What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with selecting a hot tub please  (Read 4966 times)

Sludge Factory

Help with selecting a hot tub please
« on: March 04, 2020, 10:31:46 am »
I ask this as a favor because my wife and I are limited in the time we have to go around looking at tubs.  I know a hot tub is a personal choice and what is loved by one person might be hated by the next.  I'm just looking for a little help to narrow down my search and if lucky get some real owner advice of these tubs.  This is a bit overwhelming just trying to read about these online so I'm hoping if I list the dealers in my area maybe you all could recommend tubs we should look at in the 5-8k range.   We want therapy and relaxation if that helps.  This way maybe it will help cut down on our time running around and looking at tubs that don't fit.  In my area we have Marquis, Artesian, Hot Springs, Bullfrog, Viking, catalina and signature spas. 

Hot Tub Forum

Help with selecting a hot tub please
« on: March 04, 2020, 10:31:46 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Help with selecting a hot tub please
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 11:36:48 am »
I ask this as a favor because my wife and I are limited in the time we have to go around looking at tubs.  I know a hot tub is a personal choice and what is loved by one person might be hated by the next.  I'm just looking for a little help to narrow down my search and if lucky get some real owner advice of these tubs.  This is a bit overwhelming just trying to read about these online so I'm hoping if I list the dealers in my area maybe you all could recommend tubs we should look at in the 5-8k range.   We want therapy and relaxation if that helps.  This way maybe it will help cut down on our time running around and looking at tubs that don't fit.  In my area we have Marquis, Artesian, Hot Springs, Bullfrog, Viking, catalina and signature spas.

I'm sure most everyone will agree that Marquis, Artesian, Hot Springs and Bullfrog are really a step above the other manufacturers on your list.

Not everyone has the time to visit every option in their area but I think you'd be wise to at least visit those 4 to get a feel for their offerings and to get an idea of whether you feel comfortable that each establishment seems the type to give you the post-purchase support you may need down the line.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:29:25 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Sludge Factory

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 12:02:26 pm »
Should all these manufacturers have tubs in the 5-8k range?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 12:33:45 pm »

They all should have something in that range. Budgets sometimes are based on $$ available, plain and simple and that's your business. Other times they are a factor of what people want to spend and what they expect to see. In that case a LOT of people end up reevaluating when they see what the market has to offer. You can certainly get something pretty darn good at the top of that range and you can get something functional fine at the bottom as well but it just depends on your expectations.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 01:06:19 pm »

Where it gets convoluted is while there is a name brand, there will be 3-5 product lines per mfgr. on average.  Thus - comparing (say) Marquis to Artesian requires more info.  Is it the Celebrity line vs. the South Seas line?  Etc.  That is the essence of "comparing apples to apples", as there is very much a range in quality, build technique, amenities, warranty, etc. in all of the ranges of most brands.

Check around in the "mid-range" (or whatever semantics one prefers) product lines of these brands (Hot Springs tends to run really high in relative comparison of their product line to the rest of the field) of the aforementioned brands that are in your area.  From there - research the dealer and make sure they're reputable.  When able - visit the store and sit in the empty and wet test (virtually a must) to fully have your expectations met as to performance.  From there, find out and compare pricing.

That should set you down the best path of education so that you make the correct decision for you and your family!  I hope this helps.  Good luck moving forward.

bud16415

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 06:36:18 pm »
I started in much the same point naively thinking 3-5k should get me a nice tub. What the heck it’s a big plastic box with a pump and a heater right? Well once we started I quickly saw 5-8k was more where what I thought she wanted would be located. Then we started testing them and shopping around It seemed a 4 person tub should be more than enough for 2 people most of the time but boy a 6 person just seemed so much better. We are both tall and the deeper tubs even though they are only 3-4” deeper seemed so much better. One thing lead to another and what she loved was about $12k. The slick talking sales people pointed out the top of the line tub I would never want to upgrade in a few years and it might last 20 years compared to 10 or less of the cheaper tubs. Don’t know if that is true or not, but I figured it out and the expensive tub came out to $12 per week if it lasted that long or a couple bucks per day.

