What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: lower cost/size recommendations?  (Read 2183 times)

ecb75

lower cost/size recommendations?
« on: May 16, 2020, 11:19:51 am »
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first hot tub.  Some info on what I'm looking for/is important to me:

1.  Would primarily be for 2 average sized people, though being comfortable for 4 would be ideal.
2.  Plan to use year round in Massachusetts.
3.  Jet strength not a huge deal.  Typical usage would be 30-60 mins with some jets and some soaking.  Not planning to have lots of parties/keep it open for hours on end especially in winter.  Would like 1-2 lounger seats.  Don't need fancy features like a built-in sound system.
4.  Strongly prefer 110v to keep install costs down.
5.  Quality matters but likely will be living in this home for ~5 years and would be willing to leave behind when moving so I don't need something bulletproof.
6.  Not comfortable buying used.

Trying to keep the price at $4000 or lower.  Obviously there are options from the big box stores that fit these criteria but I know there's a lot of negative impressions of those products.  From those options these are the ones that stood out:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-Person-19-Jet-Spa-with-Stainless-Jets-and-110V-GFCI-Cord-Included-LPIXP19/301344689
https://www.costco.com/evolution-spas-rockport-27-jet-5-or-6-person-spa%2c-plug-n-play.product.100390145.html
https://www.costco.com/evolution-spas-safari-24-jet%2c-6-person-spa%2c-plug-n-play.product.100509936.html
https://www.samsclub.com/p/harmony-15-jet-cbble-lnger-w-wrap/prod20570133?xid=plp_product_1_3

I have looked at a few other brands (Nordic, Jacuzzi).  The lack of printed pricing is very frustrating but am curious about these as they may be in my price range:

https://www.jacuzzi.com/en-us/hot-tubs/product-list/square-lounge-seating-hot-tub
https://www.nordichottubs.com/retreat-all-in-110v/#

It's a hard purchase to figure out especially in a pandemic where you can't go into a store.  The big box options you'll always be buying blind but there are a significant number of reviews that indicate happy owners (plus I do have good feelings toward Costco as a company and generally believe they wouldn't want to carry products with significant manufacturing defects - less convinced Home Depot would care).  Does anyone have direct negative experience with the big box options?  Is there a "best of the worst" that I should consider?  And which other hot tubs should I be looking into in my price range?

Thanks for the help!

Hot Tub Forum

lower cost/size recommendations?
« on: May 16, 2020, 11:19:51 am »

ecb75

Re: lower cost/size recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 11:26:06 am »
One other comment - I expect to have this installed while a contractor is doing other work around the house so they can take care of a proper foundation and placement.  They are experienced with placing hot tubs on property so I am comfortable that they will handle the curb to yard placement and setup properly.

ecb75

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 07:17:49 pm »
another note on this, leaning more towards a 220v.  the Lifesmart Curacao DLX is appealing and is made by Watkins which I understand is a respectable manufacturer.  like the seat configuration and the price for a starter tub.  anyone have experience with this particular model?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 08:23:03 pm »
Watkins is a good manufacturer. They definetely don’t build these tubs to the same standards as the stuff sold in brick and mortar stores. I’m in Mass and we do some warranty work for these tubs through Costco.  I do get a lot of calls for warranty work but I don’t know the volume of tubs they sell so not sure if it’s a lot or a little based on percentages. I do know that a minimum service call in my area for a in warranty charge from a tub not bought from us is $179. Warranty is short but if you are comfortable with having a short warranty and only expect to be at house for a couple of years maybe it’s a decent option. Based on number of jets and size of pump it probably won’t move water very well.

ecb75

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:42:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply - I don't think Costco sells Lifesmart though they may have in the past.  I do see them in Sam's Club now.  I'm surprised there's a service charge for an in-warranty call.  Would that be true for all service repair options?  I'd probably extend the warranty (1 yr parts/labor is another $400) to try and avoid any unexpected expenses.

Do you know anything about the texture of the interior of the Lifesmart tubs?  I've heard a couple people say they're kind of rough which is concerning since I can't actually feel it.  Do you heard a lot of complaints about it?  I'd like the tub to actually be relaxing not exfoliating.  :)

Anything else in this price range I might want to consider?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 09:49:57 pm »
Read the fine print on the warranty. Travel charge is and diagnostic charge is not included. Granted when we sell a tub we don’t charge this fee. Texture is similar to free flow or fantasy spas if you have seen one of those. Or similar to some of the Nordic shells if you have seen those. Under 4K is tough to get quality. You are almost better looking used through a dealer. There are some reputable used tub dealers in Mass depending on where you are located. Not sure what they will have left. I’m on the south coast and we had a good amount of used tubs available when this started but they are long gone. Other issue you will probably run into is how quick are you trying to buy a tub?  Watkins is still closed. Looking like they may reopen around June 1st or so.

ecb75

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 11:11:36 pm »
Yeah still got some reading to do on the details of the warranty for sure.  I haven't felt the texture of those spas; is it similar to a plasticy bathtub with a dense fine grain to help prevent slipping?  I think that would be OK I just don't want it to be a coarser texture that would hurt if you're moving from place to place in the tub.

This would be for Metro West MA.  I'm not psyched to try and track down a used tub.  The place I'm looking at buying from (outletspas.com) has some "special edition" versions that are ready to ship.  Makes sense that stock went away quickly when the pandemic struck.  I'd like to have it around 7/1.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 11:11:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42