What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leak at Gate valve  (Read 2224 times)

HollyinCali

Leak at Gate valve
« on: February 03, 2020, 12:20:14 pm »
I have an old hot tub that currently has a slow leak at the gate valve, where I drain it. It's old, so the gate valve is behind a panel I have to take off to access. I'm assuming my only option is to cut the pvc and replace, but could I put a ball shutoff valve in its place? current valve is sealed, no option to take apart and assess. Is ball valve not a wise decision? I was just going to go to home depot and see what they have. otherwise I'll wait and order one online. Appreciate any feedback.

Holly

Hot Tub Forum

Leak at Gate valve
« on: February 03, 2020, 12:20:14 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Leak at Gate valve
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 02:10:53 pm »
I have an old hot tub that currently has a slow leak at the gate valve, where I drain it. It's old, so the gate valve is behind a panel I have to take off to access. I'm assuming my only option is to cut the pvc and replace, but could I put a ball shutoff valve in its place? current valve is sealed, no option to take apart and assess. Is ball valve not a wise decision? I was just going to go to home depot and see what they have. otherwise I'll wait and order one online. Appreciate any feedback.

Holly

Gate valves are handy when you want to replace a pump without draining the spa but the reality is they're susceptible to leaking themselves as you've experienced When they leak you can replace them with another gate valve (slice valve) or take it completely out of the picture by replacing it with just a piece of hose/pipe or as you mentioned a simple ball valve will work as well.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

bud16415

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 06:38:57 pm »
What does the output side look like? Is it a thread for a hose to attach? If it is you can buy a screw on cap and that will stop the leak and you wont have to mess with much else.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 06:38:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42