What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sodium Bromide is now BANNED in Canada and it is recommended that all "Salt" sys  (Read 13033 times)

CanadianSpaTech

Sodium Bromide is now BANNED in Canada and it is recommended that all "Salt" systems be deactivated and removed.

FYI...

Sodium Bromide is now BANNED in Canada (Think by Nov 2020) and it is recommended that all "Salt" systems be deactivated and removed. Retail sales of sodium bromide will continue until Nov 2020 and then stop to allow retailers time to sell any remaining stock. Kinda odd that they say it can kill you...but sell what you have left

Below clipped from the interweb:

The Canadian government released the following risk mitigation measures to protect the general population from residual exposure.

Manufacturers have been informed of the new changes, and parts and supplies are no longer available for the maintenance of sodium bromide systems.
Manufacturers have cancelled all bromine swimming pools, spa electrolysis devices, or sodium bromide products intended for use in swimming pools and spa electrolysis devices.
Sodium bromide spa products used in combination with potassium monopersulfate are also no longer permitted for use.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/consumer-product-safety/reports-publications/pesticides-pest-management/decisions-updates/reevaluation-decision/2018/sodium-bromide.html#a4

Human Health
To protect the general population from residential exposure, the following risk-reduction measures are required for continued registration of sodium bromide in Canada:

Cancellation of all bromine swimming pool or spa electrolysis devices and sodium bromide products intended to be used with swimming pool or spa electrolysis devices.
Sodium bromide spa products used in combination with potassium monopersulfate will be removed from Schedule 2 of the Pest Control Product Regulations as part of future regulatory amendments and will no longer be permitted for use.
All chlorine swimming pool or spa electrolysis devices are to indicate that they are not to be used with bromide products.
All remaining sodium bromide swimming pool and spa products are to indicate that they are not to be used in combination with electrolysis, ozonation or UV.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:48:47 am by Forum Admin »

Hot Tub Forum

BullFrogSpasMN

Hasn't Canada been trying to ban Bromine for years now? hopefully the US doesn't follow along to this utter nonsense

bud16415

Normally when something is banned for health reasons there is some data of people getting sick and dieing from it. I read the first 10 pages that came up when I googled this and nothing supporting the claim that I could find.

I can’t wait for the ads on TV saying, “If you ever owned or soaked in a hot tub in Canada you may have a claim! Call our law firm and we will get money for you.”

This is so much baloney and I hope and pray the United States never goes this far. I sadly think we are moving in that direction.
 :)

The Wizard of Spas

Normally when something is banned for health reasons there is some data of people getting sick and dieing from it. I read the first 10 pages that came up when I googled this and nothing supporting the claim that I could find.

I can’t wait for the ads on TV saying, “If you ever owned or soaked in a hot tub in Canada you may have a claim! Call our law firm and we will get money for you.”

This is so much baloney and I hope and pray the United States never goes this far. I sadly think we are moving in that direction.

Curious as to your reasoning.  This comes from a yearning to learn more and is not at all challenge to your thoughts / stance.  I have a cognitive dissonance on this topic as there has got to be both logical and scientific reasoning behind it for Canada to enact this but at the same time we don't have any real data provided.  There has to be a measured, public safety-concerned reason for this, no? 

(I also did some digging and sort of gave up as I couldn't really find the hard info as to the "why," hence the cognitive dissonance.)

bud16415

Curious as to your reasoning.  This comes from a yearning to learn more and is not at all challenge to your thoughts / stance.  I have a cognitive dissonance on this topic as there has got to be both logical and scientific reasoning behind it for Canada to enact this but at the same time we don't have any real data provided.  There has to be a measured, public safety-concerned reason for this, no? 

(I also did some digging and sort of gave up as I couldn't really find the hard info as to the "why," hence the cognitive dissonance.)

You are assuming as I used to do that logic and science ruled the decision making process of our governments. At one time I think that was true but we live in a far different world today. It seems we start with a conclusion and then look for facts to substantiate it. When none are there we don’t let that stop us after all we have our conclusion already and we can’t change our minds after all we know chemicals are bad for us right?

I’m sure and I found some mention in the report that enough Sodium Bromide is a bad thing to be in or ingest. It is used to treat water treatment facilities that have gone down hill and need serious treatments to resolve so lets extrapolate those levels to hot tubs and of course that would take our hide off and surely kill us if we drank it.

Some of the manufactures offered questions stating our levels are many times lower than seawater no one is banning soaking in the ocean. The answer was more mumbo jumbo as far as I could understand.