Pretty much I convinced myself with the help of the sales people and wanting to get her what would make her happy that the savings in power and the long life of the tub plus it is a step up from what our good friends have for a tub and how can you put a price on tub envy. We sprung for the top of the line.

I know these things are luxury items and its like buying anything luxury you are going to pay more for it.

After having it now for 5 years I would say at least a 100 times we have been in the tub chatting and one of us will say how glad we are that we upgraded. It is one of those pampering yourself purchases that some people seem to have no trouble making and I’m the type of person that most of my life I denied myself.

My advice is test a bunch out and one will speak to you and if at all possible figure out how to make that one happen. People spend lots of money going on a 2 week cruise and then it is over. I kind of look at it as every night I can go take a 1 hour cruise and never leave the house.   

PS i had Alexa play me some Alice in Chains the other day.

Sludge Factory

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 07:57:39 pm »
Thank you all for responding.  Some great info there.  I do appreciate it.  I'd like to pay cash but wouldn't be opposed to financing some if it made sense and was worth it.  So I guess we'll have to see.  If you finance these things do you pay a higher price?   I've never looked into it.  I hate financing. 

Oh and Bud, keep on playing that Alice in Chains and throw in some Mad Season too!!  :)

ratchett

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 07:48:29 am »
Thank you all for responding.  Some great info there.  I do appreciate it.  I'd like to pay cash but wouldn't be opposed to financing some if it made sense and was worth it.  So I guess we'll have to see.  If you finance these things do you pay a higher price?   I've never looked into it.  I hate financing. 

From what I've seen in my experiences shopping for a spa and from the dealers on these groups, it sounds like having cash in hand will always give you the best negotiating power.  It sounds like dealers are less willing to negotiate prices if you're financing the spa.

Cash talks in this industry, have your checkbook with you and they will be much more likely to negotiate if they know you'll be buying the spa that day.

Sludge Factory

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 10:17:49 am »

From what I've seen in my experiences shopping for a spa and from the dealers on these groups, it sounds like having cash in hand will always give you the best negotiating power.  It sounds like dealers are less willing to negotiate prices if you're financing the spa.

Cash talks in this industry, have your checkbook with you and they will be much more likely to negotiate if they know you'll be buying the spa that day.

I could pay cash but we have other things we want to do around the house also.  So I'm kinda torn, I'm probably not going to want to pay more because I financed it.  So I'll probably be stuck in the 5-8k range. 

The Wizard of Spas

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 12:55:16 pm »
To generalize - Financing fees are paid at the very least by the dealer, and in certain cases - also by the purchaser.  While you might be offered a rate of "X Months Same-As-Cash" and there is no financing fees attached to the price insofar as you pay it off w/in the allotted time frame, the dealer is still charged a percentage of the total cost of the transaction.  If the rate is 36 months at (say) 6%, then while you pay interest, the dealer still is getting tagged with a financing charge from the lender.  Dealers usually have to anticipate 5-8% fees of the total financed amount.  That right there is, say, a set of steps, or cover lift, or both if the spa is priced high enough. 

That is why you see things "thrown in."  It's because dealers already have $X allotted for financing fees and if you pay cash they "throw in" the same basic cost they were incurring but position it as a benefit to the consumer.

Savvy dealers blend a flat rate to all spas they sell - say 2-ish % of the retail price for those that finance, use a credit card, or write a check, which helps cover all processing fees when you look at your sales on a macro level - and give you a "Pay Any Way" price, and have an additional built-in cushion so that if you do pay cash and really negotiate hard for a deal, they are still able to give you a "discount" and close the deal w/o really giving any discount.

This is why I love no longer working on commission.

I now tell those who have to negotiate for the "best price" to walk away at whatever the bottom price offered is.  If they give you a better price in a few days, that will be more likely the bottom-dollar.  If they don't then there is your answer.

