What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Beachcomber. Thought of the day  (Read 13495 times)

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
Re: Beachcomber. Thought of the day
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2004, 06:22:18 pm »
I'm not sure I see a major difference between a plastic sheet attached to the bottom and an enclosed base.  I believe mine would be more like an enclosed base as it is upturned on the edges (I think).  I won't be able to pull a panel and check tonight as I won't be home until well after dark but I'll try to remember to look at it tomorrow after work and let you know.  Or maybe a picture is worth a thousand words--I'll post what I see for you.
 8)

The upturned pan will not allow for seepage into the cavity and obviously encloses the entire base of the spa better. If that is what you have it's great. I haven't ever seen that on a Master (with plastic) and wonder why they went away from it. You might be right though it may not make much difference as long as they are using a good grade of galvanized steel on the base to prevent rust. I'm also going to do some more research on what kind of steel that is as I have read many posts that claim it as substandard.

My interest is peaked now and I really want to understand how they do it.

It would be great if you’d post the pictures! I haven't figured out how to do that yet!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2004, 06:22:18 pm »

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2004, 07:16:48 pm »
This post is really interesting. For several reasons. All of the dealers that we visited made some mention or other about the strength of their base. Arctic flipped one on its side to show the pan (1/8 to 1/4 inch thick) made of some polymer composite.  The Hotsprings dealer showed us their product which was more like a poured resin.  

Now I'm doubting what I remember from the Sundance dealers and the others. I went through my notes (yes my wife thinks I'm nuts when I do this for this forum) but could not find any mention of the Sundance base, but I thought for sure that it was a poured resin.

Tomorrow morn I'm going to go to my dealer and look for myself.

I should get a life! LOL ;D

Jordy

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2004, 09:57:28 pm »
Steve-Take a Pill!!! I responded to TALKCalgary's question in a sarcastic manner because I really don't understand the rationale behind his purchasing decision at all. I'm guessing that his concern about the lack of protection on the underside of a Beachcomber was outweighed by the other aspects of the tub that he enjoyed. As you know, I sold Beachcomber for years in Calgary and I was also critical of this weakness in the design. You and I have both seen firsthand the effects that the weather, rodents and insects have on a tub with an exposed base. I am not some braindead salesman nor am I "hard up for sales". I hope that you have an opportunity to visit when you are in Calgary next time. If you do, I'm sure that you will perhaps leave with a somewhat different opinion. Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings by expressing my opinion in the manner I did.
Truly,
Darren J.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2004, 07:41:26 pm »
Taz,
Check out the photos at

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brdhd/album?.dir=e8c7

Sorry the light wasn't better--I'll try to replace the photos of the 'innards' during the middle-of-the-day light this weekend.  The pan (and it is indeed a pan) is definitely a hard plastic.  Sorry to disappoint the metal frame naysayers regarding rivets but there are no rivets--only sheet metal screws.  No signs of rust yet, though it's only been installed since July.  The photo which highlights the circ pump shows the rubber motor mounts.  This is the case for each motor.  Also, you can get a good look at the "flimsy" panels--certainly properly engineered for the application, IMHO.  Anyway, I'm happy so I guess that's what counts the most!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2004, 09:03:31 pm »
Taz,
Check out the photos at

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brdhd/album?.dir=e8c7

Sorry the light wasn't better--I'll try to replace the photos of the 'innards' during the middle-of-the-day light this weekend.  The pan (and it is indeed a pan) is definitely a hard plastic.  Sorry to disappoint the metal frame naysayers regarding rivets but there are no rivets--only sheet metal screws.  No signs of rust yet, though it's only been installed since July.  The photo which highlights the circ pump shows the rubber motor mounts.  This is the case for each motor.  Also, you can get a good look at the "flimsy" panels--certainly properly engineered for the application, IMHO.  Anyway, I'm happy so I guess that's what counts the most!
 8)

Hey Windy!
Thanks, I think that is the same material I saw but it felt like a rubber material (it was pretty flexible).

Spa looks great! Have you lost any of the Stainless escutcheons around the jets? They had some of those coming off at the show.

I've sat in the that spa, it really is pretty cool.

Did you have people telling you rivets were bad? I would think that rivets are less likely to deteriorate or come loose than screws (not yours of course!)?  ;)

Do you have any idea what the little bit of extra foam around the pump unions I see is for? Maybe just some overspray? Then again it might be for vibration……

Last question, when you pull any of the other panels do they have a center support? If it were me I would go buy a couple of metal studs from Home Depot and just cut and screw them into the middle on each side. It certainly wouldn't hurt and might rigidize that whole spa cabinet and give better shell support for a longer life.

OK I lied, more questions, how do you like that alcove seat and which seat is your favorite?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2004, 10:51:01 pm »
Have you lost any of the Stainless escutcheons around the jets? They had some of those coming off at the show.

Nope.  The escutcheons have 4 very small tabs that are bent around on the larger jets.  I have had all the jets out for cleaning except the smallest jets--couldn't get them out and haven't asked whether they come out or not yet.  Don't know about their escutcheons.
Did you have people telling you rivets were bad?

There have been a few comments but that is old history in old threads that are best left alone.  I just wanted to get the facts out about my spa which I assume is representative of other MS spas.
Do you have any idea what the little bit of extra foam around the pump unions I see is for? Maybe just some overspray? Then again it might be for vibration……

It looks like overspray but I'm not sure they didn't spray it on purpose.....they seem to have covered all the pipes with a layer of it.  I haven't had the other panels off so I'm assuming they've done the same elsewhere.
Last question, when you pull any of the other panels do they have a center support?
Since I haven't pulled them, I don't know for sure but I would be surprised if they did have them.  On second thought, looking down from the front panel, I don't remember seeing any.  I'll not make any alterations--I figure they know what they are doing and time will tell.  I'll either be an MS supporter for life or will find reasons to poo-poo'em.
OK I lied, more questions, how do you like that alcove seat and which seat is your favorite?

Absolutely love the alcove seat (Xtreme Therapy Seat--MS lingo).  The massage you get on the outer thighs is terrific.  The 2 whirlpool jets will rock your world if you so desire.  What is not noticed are the 2 small jets down at the front of the seat--great Achilles tendon massage.  I just got out of the tub after staring at the 1st quarter moon for about an hour and I did the same routine I usually do.....Xtreme seat for 15 min. or so, shoulder seat for about 10 or so, coffee seat (between the shoulder seat and lounger--so named because it is the shallowest therapy seat and perfect for drinking morning coffee) for 10 min or so, then the lounger for at least 15 min. and, after all jets cycle off, rest in the lounger 'suspended' in the quiet tub for at least 20 or so min., most times falling asleep for a quick cat nap or two.  The only seat I rarely frequent is the cool down seat since I have my tub set around 96 degrees, I usually don't have to cool down.
BTW, if you haven't checked out the LSX review here at the review pages, I tried to give it a thorough going over.
Thanks for the kind words!  Hope this helps....
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2004, 10:51:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42