Like every other rule like this people will work around it somehow and it will be impossible to enforce.

I live in Pennsylvania and not the government but PITA is demanding we replace the groundhog with a robot. Haha. We need a law to protect the most well kept well fed groundhog in the world.

If you find any positive reason to drop salt gen systems please let us know. I will be looking more also. 

CanadianSpaTech

I too have been searching for more plane language on the ban of sodium bromide without much luck (or being able to understand the technical science mumbo jumbo stuff when I do find information..lol). As a Canadian Tech it is something my spa owner/customers are likely going to have to deal with in the near future. I am already noticing "Discontinued" on a lot of the Canadian spa product web sites that offer Sodium Bromide. I also found a tech offering a decommission package so there may be an upside for my service business. I have never liked or promoted "Salt" systems and as a tech I see the long term costs and aftermath all the time. During my recent searching I found this page and the video attached on it explains "Salt" systems and the "why not" to a T. See below.

If anyone finds more plain language on the "Why" sodium bromide has been banned please share. Also have not found any information on if spa owners will be able to order from the US and bring it into Canada.

https://hottubuniversity.com/salt-systems-on-hot-tubs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=393&v=q8KRKGZrMfE&feature=emb_logo

BullFrogSpasMN

I too have been searching for more plane language on the ban of sodium bromide without much luck (or being able to understand the technical science mumbo jumbo stuff when I do find information..lol). As a Canadian Tech it is something my spa owner/customers are likely going to have to deal with in the near future. I am already noticing "Discontinued" on a lot of the Canadian spa product web sites that offer Sodium Bromide. I also found a tech offering a decommission package so there may be an upside for my service business. I have never liked or promoted "Salt" systems and as a tech I see the long term costs and aftermath all the time. During my recent searching I found this page and the video attached on it explains "Salt" systems and the "why not" to a T. See below.

If anyone finds more plain language on the "Why" sodium bromide has been banned please share. Also have not found any information on if spa owners will be able to order from the US and bring it into Canada.

https://hottubuniversity.com/salt-systems-on-hot-tubs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=393&v=q8KRKGZrMfE&feature=emb_logo

lol so much bad information here it's quite comical....then again a lot of what Mr Hot Tub Univ. says is good for a few laughs so not surprising

bud16415

As I live on the bank of Lake Erie it is just a 30 mile short boat ride to Canada. During prohibition the Canadian bootleggers brought across booze and had a lucrative business. Maybe I need to buy a boat and bootleg Spa supplies to return the favor.

Then again Canada will then have to build a 30 foot high wall along the whole boarder.

BullFrogSpasMN

As I live on the bank of Lake Erie it is just a 30 mile short boat ride to Canada. During prohibition the Canadian bootleggers brought across booze and had a lucrative business. Maybe I need to buy a boat and bootleg Spa supplies to return the favor.

Then again Canada will then have to build a 30 foot high wall along the whole boarder.

bud's gonna be making runs across the border with a boat full of 50lb bags of sodium bromide  ;D ;D ;D

bud16415

bud's gonna be making runs across the border with a boat full of 50lb bags of sodium bromide  ;D ;D ;D

I’m just going to bring bags of Morton Salt. They can make their own deadly chlorine if they want to.

CanadianSpaTech

lol so much bad information here it's quite comical....then again a lot of what Mr Hot Tub Univ. says is good for a few laughs so not surprising
[/quote]

What is it you find comical? please enlighten me

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member

[/quote]

What I find comical about his site is the guy acts like he’s the god of hot tubs. He’s a salesman, nothing more nothing less. Works for him so good for him

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke

What I find comical about his site is the guy acts like he’s the god of hot tubs. He’s a salesman, nothing more nothing less. Works for him so good for him
[/quote]

Everything he says is geared to sell more of what he sells. Master doesn't offer salt do they?
Retired

swilly1000

[/quote]

Yeah that's what he does.  He thinks he's the GOD of hot tubs.  Just Alec Baldwin in Malice (1993).  Take your head out of your ass.

CanadianSpaTech

I too have been searching for more plane language on the ban of sodium bromide without much luck (or being able to understand the technical science mumbo jumbo stuff when I do find information..lol). As a Canadian Tech it is something my spa owner/customers are likely going to have to deal with in the near future.

If anyone finds more plain language on the "Why" sodium bromide has been banned please share.

Back to the intent of my original post. MrU God not a God questions aside.

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42