I hope this helps.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 02:21:05 pm »

I now tell those who have to negotiate for the "best price" to walk away at whatever the bottom price offered is.  If they give you a better price in a few days, that will be more likely the bottom-dollar.  If they don't then there is your answer.

I hope this helps.

I Agree. Always ask if the salesman is on commission. Know their motivation. The more he/she can get out of you the more they will make. They have to make a risk/reward assessment about you. A good commission salesman will always hold a little back to cover risk in case you walk. They can't call you after you have walked with nothing left to offer. Like WOS says the number you get after the call back will likely be closer to the bottom number...but wait there's more...lol even after you get to that bottom number and you are confident in the deal play hardball tell them I will accept the price BUT I also want 2 free service calls and 10-15% off on all future in store purchases neither of which will cut into their commission today and not worth it to them to loose the sale over. May the best man win. FYI after you sign on the bottom line A) you have lost all leverage going forward and B) this is likely the last time you will ever talk to the salesman again. Going forward it will be customer service/service department you deal with.

JMO 

d00nut

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 04:23:12 pm »
FYI after you sign on the bottom line A) you have lost all leverage going forward and B) this is likely the last time you will ever talk to the salesman again. Going forward it will be customer service/service department you deal with.

A) Maybe in your business, but not in mine.  I feel like a lot of dealers who got it right sell based on relationships.  Once someone signs on the dotted line for us, there are a lot of ways out of any agreement, especially since 90% of our deposits are 100% refundable up till delivery.  If you sign on the bottom line and feel like you are giving up all freedom... DONT SIGN.  That is called a red flag.

B) How many dealers have you worked for or with?  Again, about 90% of the ones I have met are like me.  What is a customer service department?  Oh... it's our salespeople, who also are our point people for helping out with watercare and overall customer satisfaction.  True, I do have separate service techs... but a whole customer service department?  Certainly we are not big enough to have something like that... maybe one day... in the distant future.

castletonia

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 05:43:55 pm »
Maybe I don't fit the bill for a "good commissioned salesman" then.  When my customer's ask for my best, take it or leave it price, I provide that to them. 

Working in a small business, I wear a lot of hats (customer service, triage phone calls, water testing, etc) and I have better things to do than lead along a customer trying to eke out an extra $100-$200.  I value my time just as much as you value yours.  If my best price isn't good enough, then maybe it wasn't meant to be.  Either I didn't do my job good enough and explain the value behind buying the product and company I represent, your budget and expectations were not in alignment with the price and value of my product, or someone else had a different hot tub that was less expensive. 

FWIW, I just refunded a customer a deposit after they signed on the dotted line.  They claimed that they could get the same hot tub I sold at a competing dealer for $1,500 less.  I didn't blink an eye and refunded them.  My price was my best price and that $1,500 difference wasn't worth it.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 06:03:25 pm »
FYI after you sign on the bottom line A) you have lost all leverage going forward and B) this is likely the last time you will ever talk to the salesman again. Going forward it will be customer service/service department you deal with.

A) Maybe in your business, but not in mine.  I feel like a lot of dealers who got it right sell based on relationships.  Once someone signs on the dotted line for us, there are a lot of ways out of any agreement, especially since 90% of our deposits are 100% refundable up till delivery.  If you sign on the bottom line and feel like you are giving up all freedom... DONT SIGN.  That is called a red flag.

B) How many dealers have you worked for or with?  Again, about 90% of the ones I have met are like me.  What is a customer service department?  Oh... it's our salespeople, who also are our point people for helping out with watercare and overall customer satisfaction.  True, I do have separate service techs... but a whole customer service department?  Certainly we are not big enough to have something like that... maybe one day... in the distant future.

Almost exactly this in my business as well. I own the company and sell probably 40%-50% of the tubs sold at my company. I deal with almost everyone and make it a point to introduce myself to each customer we do business with.  My sales people are my customer service team as well. I don’t know any companies where the salesperson is 100% only a salesperson.

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 06:51:14 pm »
JMO

Sorry Sludge Factory I'll end this here and try to get this post back on track for you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 06:51:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42