What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new Aquaterra from costco - chemical question  (Read 3476 times)

lizzels

new Aquaterra from costco - chemical question
« on: April 23, 2020, 06:28:56 pm »
Hello all,

I recently ordered an Aquaterra Calavera from Costco to help make my backyard more welcoming while we are all stuck at home.  This is my first hot tub, and I know that this is not going to be the fanciest spa.  Still, it was inexpensive and available and didn't require going to a dealer in the midst of a pandemic, so that's where we netted out.  Plus, it can be hooked up as a plug and play, so I don't need to allow an electrician into my home to do the wiring.  (I might convert it to hard wired down the line.)

I got what I think are all the chemicals I'll need (ph/alkalinity increaser, calcium increaser, bromine reserve, bromine tablets, a floater, a shock treatment, metal gon, and I think that's it) but then I read that Aquaterra recommends against using a floater and says to use granules instead.  Why would this be?  I thought that it was impossible to keep the chemical levels right using only granules with bromine.

Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

new Aquaterra from costco - chemical question
« on: April 23, 2020, 06:28:56 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: new Aquaterra from costco - chemical question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 08:14:57 am »
Hello all,

I recently ordered an Aquaterra Calavera from Costco to help make my backyard more welcoming while we are all stuck at home.  This is my first hot tub, and I know that this is not going to be the fanciest spa.  Still, it was inexpensive and available and didn't require going to a dealer in the midst of a pandemic, so that's where we netted out.  Plus, it can be hooked up as a plug and play, so I don't need to allow an electrician into my home to do the wiring.  (I might convert it to hard wired down the line.)

I got what I think are all the chemicals I'll need (ph/alkalinity increaser, calcium increaser, bromine reserve, bromine tablets, a floater, a shock treatment, metal gon, and I think that's it) but then I read that Aquaterra recommends against using a floater and says to use granules instead.  Why would this be?  I thought that it was impossible to keep the chemical levels right using only granules with bromine.

Thanks in advance!

First off yes it was cheap but it will use more power and require higher maintenance so you may not of saved any money.

Second, you bought ph/alk increaser because your ph/alk in the source water is low? Calcium in source water low? Metal in your source water? I assume your shock is MPS?

A feeder puts sanitizer (bromine in your case) into the water all the time, even when it's not needed. They say this can prematurely corrode internal components, mostly if those components aren't of the best quality. Granular is added after use as needed and dissipates quickly after it has done its work.
Retired

lizzels

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 02:33:43 pm »
Yes, I tested our water and ph, alkalinity, and calcium were all low. The shock I got is Leisure Time Renew potassium peroxymonopersulfate.

I realize that this hot tub is not going to be a forever investment for my family and might not be cheaper in the long run. Under ordinary circumstances, we probably would have done more research and visited dealers in person, and had been willing to wait longer and probably spend more. But times are anything but ordinary right now, and I am not comfortable with an electrician coming into my home given my family’s risk factors. If we end up deciding to upgrade in a couple of years, so be it. Not trying to convince you we made the “right” decision, just explaining why we did what we did.

Thanks for answering my question about a floater. I thought that granular bromine was only used initially and then a floater was used to keep levels up once it’s going. But it sounds like I have more homework to do.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 05:35:54 pm »
Yes, I tested our water and ph, alkalinity, and calcium were all low. The shock I got is Leisure Time Renew potassium peroxymonopersulfate.

I realize that this hot tub is not going to be a forever investment for my family and might not be cheaper in the long run. Under ordinary circumstances, we probably would have done more research and visited dealers in person, and had been willing to wait longer and probably spend more. But times are anything but ordinary right now, and I am not comfortable with an electrician coming into my home given my family’s risk factors. If we end up deciding to upgrade in a couple of years, so be it. Not trying to convince you we made the “right” decision, just explaining why we did what we did.

Thanks for answering my question about a floater. I thought that granular bromine was only used initially and then a floater was used to keep levels up once it’s going. But it sounds like I have more homework to do.

Free flow aqua terra spa is better then no spa 💧Enjoy it!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 07:59:53 am »

I wasn't trying to do anything other than explain cheap is not necessarily cheaper. I have had several less expensive options than the top notch ones.

Yes granular bromine to start a reserve and then a floater to maintain it, still adding sanitizer when none is needed. Yes, potassium peroxymonopersulfate (MPS)

Keeping the sanitizer levels right is easy, you go in and you introduce nasties to the water, you get out and you add sanitizer and kill the nasties you introduced, simple. Using bromine keep your ppm level available all the time. Using chlorine bring the level up high enough to kill the nasties then let it drop to almost 0ppm. MPS as a shock weekly.

Treat water balancing as a separate thing then sanitizing. Adjust PH/ALK as needed to get close to optimum balance.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 07:59:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42