and clicked on a place that said a different pump was a direct replacement but it was 2 speed. Another place didn't cross reference the pump but said there were instructions to make it one speed using the high speed - never put different motors (2 speed vs 1 speed) in before so no clue.

Any places to stay away from when ordering parts?

I should ask - what do you think about the controller not turning off the pump 1 (same pump with the problem), without anything attached to it it is giving 220V all the time. relay is clicking but voltage stays.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:52:56 pm by Vinny »

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 09:06:42 am »
No problem hooking up a 2 speed as a one speed. A 2 speed will have 4 wires and a single speed will have 3. Just hook it up to the high speed connection in the pump and leave the low speed connection open. There may be a dip switch/jumper option to have that pump as a 2 speed. You would need a 2 speed (4) wire plug or wire it with spade connectors directly to the board and eliminate the plug.

As for it running or constant power off the board perhaps it thinks it is in a filter or heat cycle or even a ice/cold freeze prevent mode.

https://www.spapumpsandmore.com/PUUMS602582F_p/puums602582f.htm

Really need to know what pack mfg you have in it to offer more advice.

Local pump repair should be able to easily fix the seized pump. It would likely only need a new impeller, seal and front bearing. Not a hugely difficult DIY job with a bit of mechanical ability. Lots of YouTube vids (google Spaguy) Under $100 in parts.

Don't try and match BHP or HP ratings they are all a lie. Match up the AMP Rating of the pump. 10 AMP 3 hp, 12 amp 4, hp 16 amp 5 hp.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 07:32:51 pm »
Thanks again!

The controller is a Spa Builders model SC-MP-P212-B2-01-CP2 with options NE-LS-FB1-HR-JJM-MA8.

Thanks about the info on the pump It's a 230 V 12 A per the label. I saw the pump you referred me to yesterday after doing some more research after posting here. Wasn't sure if it was a good company to deal with. I had dealt with Spa Depot in the past and they had this pump which seems like it's an equivalent part: https://www.spadepot.com/4-HP-HydroMaster-Hot-Tub-Spa-Pump-56Fr-240V-P3012.

I replaced the seal on this pump back in 2011 and I looked back on that thread and it gave me some difficulties but finally got it all together. I think this time I'll spring for a new pump as popping a pump in and out may be quicker (hopefully) to do then to waste hours trying to rebuild the pump since I don't do it all the time; it took me quite a while before if I remember correctly after reading that thread. I'm also thinking paying a repair service to fix the pump may come close to what that new pump is going to be. I also have pump 2 making a lot of bearing noise so that may also be a candidate for replacement as well. I originally thought I would have to spring for a repair tech thinking it may be the control board and based on what I remember Gecko hasn't made this controller for years.

I really do appreciate your help!

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 06:38:58 am »
The pump you posted may work or may not. The wet end offsets will be a little different and if you don't have any play in your plumbing you might be in for a hard time. The company I posted the link for I have no idea if they are good, bad or otherwise but I would call them direct and make sure they have it in stock and get a feel for how they are to deal with and also warranty return if needed. Up here in Canada a lot of common parts are getting scarce due to the current conditions so always make sure to call them directly and make sure you don't get put on back order.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 06:49:58 am »
CanadianSpa Tech,

Thank you for all the information you have given me!

Yes, my plumbing is kind of static and doesn't have any play, I was looking for a drop in pump and I think I saw that the pump you posted was a direct replacement; of course not having the knowledge I really don't know. I'll give them a call and see about the pump ... wasn't thinking about the availability, everything it seems is flying off the shelves. I decided that I am going to try putting pump 2 in place of pump 1 (they are the same pump) to see if the pump eventually shuts off or stays on - best way to see what happens.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Vinny

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 06:49:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42