What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Winterizing a hot tub  (Read 3548 times)

littleboss

Winterizing a hot tub
« on: May 25, 2020, 09:58:47 am »
Hi

Building a place in Colorado and will have a hot tub. Looking for an easy way to winterize it. On my RV I pump RV antifreeze through the system. The pump on the RV pulls it through. How would i do this on a hot tub?

Hot Tub Forum

Winterizing a hot tub
« on: May 25, 2020, 09:58:47 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Winterizing a hot tub
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 02:12:08 pm »
Hi

Building a place in Colorado and will have a hot tub. Looking for an easy way to winterize it. On my RV I pump RV antifreeze through the system. The pump on the RV pulls it through. How would i do this on a hot tub?

I would recommend you use a shop vac to evacuate water instead of glycol.
Retired

littleboss

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 03:02:23 pm »
How would you go about doing that? attach it to the plumbing lines near the pump?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:57:15 pm »
How would you go about doing that? attach it to the plumbing lines near the pump?

Do a complete drain. Use the shop vac to draw water out of lines through jets and push water out by blowing into the jets. Open the unions by the pump/s.
Retired

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 08:07:47 am »
Just know that when you take the water out of a hot tub for extended time the air gets at everything. Seals around jets deteriorate, Metal (heater element) will rust.  If you take the water out and keep the cover on it will get real damp and moist under there with outside temp changes and mold will grow. It will be even worse if you use RV anti freeze. If you have to winterize you have to suck and blow out every line open all the pumps and get ALL the water out from every orifice in the spa. Any water you can't get out will freeze, expand and crack plumbing. Spas that use one way check valves in the main plumbing often get missed as you have to remove the water from both sides of the check valve. Make sure to spray the interior shell with a mold inhibitor spray.

littleboss

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 03:56:04 pm »
We are building a summer home in Colorado and won't be there for the winter months. I don't want to have to leave the tub full of water and heated all winter. If I can't winterize without issue sounds like I better not get a hot tub

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 10:22:52 am »
We are building a summer home in Colorado and won't be there for the winter months. I don't want to have to leave the tub full of water and heated all winter. If I can't winterize without issue sounds like I better not get a hot tub

Don't get me wrong from my previous reply. Lots of folks winterize spas it just has to be done properly. I would also recommend you get a spa cover cap/bag that goes over the entire spa to protect it from winter weather and keep water from getting back into the spa and freezing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winterwise-Insulated-UV-Weatherproof-HOT-TUB-SPA-COVER-BAG-2-5m-x-2-4m-/172968172470

littleboss

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 01:36:03 pm »
Thanks. How low can you typically turn down the thermostat ? If If I could put it on 40-45 degrees I could leave it running all winter and wouldn't cost much to operate?

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 05:11:37 pm »
Risky..if there is a power out and no one there to reset the breaker your done for

CanadianSpaTech

littleboss

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 12:17:14 pm »
Thanks

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 08:13:36 am »
Easiest way is to just have your dealer winterize it.  That way, if anything does happen to freeze, it is on them. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 08:13:36 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42