What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Elec. conduit in slab or over slab??  (Read 15461 times)

cmitch9999

Elec. conduit in slab or over slab??
« on: September 24, 2004, 02:28:16 pm »
Hi
you have been great with information from those who have been there! So appreciated.

We are ready to dig out for our concrete slab.  Can either put a conduit in the slab to access the elec. under the hot tub...or pour the slab and then use a flex. conduit from the disconnect box to the tub over top of the slab.  

Any opinions on what way you went and WHY?

Thanks!!! ???

Hot Tub Forum

Elec. conduit in slab or over slab??
« on: September 24, 2004, 02:28:16 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Elec. conduit in slab or over slab??
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 02:39:16 pm »
 I ran schedule 80 pvc from the disconnect to within a foot or so of the spa, then transformed to sealtite for the remainder of the run.  
If I recall, the maximum length of flexible, watertight conduit (sealtite) for a spa hookup is 6', including the length run inside the spa cabinet.  
I didn't choose to bury the line since it's not in the way.

Either way you list should be okay, but I'd consider if the exposed conduit would be subject to physical damage or a trip hazard.  For me it was not.  YMMV.
If so, you'd need to enclose it in approved conduit (not flex) and properly secure it to the concrete.  

Brewman
Brewman

zacman

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 03:40:05 pm »
I like it buried if possible - especially if there will be a long run outside of spa - but if a very short run it won't rellm make much difference.  But wherever you decide to locate it, check with the dealer so that its placement is correct for the spa placement.  If you go under the slab, you will need to know where you are going to pop up into the spa.  The dealer, at my delivery, located the spa on a flat dolly so it floated about 6" above the slab, and cut a hole in the bottom and ran the wires to the equipment and then lowered the spa onto the slab.  

cparlf

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 06:37:40 pm »
The electrician on ours buried the conduit, ran it out and around back of the spa, then up onto the slab tucked tight under the lip.  The 6" clearance on the back of the slab is not a traffic area, and viola, no trip hazzard.

Getting cold at night, each soak is getting better and better.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 08:54:01 pm »
Biggest problem I see with running the conduit in the slab and then come out at the right spot to do the hookup is that if you ever change spas then the electrical coming out of your slab might not be in the right spot.  We've got the flex conduit from our disconnect box and you can barely notice it.  The electrician ran it right along the bottom of the spa and into one of the punchout holes on the side.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

UnderTheStars

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 08:54:54 pm »
I wanted to come up on "the back side" of my slab.  Buried underground, conduit should be 18" deep.  Under the slab, conduit should be 12" deep.

You can come up through the slab & drill into bottom of equipment compartment. -  Just be sure the slab is big enough to allow you several inches to "move the tub & hit the mark."  But never ever run the conduit horizontal in the concrete slab.  Unless you pour an 8" (or thicker) slab it's a weak spot and will crack on the dotted line.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 09:11:23 pm »
I think the best option is put the conduit under the slab in the ground - or go ahead and put it in the slab if it's thick enough, i've run it in driveways without a problem. If that doesn't work for your situation you can always put it over the slab.

Also think ahead... if your slab is large and there is the future possiblility of wanting to run electrical or water from one side to the other - lay a couple of runs under/in the slab for future use.
e

keesterdog

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 10:13:45 am »
good advice emp,
 when i did the prep for our elec. i burried an extra capped off conduit just in case i bought a different tub down the road or if i just want to reposition the tub.

NittroT

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 01:27:43 pm »
I ran hard conduit under ground ,ran it to the shut off box on the house then ran seal tight from the shut off box under ground and came up through the patio into the bottom of the tub in the nearest corner.  Now that corner isnt nearest to the control panel, but I ran seal tight along the inside of the tub to the control panel and it came out great, Very clean look and no wires to trip over.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 04:19:43 pm »
I buried mine till it got to the slab and the electrical entrance to the skirt is one foot away from the end of the slab so the conduit comes up over the top of the slab for about 12". I put a plant and plant stand over it so nodoby trips on the conduit.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2004, 04:19:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42